Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
6 minutes ago, kar999 said:

I remember well the snow, rain & freeze of Jan 2004(?) when it took me nearly 7 hours to get from Cradley Heath home to South Staffs. The Dudley gritters came out in the afternoon when it was snowing and then it turned to rain and then the skies cleared at about 4pm which caused a rapid freeze. The gritters tried to get out again but by then it was rush hour and gridlock throughout the Black Country and Brum.

I remember that well. I was leaving school and it was raining heavily and then within minutes it turned to thick snow before freezing. That dumped a fair bit of snow that evening too in Solihull. Meanwhile it took my grandad around 6 hours to get from Birmingham to Kings Heath and my Dad took around the same to get down to Solihull. He had to be pushed in his van several times round central Birmingham as the city was gridlocked. I think that was one of the worst traffic events of modern times for the city!

• Like 2

Posted

The precipitation from the low seems a fair way south to me. Think we may be reliant on any showers moving through later.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

It should start cooling from lunchtime, Warmed a little here with temp currently 1.8c and light rain.

Dp 2c

WC -1c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
10 minutes ago, kar999 said:

I remember well the snow, rain & freeze of Jan 2004(?) when it took me nearly 7 hours to get from Cradley Heath home to South Staffs. The Dudley gritters came out in the afternoon when it was snowing and then it turned to rain and then the skies cleared at about 4pm which caused a rapid freeze. The gritters tried to get out again but by then it was rush hour and gridlock throughout the Black Country and Brum.

I remember that event like it was yesterday. I was working near Birmingham city centre at the time, and once the roads froze most vehicles were struggling to get up any sort of incline. Five Ways island was dreadful because the buses couldn't cope with the gentle slope approaching the island, their wheels kept spinning and eventually they'd slowly slide backwards! I somehow got to Solihull a couple of hours late, but some of my colleagues didn't get home until the early hours because of all the chaos.

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
44 minutes ago, Gord said:

The precipitation is heading this way but will be rain of course, at least for the first few hours. Whether anything of it is still lingering here when the cold air arrives is the question. At the moment, I'm going with that it won't I'm afraid. However, with a bit of luck those showers later might get here.

Dudley Council are out gritting right now. Seems a bit of a waste of time with likely rain imminent. We shall see. 

My partner texted me that it's already sleet in Oldbury if so that's good news it means the cold air is under cutting quicker X. Can this be confirmed I am currently in Brum working grrr.

• Like 1

Posted

Light rain here now. Surely still too warm for anything wintry yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

I also remember that awful January sat in 2004! Took me 4 hours to travel from merry hill to Stourbridge, around 4 miles. Absolute mayhem! Rain here in Halesowen currently 

• Like 1

Posted

Currently cold rain in Bearwood and mainly light.  Looking like a pulse of heavier precipitation heading across from mid Wales, may make it to the West Mids.  Something to keep an eye on.  Temp / dp's  should start to drop now.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Posted

Back to sleet now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Light rain here, 4.3 oC, dewpoint 3.2o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Light rain in telford

temp starting to fall

good luck everyone 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Light rain. Temp has dropped from 4.5c to 3.0c DP was over 2c dropped to 1.3c

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
1 hour ago, Bunnyfugger said:

I'm not too far from you, I really, really, REALLY! want some snow.

*channels inner Veruca Salt*

Welcome to the forum Bunny! (Although keep the ant-depressants handy, we're so unlucky for snow here as a rule)

I'm guessing you got caught with the swear filter with regard to what you wanted to channel? Lol

• Like 1

Posted

Currently very light rain here in North West Leicestershire.

Posted

Looks like temperatures are starting to slowly fall across the whole region :)

Currently 4.4°C here with a Dp of 2.4°C

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
2 minutes ago, Chunky Flake said:

Raining in Wolverhampton at the moment. We are going to get Jack.

Arrrghhhhhhh !!!!!!

Check out later. As shown above our chesire gap looks like firing up. Temp and dew points falling rapidly and quicker than I expected. 

• Like 1

Posted

Updated warning includes derbyshire now..... been intermittent drizzle, sleet, light snow this morning....1-2cm stuck at 400-500m earlier.... 1c dew 0c

IMG_1241.PNG

IMG_1242.PNG