Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Armaggeddon that's the papers.

Anyway on topic too many showers to count still coming from the NW but now of sleet 2.8c.

Its been very good for showers tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Just attempted to get up to Flash on the Peaks. I had to abandon the journey as I climbed the hill by the Roaches as conditions became awful. I managed to climb the hill just about but at the top the snow was all over the road and cars were stuck up ahead so I decided to turn and ended up sliding back down having to use my handbrake to slow me. 

Altitude is making all the difference as it was raining in Leek but climb and you get into thick fog and snow. Will try again tomorrow if it survives the night!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Rain here now looks like an end to a current cold spell but not for long only a three day blip as we return to perhaps something even colder but mainly dry. After 7 days who know the mods keep flip flopping but there is huge potential still.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, snowangel32 said:

Rain here now looks like an end to a current cold spell but not for long only a three day blip as we return to perhaps something even colder but mainly dry. After 7 days who know the mods keep flip flopping but there is huge potential still.

Agreed,,,,,, My answer to those who are not happy with the recent Cold & Snow, MOVE ON....:rolleyes:

Don't look back, were not going that way folks......still only half way through Winter today :hi:

To me the Jet is very slack looking next weekend and with that HP over us and cold air in front of the HP this week, all could change looking beyond 7 days during this forthcoming week.

Also a possibility of SSW is on the cards = No zonal winds = COLD :D

Plenty of time yet! :cold::cold::cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 4

Posted

Got to laugh really. The showers have had no problem finding us once the air is too warm. Yep, here they come, one after the other after the other!

Anyway. That's me done now. I shall disappear until the next interesting thing happens. Be it winter snow, April showers or summer thunderstorms.

Been a real interesting couple of days on here. Been really good discussion in the Midlands thread as always. Look forward to the next bit of weather so we can do it again...

...until then.

• Like 2

Posted

Surprisingly most of the fields are still covered in snow and some of the pavements in slush despite the temperature never dropping below freezing in this cold spell, highs of 4.5 degrees yesterday and 5.7 degrees so far today, and heavy sleet and rain earlier this morning. Stokie snow is resilient :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

A light gusting and ice on puddles this morning when i went out on my mountain bike but then some rain!!! cold snap .........just.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Snow very slowly thawing but still around 30% cover and icy, A high so far of 3.7c

Currently 3c

Wind Chill -0.5c

Posted

Such a difference in attitude up here compared to in London when it snowed.

I got sick of people in London whining and moaning about how their lives were ruined by a cm of snow that lasted all of a day. Using it as an excuse to miss work and not get things done.

These past few days I have not heard a single person complain here. People have embraced the conditions and got on with it. Everyone turned up for work.

So refreshing!

• Like 4

Posted

there are fresh weather warnings out for the Midlands tonight.  There are non posts about it, so i take it they are a 'waste' of time?  

Posted
2 hours ago, shep said:

there are fresh weather warnings out for the Midlands tonight.  There are non posts about it, so i take it they are a 'waste' of time?  

Stay up to the wee hours to see 5 mins of sleet wet snow ?

Posted

Couple of videos from my drive into the Peaks today when I had to turn round as conditions got worse. No doubt in something better I could have gone on but in a Citroen C2, I have to be careful as the engine isn't all that powerful for hill climbing in snow! They also highlight how conditions change so dramatically.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
34 minutes ago, RobR said:

Couple of videos from my drive into the Peaks today when I had to turn round as conditions got worse. No doubt in something better I could have gone on but in a Citroen C2, I have to be careful as the engine isn't all that powerful for hill climbing in snow! They also highlight how conditions change so dramatically.

That sudden laying of snow on the road at the 4 minute mark is amazing.

• Like 1

Posted

Air temp - 4.5"c.

Dew point - 2.7"c.

Moderate sleet/rain. The last of the snow melting away :sorry:

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Its been pouring down all night and the radar is showing rain across the Peaks too which means the snow must be disappearing too at a higher level. Bang goes me heading back out there this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 hours ago, RobR said:

Lovely drive up there. Was that the Roaches you drove past in first vid on the left? Hard to tell because of being snow covered. No mistaking them normally!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Lovely drive up there. Was that the Roaches you drove past in first vid on the left? Hard to tell because of being snow covered. No mistaking them normally!

Yes it was the Roaches on the left as you drive up the big hill by there. Great place and views usually.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, RobR said:

Yes it was the Roaches on the left as you drive up the big hill by there. Great place and views usually.

Love that road, some of the most stunning scenery around both Congleton-Buxton and Leek-Buxton

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, nobble said:

Today's weather = wet. Miserable . Cool . Horrible . 

Can't add to that.....Currently 8.7c in Costa Del Solihull.

Anyone fancy a seaside trip to Great Yarmouth.......Emmm!....it ain't for me :drunk-emoji:

temp_uk_wfa9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Can't add to that.....Currently 8.7c in Costa Del Solihull.

Anyone fancy a seaside trip to Great Yarmouth.......Emmm!....it ain't for me :drunk-emoji:

temp_uk_wfa9.png

few miles SE of my location! bring on Summer but 98° too hot! isn't it about 36°C

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

few miles SE of my location! bring on Summer but 98° too hot! isn't it about 36°C

Coventry Airport.....8)