Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted

This looks a great chart , but similar ones haven't materialised into anything to talk about yet. High over Greeny, WAA into Canada , no PV, Scandy high!! Sounds good, but no cigar - yet !!

IMG_3483.PNG

Full of potential 

IMG_3484.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Sounds like we have gone from uncertain to very uncertain over the last 24 hours.

We are still in a better place than this time last year with at least polar maritime incursions likely during the next few weeks as the models show the jet alignment becoming wnw / ese and possibly nw / se by late next week onwards..no need for any coldie to be downbeat on the 9th November:)

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

18z very good IMO in context of recent runs...difference upstream from 12z is clear to see

npsh500.png

It's the tonic we needed tonight. I don't even care if it is way off the mark! We just needed it :)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Plus never in a zillion years of model watching will an 18z determine anything, it's crazy but only as a close second to the 06Z GFS which should have been binned around 8 years ago. Think of the 06 as an episode of a binge TV series that is a filler. It doesn't advance the plot, it throws up curveballs and adds little 

I disagree.

Whatever run be it 06z or 18z incorporates the latest data.

The 06Z gfs run a week ago was the first run to indicate the vortex becoming more organised. It was spot on!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I feel like somebody would feel, if the last time they saw Donald Trump was doing an interview with Ali G, before slipping in to a coma for ten years and seeing him being elected as president of the United States when they woke up.....

extremely confused by the last couple of pages of conflicting messages. 

Reading between some very blurred lines, I don't think we are any nearer to knowing what the start of winter may bring? :cc_confused:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

gfsnh-12-222.png?6gfsnh-12-210.png?12gfsnh-12-204.png?18

GFS definitively firming up on the Atlantic ridge/Siberian high link up over Greenland on the last 3 runs.

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

18z very good IMO in context of recent runs...difference upstream from 12z is clear to see

npsh500.png

And that smashed up PV is in a pseudo reliable timeframe too.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

I disagree.

Whatever run be it 06z or 18z incorporates the latest data.

The 06Z gfs run a week ago was the first run to indicate the vortex becoming more organised. It was spot on!

It hasn't happened yet:)..so it's not spot on

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

And that smashed up PV is in a pseudo reliable timeframe too.

Is it being over progressive though as the 18z sometimes can be. I think Ian's update shows just how volatile the models are at the moment  but still it's a bit of a choker considering how upbeat they were for cold just a week ago towards the latter end of the month. I suppose a week is a long time in weather. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Bit of a bonkers run to be honest...just look at all that WAA heading due N straight up through W Russia...would think that would have consequences through deep FI

h500slp.png

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Bit of a bonkers run to be honest...just look at all that WAA heading due N straight up through W Russia...would think that would have consequences through deep FI

h500slp.png

+ EYE EYE  _   HERE COMES THE BEAST!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Well hello pub run!!  Best FI chart for a fair while!! 

IMG_3485.PNG

No cold uppers associated with it, but nice potential . If this was "later into Winter we'd have a nice snowstorm in the SW with this.

IMG_3486.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Oh, here we go..

gfsnh-0-336.png?18

Pity this run doesn't go out to the 400+ mark!!!!!!    -     we would see a right f blizzard.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

The Gfs 18z shows cold incursions from both polar and Arctic..not bad!

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

• Like 5

Posted

Charts from the 18z which would scream wintry potential for the uk with a bit of fine tuning..coldies can expect plenty to encourage us in the weeks ahead.

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

• Like 8

Posted

Well the 18z has certainly brought back a smile to my face, though the volatility of the  models will no doubt throw a completely opposite solution tomorrow. Such is life being a winter weather watcher.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Just as a reminder. None of the great Winter's such as 1946/47, 1962/63, 1978/79 or even 2009/10 (though 2010/11 did, but remember that ended early just as it started early) got going early enough to be in anywhere near of the models reliable timeframe yet. It's very easy when we get to November to feel somewhat deflated by proceedings, as Winter is literally round the corner. But we've also got to remember that though this may be so, we're still a long way from having any confident idea how the Winter season will pan out (indeed even when it starts it's far from certain at least at the beginning). So as long as things look like they may be conducive to deliver cold weather at least further down the line we've got absolutely nothing to panic about yet. We've just got to recognise and appreciate exactly the time of year it now is, which is still the last third of Autumn which is a time of year whatever year, we should expect very little in terms of cold in these islands but at the same time we should appreciate and recognise that at this juncture we're doing not bad at all for where we are and this coming Winter has a lot to play for going forward. Yes we've been teased a little recently but at the same time whether or whether not some of these projections have materialised to the degree they have shown, has at least shown that the atmosphere is in a state to possibly deliver and this can only be a good thing as we head into the true Winter season which as yet still lies ahead in the distance.

Spot on - we have been spoiled recently and we have to remember tomorrow is only 10th November. 

When did we last have snow this early?

And as for next week, it looks like a period of raging north westerlies is looking likely which should at least liven things up a bit. And in 3 weeks, winter starts ;-)

• Like 6

Posted

ECM ens are a massive downgrade on the 0z.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

However - GEFS 18z are a slight upgrade - mean trough (all be it shallow) diving a bit further into continental Europe than the 12z.

gensnh-21-1-348_ddq1.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Lots of ups and downs to be expected. Signals all over the place, clearly. The 18z suite on GEFS sees about 50% with absolutely crazy Synoptics across the North Atlantic. Don't buy into the 'one run = my life's worth' game - you'll always be disappointed. Trends haven't shifted very much. Take them a few days at a time people!! Great 18z, slightly disappointed 12z, but all still to play for.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Currently showing on the 00z at T+192 hrs..

Notice how tight the isobars and wind direction and the high and low pressure placements at 192 hrs.

I consider that not to be far from a guidance time frame. 

I'd like to go into more detail and post upto T+204hrs. But I have to set off for work and scrape ice off my subaru forester lol. But I'm sure they'll be lots to talkabout this morning. 

16111800_1000.gif

Edited by sorepaw1
  • Like 2