Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday's BBC forecast mentioned sunny spells for this area today but it's been unremittingly cloudy so far. Hard work in places out on the bike this morning with the wind gusting over 40 mph on the hills but, true to form, it's decreased considerably since I got back.

Posted

Just 3.7 hrs of sunshine here so far this month, 22% of the average for the first 13 days of December. At the moment it doesn't look as though today will add much to the total either. It's overcast and misty with a temp of 8.6c.

Posted

The atlantic still hasn`t broke through yet since my last post umpteen weeks ago still stuck in a S-ly murky mild rut.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

Well this time 6 years ago, the best snow event I had seen in a long time was just about to start

Amazing wasn't it, but snow wise, here Jan and Mar '13 were better

Posted

45 months now since the last measureable snow here. That really takes some thinking about doesn't it? As a weather enthusiast, I have had to rely on months such as June 2016 to keep the interest alive. Or micro events such as potent little cold fronts that sweep through from time to time. The hail and thunder on one during January 2014 being one of the best of recent years. 

Edited by Gord

Posted

45 months now since the last measureable snow here. That really takes some thinking about doesn't it? As a weather enthusiast, I have had to rely on months such as June 2016 to keep the interest alive. Or micro events such as potent little cold fronts that sweep through from time to time. The hail and thunder on one during January 2014 being one of the best of recent years. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Gord said:

that bad you posted it twice? my last measurable snow was Boxing day '14, very tough to get proper snow now in the mõdern era, all we can really hope for is some sort of toppler, before the next system rolls in, or off a northerly in April

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

that bad you posted it twice? my last measurable snow was Boxing day '14, very tough to get proper snow now in the mõdern era, all we can really hope for is some sort of toppler, before the next system rolls in, or off a northerly in April

I'm surprised I didn't post it more times with my fat fingers on my iphone!

Be careful what you predict, the weather has been known to stick two fingers up at us when we think we know for sure that something is now the norm.

We were all waiting for repeats of 100F temperatures during summer 2004.

We were all ready for yet another bitter spell in the winter of 1988/89.

We were all ready for another mild and stormy winter with little cold or snow during 2008/09. (A little unfair this one...there was some stormy weather that winter!)

Your predictions are probably the safest ones to make...but you can never truly trust mother nature and what she will do next!

But for now...yep...nothing really exciting in the offering yet.

Edited by Gord

Posted
13 minutes ago, Gord said:

I'm surprised I didn't post it more times with my fat fingers on my iphone!

Be careful what you predict, the weather has been known to stick two fingers up at us when we think we know for sure that something is now the norm.

We were all waiting for repeats of 100F temperatures during summer 2004.

We were all ready for yet another bitter spell in the winter of 1988/89.

We were all ready for another mild and stormy winter with little cold or snow during 2008/09. (A little unfair this one...there was some stormy weather that winter!)

Your predictions are probably the safest ones to make...but you can never truly trust mother nature and what she will do next!

But for now...yep...nothing really exciting in the offering yet.

Nokia 6310i the best!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a way though hope it does stick 2 fingers up, as I am the biggest snow lover on here, and I fully believe in the mõdern era, it is so obvious it's unreal, everyone I know, knows it, and they are older than me, I'm so confident as well, I told most I know that this would be a snow free Dec, as our winters have changed, and I look like being correct

would love to feel a fool though in case I am wrong, as I love snow, and I miss winters

I also predict a snow free January, not told anyone yet though! sometimes it dosen't matter how much 'science' you know, a correct 'forecast' is a correct forecast!

I know the basics, maybe not as much as many on here science wise, but a damn sight more than people I know

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Looking like a stormy Christmas this year with a touch of cold zonality.

Could get another 90mph + squall but I don`t think we`ll see anything like that when it flattened 29 trees in one place nearby in a straight path about 4 mile away on low ground.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light rain here in Buxton just now.

Posted

A ground frost here overnight with temp currently 3c and icy roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Grass and roofs, still white with hard frost here in my part of Telford' although signs of melt as the sun slowly  moves the shade on :) I think the weather is is purposely being awkward for us regarding Christmas day lol! Relatively cool up to and after again but a silly 12-13c on the day itself? Sense of of humour our weather has :) Might be nice to have a good storm go through though :)

Posted

wind really getting up now

spme potent gusts , and the wind making it feel chillier than 8 deg c it is .

bring back 2010 , snow on the ground for 4 weeks only beaten bye march /April 13 for snow on the ground !! 

MERRY CHRISTMAS 

IMG_3303.PNG

Edited by nobble

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

The worst of it coming through here just now, rain lashing the window panes. 9.7oC here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and warmth in summer Snow and ice in winter

Rained passed through really quickly here :closedeyes: about an hour of lightish rain then an almighty deluge for about 15-20 mins now its all passed through and you wouldn't know we'd had anything lol!.

Edited by quest4peace

Posted

A gust of 54 mph today, the highest since March. There was 10 minutes of heavy rain and small hail around 1640 followed by a rapid clearance after 1715 with just 1 okta cloud by 1800.

Posted
2 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

A gust of 54 mph today, the highest since March. There was 10 minutes of heavy rain and small hail around 1640 followed by a rapid clearance after 1715 with just 1 okta cloud by 1800.

bbbbboring sigh, bring on benign high pressure, HP an settled rules, low pressure drools

• Like 1

Posted

It's possible this December could be the first completely snowless one since I started keeping records in 1963. The Decembers of 1987 and 2006 were almost snowless with one day with sleet each but, so far, this one has had not even a blob of sleet let alone any snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Merry Christmas to all fellow Net Weather Midlander's :santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Merry Christmas to all fellow Net Weather Midlander's :santa-emoji:

Thanks DWW - same from me to everyone in The Midlands thread!.

For the last month I've been computerless with a problem in the network adapter card.

Left it with a local 'fixer' whilst I was on hols.. He ended up losing all my data!!

To make matters  worse I have  been unable to re-build the system due to software I was using being unavailable now.

I've ended up with Firefox for my browser and Thunderbird as my Email agent.

With about 30  passwords to remember, Ive had real  problems setting  things up again.

I still have many apps I have not yet re-installed.

At least now I have Email, I am able to start setting things up!

Let it be a warning to everyone.!!

MIA

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Merry Christmas and a Snowy New Year to everyone!

(Anyone want a game of monopoly whilst we wait for this boring weather to end....?)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Merry Christmas! Let's hope Father Christmas sorts us snow lovers some of the white stuff very soon ⛄️

• Like 2