Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I'm not optimistic although will recognise that these types of scenarios generally bring a surprise somewhere! Here in Stratford we are quite low and often have rain when a few mils away with a little elevation they have snow. Temp here currently is 5 degrees with a dew point of almost 3. The interest will be how swiftly the cold air moves in and takes effect but I think personally the south east will be the sweet spot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Well let's see what happens  things looking ok especially early hours 

got to rely on Cheshire gap streamer, from 6pm today, then friday evening/sat am

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not holding out much hope we looked in the sweet spot yesterday. looks like it will get here turn to snow for an hour then go south and leave us with not much. If forecast is true

Edited by pegg24

Posted
55 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

I'm not optimistic although will recognise that these types of scenarios generally bring a surprise somewhere! Here in Stratford we are quite low and often have rain when a few mils away with a little elevation they have snow. Temp here currently is 5 degrees with a dew point of almost 3. The interest will be how swiftly the cold air moves in and takes effect but I think personally the south east will be the sweet spot.

We have 4'c and a dew point of 1.1'c here, so it's looking a bit better.  Overnight looks a better bet than the first 'event' ,hopefully the Cheshire gap will do its stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms

Looks like we're right on the edge of it today,  fingers crossed it pushes further north than predicted as the cold air digs south:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light showers of sleet and snow here but nothing settling. Temp' is 2.0c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Showers of sleet currently with a N/W wind Avg 12mph. The higher hills behind look like snow as whitening out during the showers as the cooler air arrives.

Temp 1.6c

Dp 0.6c

Wind Chill -1.8c

Rain 1.2mm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Gosh, am surprised at the downbeat mood on here this morning. The MetO is showing heavy snow for me late this afternoon and also tomorrow morning, and whilst anything could happen in reality, I haven't seen that forecast here for several years.

Surely we must be in for a reasonable chance of a covering?

• Like 3

Posted

Fizz, personally I think overnight might contain a bit more potential for us rather than this afternoon - would love to be proven wrong, though! :)

Currently 4.9°C with a Dp of 2.0°C - the colder air should be here by early afternoon.

Bish

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Fizz, personally I think overnight might contain a bit more potential for us rather than this afternoon - would love to be proven wrong, though! :)

Currently 4.9°C with a Dp of 2.0°C - the colder air should be here by early afternoon.

Bish

Morning Bish! Wondered where you were :) 

Mmm, hope you're wrong (in the nicest possible way), would be nice to see some snow falling in daylight, but I'll take overnight if that's all that's on offer!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, fizz511 said:

Mmm, hope you're wrong (in the nicest possible way), would be nice to see some snow falling in daylight, but I'll take overnight if that's all that's on offer!

Hi Fizz, after the last few (awful) winters I think most of us will be happy to see even a small amount of falling/lying snow - fingers crossed :)

PS did you remember to power down the Solihull snow shield? :D

Bish

Posted
4 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

As another Solihullian or what ever we called i remain confident of at least seeing falling snow, how much is where im unsure

• Like 1

Posted

Im far more optimistic for us over in Nottingham this morning, the potential snow event from the south was always a non starter for us as just to far north however tonights event looks more promising for us.

I don't envisage anything spectacular but to wake up to a covering would be nice

Edited by Ryan05

Posted

The precipitation is heading this way but will be rain of course, at least for the first few hours. Whether anything of it is still lingering here when the cold air arrives is the question. At the moment, I'm going with that it won't I'm afraid. However, with a bit of luck those showers later might get here.

Dudley Council are out gritting right now. Seems a bit of a waste of time with likely rain imminent. We shall see. 

Posted
41 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Hi Fizz, after the last few (awful) winters I think most of us will be happy to see even a small amount of falling/lying snow - fingers crossed :)

PS did you remember to power down the Solihull snow shield? :D

Bish

Rats! *runs off to do it immediately*

Edited by fizz511
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Rats! *runs off to do it immediately*

I'm not too far from you, I really, really, REALLY! want some snow.

*channels inner Veruca Salt*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
11 minutes ago, Gord said:

The precipitation is heading this way but will be rain of course, at least for the first few hours. Whether anything of it is still lingering here when the cold air arrives is the question. At the moment, I'm going with that it won't I'm afraid. However, with a bit of luck those showers later might get here.

Dudley Council are out gritting right now. Seems a bit of a waste of time with likely rain imminent. We shall see. 

I remember well the snow, rain & freeze of Jan 2004(?) when it took me nearly 7 hours to get from Cradley Heath home to South Staffs. The Dudley gritters came out in the afternoon when it was snowing and then it turned to rain and then the skies cleared at about 4pm which caused a rapid freeze. The gritters tried to get out again but by then it was rush hour and gridlock throughout the Black Country and Brum.

Edited by kar999
  • Like 1