Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
3 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, it's been the similarities between ECMWF and GloSea 500hPa GPH and MSLP anomalies that grab the eye foremost (GloSea's respective ENS mean fields and +ve anomaly probabilities below).

2cat_20161101_mslp_months24_europe_deter_public.png

2cat_20161101_mslp_months24_europe_prob_public.png

2cat_20161101_mslp_months35_europe_deter_public.png

2cat_20161101_mslp_months35_europe_prob_public.png

2cat_20161101_z500_months24_europe_deter_public.png

2cat_20161101_z500_months24_europe_prob_public.png

2cat_20161101_z500_months35_europe_deter_public.png

2cat_20161101_z500_months35_europe_prob_public.png

Looking at this output, especially noting the lower than average pressure over the Atlantic, could mean a higher likelihood of snow events from Atlantic fronts rather than off the continent? This is just a theory which may suggest heavy but rare snow events.

Edited by Grimers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Grimers said:

Looking at this output, especially noting the lower than average pressure over the Atlantic, could mean we get a lot of fronts moving in from the Atlantic and creating snow events instead of snow from continent? This is just a theory which may suggest heavy but rare snow events.

As I said earlier, Will, The Jan-Mar anomalies for pressure look to me to be signalling the potential for a snow maker of a battleground between colder continental air and Atlantic LP systems. Just has that look. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

As I said earlier, Will, The Jan-Mar anomalies for pressure look to me to be signalling the potential for a snow maker of a battleground between colder continental air and Atlantic LP systems. Just has that look. 

Yes, I forgot about that. I think this is going to be a very interesting Winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I tend to agree, CC...My memory of Jan-Mar 1963 was of, apart from 2 or 3 major snow-events, mostly quite dry weather with bouts of freezing fog? 

Having sad that, I do find some of the seasonals' outputs appear to lack much in the way of strong signals for temperature...I think Gavin P was a wee bit sceptical, as to how the models appear to be going for abundant Northern blocking, but with near-average temperatures...It seems to be wee bit self-contradictory?:cc_confused:

I can't see how NW Europe can end-up that warm, given the extent and depth of snow-cover, over there, already?

• Like 6

Posted

I think the seasonal models always downplay colder weather in the UK as it is so hard to predict, and generally on the border of any cold/warm set ups.  Even when NW Europe is predicted to be in the freezer in the seasonals our little island often doesn't show the depths of cold shown in central France or even Belgium etc....This works with the opposite too, we are never in any extreme of any prediction - our little island is "sat on the fence" should we say.!!!

Anyway, 12z coming up - it'll show another scenario in FI no doubt - but lets see how it handles the medium term as this is where we should be looking.

• Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I tend to agree, CC...My memory of Jan-Mar 1963 was of, apart from 2 or 3 major snow-events, mostly quite dry weather with bouts of freezing fog? 

Having sad that, I do find some of the seasonals' outputs appear to lack much in the way of strong signals for temperature...I think Gavin P was a wee bit sceptical, as to how the models appear to be going for abundant Northern blocking, but with near-average temperatures...It seems to be wee bit self-contradictory?:cc_confused:

I can't see how NW Europe can end-up that warm, given the extent and depth of snow-cover, over there, already?

Nice to see that someone else was around for that epic winter. Our experience up here was of snow of and on from Boxing Day to around the end of the third week in February with little in the way of fogs. The run up to 62/63 winter did have a similar feel to this year but perhaps I am biased as in those far off days I was stupid enough to put my thoughts in a local paper!

• Like 5

Posted

1 hour ago, Grimers said:

According to the ECMWF model, it's music to the ears for cold lovers.

ECM1-72.GIF?14-12 ECM0-72.GIF?14-12

Honey G sort of music? :wink: 

I think some folk are getting ahead of theirselves and in all likelihood may end up getting disappointed. I think it's rather clear by now we're not going to see any deep cold in November. The charts above are flat and mobile, wet and cool, which has characterised a string of winters which we daren't speak of, I'm not quite sure what you're seeing - do not associate blues with cold especially with maritime sourced winds which offer very little, it's going to be a long winter, some composure is needed? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think the GEM is about to hit on a new pattern in upcoming runs...its 12z run looks slightly implausible to me out towards days 9 &10 *hint* attempted Icelandic blocking along with E European blocking divided by the skinniest trough you'll ever see...

gemnh-0-234.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

I think some folk are getting ahead of theirselves and in all likelihood may end up getting disappointed. I think it's rather clear by now we're not going to see any deep cold in November. The charts above are flat and mobile, wet and cool, which has characterised a string of winters which we daren't speak of, I'm not quite sure what you're seeing - do not associate blues with cold especially with maritime sourced winds which offer very little, it's going to be a long winter, some composure is needed? 

I'm not getting ahead of myself, neither am I excited, I'm just describing what the charts show. :)

• Like 2

Posted

The UKMO model is now picking up the idea from the GFS model of a potential storm on Sunday.

UW144-21.GIF?14-17

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS and UKMO at 144

GFSgfsnh-0-144.png?12UKMOUN144-21.GIF?14-17

GFS even less heights over the pole than it's previous run. UKMO still has them strong. 

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, SN0WM4N said:

GFS and UKMO at 144

GFSgfsnh-0-144.png?12UKMOUN144-21.GIF?14-17

Yes, as I said above, they're starting to agree, this could be a nasty storm...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, Grimers said:

Wouldn't even call it a storm on that, max gusts on the GFS are generally 35-40mph.

EC however does ramp it up with 60mph gusts quite widely.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The problem around 144-168 onwards is with that trough, instead of it slipping steadily Eastwards or sliding and disrupting SE, what happens is the cold just lifts out and it just becomes a ridge - this is modelled in every run now.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Lets be fair here, he is not the only one in here to over ramp the prospects of cold and I'm sure I have read in the past week so every single day of look at this cold chart at D10 etc.

Bit of realism in here is much needed, i still see no real changes to the medium range trends, half hearted amplification, massive spoiler russian high with a trough near or over us and I am still not seeing much signs of the PV over Greenland being fully destroyed. Infact its not much of a surprise after this chilly snap during the latter part of next week, there are signals for the outlook to turn MILDER with the risk of a southerly flow thanks to hopefully what will be a trend of the russian high receding away and lower heights to try and take over western russia and scandi again.

As i said last night, I will still take the risk of the outlook turning milder again with a pinch of salt at this stage and I be interested if tonights ECM will go for that deep depression for Sunday as that will be the 3rd run in a row if it does.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Wouldn't even call it a storm, max gusts on the GFS are generally 35-40mph.

I agree, way out to our West too...

gfs-14-144.png?12

Steady as she goes from the GFS so far, not much change from previous run out to d7...

6Z gfsnh-0-174.png?6  12Z gfsnh-0-168.png?12

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Wouldn't even call it a storm on that, max gusts on the GFS are generally 35-40mph.

EC however does ramp it up with 60mph gusts quite widely.

Yes, hence why I said potential, and as the UKMO model has already developed the low, it could potentially develop further.

Edited by Grimers

Posted
5 minutes ago, Grimers said:

The GFS/UKMO don't really agree with the ECM on how deep the low goes but as we got airmasses clashing with the development of that low, you won't be surprised if the ECM is picking up on something. Certainly won't complain if it does as true Autuminal deep lows have been lacking this Autumn.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Grimers said:

Yes, hence I said "potential", as the UKMO has already developed the low, that's quite interesting and could potentially develop further as typically happens with that model.

I thought it was the GFS that over develops lows into dartboard lows but by 162hr its a flabby low.  Your fence is save for another day:)

gfsnh-0-162.png

• Like 2