Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, warrenb said:

I have been reading models for a long time, and at no point alluded to it being a bad things, just discussing what the models are showing.

I believe that we shall have a west based -NAO but this will propagate East as time goes on. 

No offence intended, but I'm surprised at a west based NAO being discussed as a certainty, not nailed on yet.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

No offence intended, but I'm surprised at a west based NAO being discussed as a certainty, not nailed on yet.

With you on this, the block is looking more likely now (Still not ECM though which should be noted), but given FI is only a handful of days away to say we are getting a WB -NAO is a bit presumptuous.

It's a case a one run at a time at the minute, and hopefully we start getting multi model consistency in the short to medium term which can then shed some light beyond.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.

The GFS model shows windy conditions for SW parts of the UK tomorrow.

30-289UK.GIF?16-6

Edited by Grimers
  • Like 1

Posted

Think its way too early to be thinking about west based NAO when we may not even get a Greenland high forming at all, its certainly a possibility but so is anything really. Do hope we continue too see the trends of the Russian high becoming less of a player over Scandi and we see some of the PV drop into Scandi but that could well take a while as you I do get the feeling the Russian high could becomes a nuisence and hang around for longer.

In particular interested what the ECM will throw up, especially regarding Sunday's low, it was the first model to pick up on this but this morning run has decreased the intensity of the low which will probably be nearer the mark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

West based -NAO, anyone remember the output we were looking at only 3 days ago?

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

FI is FI whether it's showing a possible west based -NAO, or a raging blizzard with snow half way up my door.

Anyway, all eyes down for the GFS 12z which is rolling out now, will it shed any more light on what happens after the coming weekend?

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

West based -NAO, anyone remember the output we were looking at only 3 days ago?

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

FI is FI whether it's showing a possible west based -NAO, or a raging blizzard with snow half way up my door.

Anyway, all eyes down for the GFS 12z which is rolling out now, will it shed any more light on what happens after the coming weekend?

I'm not responding to fi op runs - I'm looking at the gefs mean/anomolys and spreads - it's only noise at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 hours ago, bluearmy said:

all eyes on heights to our south re west based -NAO and its potential effect o the UK. if heights are low to our south then I wouldn't be too concerned unless its an extreme west based solution and even then, low heights to our south in winter pretty well guarantees a cold surface for the UK 

I was just looking through the forum for someone who mentioned this.

The 06z suite was certainly very West based -NAO through FI with all our lovely heights being sucked West into Canada allowing the Atlantic back in.

Of course the jet will have been forced well south so so in theory it could allow for a freakish true cold zonal flow with LP running to our South even without obvious positive height anomalies to our N/NW should it set up that way, especially as the PV is expected to be so weak, as well as the possibility of the jet returning North.

Just musing aloud, all conjecture, we really could get anything through early Dec. I would much prefer a stonking cut-off Greenland high to be modeled as that is a pretty secure route to a very cold NE flow.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted

Better WAA again by 114, last 2 runs have done this which is a good sign. Still not sure where it will lead but will surely help with blocking to our North.

• Like 2

Posted

Honestly the Russian high pressure systems irritate the hell out of me, maybe it's just me but they always seem to set up in the least favourable way possible.

That being said I feel we are at a pretty decent starting point with building blocks in place for potential down the line, just can't see anything this side of December.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Better WAA again by 114, last 2 runs have done this which is a good sign. Still not sure where it will lead but will surely help with blocking to our North.

Was just going to post this...

6Z gfsnh-0-126.png?6  12Z gfsnh-0-120.png?12

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Honestly the Russian high pressure systems irritate the hell out of me, maybe it's just me but they always seem to set up in the least favourable way possible.

That being said I feel we are at a pretty decent starting point with building blocks in place for potential down the line, just can't see anything this side of December.

LOL I think you will get some support from nick for that view. What it is good for is stalling the trough which helps prevent our Atlantic ridge becoming an ordinary toppler (hopefully)

We can see that GFS runs shortwaves though the top of the ridge just SW of Greenland, it just makes less of them than ECM.

gfsnh-0-108.png?12

Beauty this afternoon. WAA well into Greenland

gfsnh-0-132.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

UKMO not such good news

UN144-21.GIF?16-17

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Cohen

"Season of superlatives looks to continue. Have to believe GFS can't miss wind reversal by this magnitude but take nothing for granted"

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Polar energy at Russian peninsula'(kamchatka) is further aiding development' via weaknesses in vortex...

Will aid spillage of polar air nw Europe'and deeper south trajectory. 

gfsnh-0-138.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

This is looking good the ridge well aligned to Greenland definitely less west based.

image.png

Yes, look at the flow to the NW of Scotland around 144, its more NE to SW as opposed to E to W than the last run which is a classic signature of west based -NAO, its not perfect, we would want it just blasting as a N'ly right down to S England before any E component but its better.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mucka said:

UKMO not such good news

UN144-21.GIF?16-17

Which makes you wonder if it's worth looking beyond 144!!!  GEM also similar to the UKMO.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

Think the GFS has lost it way a little bit on this run and the detail is messy but it goes to show once you get a Russian high in place, they are mighty hard to shift and when they are in the wrong orientation, its even more annoying. You get a Greenland high on this run but no real cold, you just got to laugh really!

UKMO does not really go for a GL high but at least its seems keen to drop heights quicker than the GFS. Still feels any real noteworthy cold shot is a long way from forming whichever way you look at it but all interesting nonetheless.

It also makes much less of that storm than the GFS which is back to normality really of GFS overdeepening the lows and the UKMO looking dull as per usual.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

We would have sold our grannies for a chart like that at T+132 last winter. 

Indeed :)

Could we be seeing a bridge of +ve heights? Stretching from Scandi to Greenland. :shok: 

image.jpeg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

Indeed :)

Could we be seeing a bridge of +ve heights? Stretching from Scandi to Greenland. :shok: 

image.jpeg

It's trying

gfsnh-0-180.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Which makes you wonder if it's worth looking beyond 144!!! 

it makes you wonder is its even worth viewing the GFS in the first place unless the the UKMO and ECM show the same thing which they dont its likely another example of its faults and there has been many over the past 10 years of model watching

Edited by igloo
  • Like 4

Posted

The GFS 12hrs run upto T192hrs is an example of how to have one of those 5 star ingredients being high pressure over southern Greenland and Iceland but still end up with zip in terms of interest. Please someone nuke that Russian high, its impossible to advect any proper cold into Europe with that limpet hanging around. Of course if the Russian high was orientated in a way to advect some cold then you can be sure it would give up the ghost quickly.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2