Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted

Can't post charts on phone. Looks like height rises going in to Greenland @ 144 hours on the the Ecm. Will our high retrogress and put us in a northerly!  Looking forward to the next few frames!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some hard frosts to come next week for the South under clear sky's. 

a.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, CreweCold said:

Right, that's it....I've decided- we're blatantly being trolled by the NWP

ECH1-144.GIF?26-12

Deinitely!

GFS finally gives up the ghost so of course ECM suddenly decides a stonking Atlantic ridge is the way forward.

My guess is that it is a big fat outlier within its ensembles later.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Mucka said:

Deinitely!

GFS finally gives up the ghost so of course ECM suddenly decides a stonking Atlantic ridge is the way forward.

Day 6 ECM though....

There is hope that it has picked up a new way forward...faint hope but hope nonetheless.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Day 6 ECM though....

There is hope that it has picked up a new way forward...faint hope but hope nonetheless.

I felt something might pop up unexpectedly in the 168/192 range but more as a toppler turning into an Icelandic high but not a strong Atlantic ridge at 144 - this is out of the blue from ECM and nothing like the rest of the mornings output so definitely a very large dose of salt required.

ECH1-168.GIF?26-12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

ECM trying to go from zero to hero for the uk in this run. 

ECM1-168 (1).gif

ECM0-168.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I felt something might pop up unexpectedly in the 168/192 range but more as a toppler turning into an Icelandic high but not a strong Atlantic ridge at 144 - this is out of the blue from ECM and nothing like the rest of the mornings output so definitely a very large of salt required.

ECH1-168.GIF?26-12

Still, food for thought I suppose

ECH1-192.GIF?26-12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

When you have a weak Pv especially over the area that has a big influence on our part of the world. Different potential out comes are plentiful. ECM playing out another. Not for the faint hearted but boy it's more interesting this year than it has been for awhile. For what it's worth, game on imo.....

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Still, food for thought I suppose

ECH1-192.GIF?26-12

It is certainly that.:D

If it has a handle on the upstream that other models have missed then we are in business.

The good thing is it is only 96/120 out so it will either drop tonight or it is definitely onto something.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Is the new ecm back to its old over amplification tricks :)

ECM1-216.gif

ECM0-216 (1).gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

There looks to be a couple of opportunities (next 16 days) for cold shots as temporary upstream amplification allows the Azores to pump WAA north, but it is the fine detail as to how much cold the UK gets and whether it is a dry northerly or a bit more interesting.

Anyway looking at the GFS op, again little support in the GEFS with any cold shots too far east. The shot at D13:

op:gfs-1-336.png  mean: gens-21-0-336.png

The cold shot at D8:

gfs-1-192.png mean gens-21-0-192.png

Looking at the GFS pattern in the next 16 days it is very poor for prolonged cold. We have lost the Azores and Russian HP systems with the former displaced over the N Atlantic/UK region. The N Pacific potential ridge has been dampened and the PV has freewill to meander over the higher latts of the NH. So mobility within the confines of the displaced Azores High. Later in the run the Azores HP returns and the N Pacific ridge has another go to provide a more meridional upstream. However that has been a false dawn to date and the D16 GFS op chart resembles a very familiar pattern of late (mean):

D16 mean GFSgens-21-1-384 (2).png

I noticed the new "improved" ECM has finally latched onto the GFS synoptics with upstream temporary ridging allowing the UK to be very close to a cold northerly flow, that needs to be corrected west to be more productive. So the models need to tighten up on that potential transient cold shot from D7-D10. Could be something or nothing as we are on the margins of that flow. The GEM for instance pushes slightly east and we are in a milder flow:

GEM D8gem-1-192.png GFS D8gfs-1-192 (1).png ECM ECM0-192.gif

Variations for that toppler. Will we be lucky this time?

• Like 2

Posted

Very interesting mornings runs - looks like the warmer days may not get in and the Northerly could happen - that Northerly could then lead to something better looking at the ECM at 240. Good stuff

IMG_3632.PNG

Navgem at 180 looks v good too

IMG_3633.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Wow the mid range is so uncertain. ECM run is basically what John Hammond said last night that there was still a risk that the high would be further west. 

Was not expecting that run though...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It's the 4th of December again, charts were showing it to be the date for an arctic plunge before they had a wobble. Not surprised to see them pick it up again.

Expect some more miner wobbles, but I have a feeling we have a clear way forward and it leads to cold.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for fun of course but 4 days later

cfs-0-852.png?18

That's your idea of fun :nonono:

i must admit, I'm keen to see where that ECM run sits in the ensembles. Hope it has some support.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, karlos1983 said:

That's your idea of fun :nonono:

no way by 'fun' I meant not to be taken seriously at 700+ hours away, its CFS!

• Like 2

Posted

*If* and a big if the models are starting to pick up on height rises then It won't suddenly switch from nothing to a full northern attack, we do normally get a phasing of solutions and I feel this could be what is happening here.  All the long term modelling still puts height rises to our north over the next few weeks, maybe this is the NWP picking up on that signal that the longer range models could see.  Considering we are talking about only 144 hours away, I feel it could become a very exciting 24 hours....

1 hour ago, Mucka said:

Deinitely!

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

morning all and if  f1  right and as Hammond on BBC news 24 weather  said  last night snow and ice could arr around dec 10 onward!!!

• Like 1

Posted

The main difference at the end of the ecm run is this morning's run shows increased amplification of the Aleutian ridge across the pole and the slight regression of the Newfoundland low forcing the Azores to amplify and ridge NW as the tough(s) tracking SE, to the east, move closer.

ecm_z500_anom_nh_11.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

The main difference at the end of the ecm run is this morning's run shows increased amplification of the Aleutian ridge across the pole and the slight regression of the Newfoundland low forcing the Azores to amplify and ridge NW as the tough(s) tracking SE, to the east, move closer.

ecm_z500_anom_nh_11.png

Ecm looks isolated at 144 though compared to ukmo/gfs so although it looks nice i will hold fire until ens come out, but if ecm is correct then increasingly colder as we head through the first week of December....