Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Isn't this like they forecast in 2010?

Very similar, I think. But, how else does one make a forecast, when the computer models are so conflicted? I certainly don't envy them.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Isn't this like they forecast in 2010?

The signal for blocking was much stronger then and its one of the few occasions where the models didn't make a drama over it with the outputs overwhelmingly in favour. At the moment its not such a clear cut outcome so that's why I was surprised by that UKMO forecast which doesn't even have any caveats. The initial evolution of the high could still change given its sensitivity to the pattern in the USA so I'd urge some caution until that's resolved. Its been a very up and down week with coldies nerves shredded, in a nutshell though given the overall set up if we can squeeze even more amplitude than what the ECM shows between T120 and T168hrs then it would need some outlandish turn of events for the UK to avoid at least some colder temperatures. As for any snow too far out to say but theres a chance if things fall into place.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The signal for blocking was much stronger then and its one of the few occasions where the models didn't make a drama over it with the outputs overwhelmingly in favour. At the moment its not such a clear cut outcome so that's why I was surprised by that UKMO forecast which doesn't even have any caveats. The initial evolution of the high could still change given its sensitivity to the pattern in the USA so I'd urge some caution until that's resolved. Its been a very up and down week with coldies nerves shredded, in a nutshell though given the overall set up if we can squeeze even more amplitude than what the ECM shows between T120 and T168hrs then it would need some outlandish turn of events for the UK to avoid at least some colder temperatures. As for any snow too far out to say but theres a chance if things fall into place.

9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Very similar, I think. But, how else does one make a forecast, when the computer models are so conflicted? I certainly don't envy them.

Yea true, I agree with both. Hopefully we can get something noteworthy in the end, with models keep popping up the cold run every so often, and now the ECM coming on board more, after mostly failing all week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Not trying to be difficult but if discussion re the UKMO forecast is connected with what the outputs show then isn't that acceptable in the model discussion. So for example just liking or not liking the UKMO forecast wouldn't be acceptable but discussing the UKMO in relation to the outputs would be. As you've seen we're having a discussion re that UKMO forecast and comparing it to the signal in the outputs. Personally I don't see the problem. My previous post IMO is merited to this thread.

Yes, that's fine,, but simply copy and pasting the outlook with virtually no comment on the models does not belong in this thread.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Yes, that's fine,, but simply copy and pasting the outlook with virtually no comment on the models does not belong in this thread.

Fair enough that's fine with me. We've reached a good compromise.

• Like 3

Posted

You just can't make the GFS up can you - it's like a soap opera, we had ops and ensembles on side for something colder for days against all the other models, it then backtracks to a more agreed upon solution then the ECM starts producing better charts and ensembles, meanwhile the GFS op is poor & the ensembles in the long term are dreadful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The latest week ahead forecast from the beeb says temperatures later next week and into the weekend will be widely in double figures

GFS isn't buying this with temperatures stuck in single figures... who will be right

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

548548.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I know this has been asked before and answered but I can't remember. Which model is the BBC 10 day forecast generated from ? Is the raw Ukmo

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It looks like we will be going cold during early December according to the models and its pretty chilly already and will be for several more days with night frosts and freezing fog..and we have an increasingly blocked Dec to look forward to..heavenly compared to the hell 1 year ago!:santa-emoji::cold-emoji: 

I think youve hit the nail on the head frosty. Things are looking cold and frosty on the whole with HP close by. I know some want snow and freezing temperatures but to be fair its not a bad outlook at all for a Uk start of winter. Coldies should take frosty HP with open arms:good:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes Matthew, certainly will accept it, miles better than sleety bursts in heavy showers, rain with snow dumpings for high ground, fair for all this

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

I think youve hit the nail on the head frosty. Things are looking cold and frosty on the whole with HP close by. I know some want snow and freezing temperatures but to be fair its not a bad outlook at all for a Uk start of winter. Coldies should take frosty HP with open arms:good:

Agree 100 percent, get the cold anticyclonic entrenched first and if we get any snow it will be a wonderful bonus!..the mods..I mean the models are looking very seasonal :santa-emoji::D

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The latest week ahead forecast from the beeb says temperatures later next week and into the weekend will be widely in double figures

GFS isn't buying this with temperatures stuck in single figures... who will be right

548548.png

I think this is the much more likely scenario (BBC) it is funny to see such cold ramps going on when the reality is so much diffrent

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

548548.png

Bizarre. Looking at the outputs that forecast doesn't match especially with the UKMO updated at 11.56am, that tv forecast says updated an hour later and I suspect that was recorded much earlier or done the previous night.  Admittedly theres still some uncertainty given the models have been chopping and changing but theres simply no way the BBC can give that forecast without adding a caveat because its finely balanced. Indeed both the UKMO and BBC look too bullish either way and one wonders whats going on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Not much analysis here but thought it's worth showing the current state of affairs to the +384 6z GFS...

npsh500.pngnpsh500.png

It's like a mirror image, look at that beasty Canadian PV lobe :aggressive:

Posted
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Bizarre. Looking at the outputs that forecast doesn't match especially with the UKMO updated at 11.56am, that tv forecast says updated an hour later and I suspect that was recorded much earlier or done the previous night.  Admittedly theres still some uncertainty given the models have been chopping and changing but theres simply no way the BBC can give that forecast without adding a caveat because its finely balanced. Indeed both the UKMO and BBC look too bullish either way and one wonders whats going on.

Pmsl, totally at odds with todays metoffice update, im sorry but that is farcical! maybe knocker should be getting sidney some factor 50!Roll on the 12zs for some clarity, not...:wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I am not surprised re the 00z ECM. I called the Bartlett High output it showed for early Dec as wrong. I still call it wrong.  We have just had a massive Earth facing coronal hole with large geo-magnetic pulse with increase / burst of solar wind. I believe this will buckle the jet stream hence my thoughts of the HP to our NW would develop.  We will see now if this ECM change gathers momentum.  

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The week ahead forecast  shows the perils of looking to far ahead when the models are chopping and changing a lot at that time period. A bit of a oopsy possibly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Pmsl, totally at odds with todays metoffice update, im sorry but that is farcical! maybe knocker should be getting sidney some factor 50!Roll on the 12zs for some clarity, not...:wallbash:

It's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, obsolete data fit for the bin. The current expert view and model view is for a colder early December, not a mild and mushy one!:D

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That forecast just showing what the 00Z UKMO run is saying, which is a lot flatter and would show the milder air coming in.

Going by the UKMO forecast, one may imagine the 12Z UKMO could show something more like the ECM but we shall see.

• Like 2