Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Certainly a cold few days to come in this early bout of Arctic air and we don't look like changing over to something milder until towards the end of the coming week.

A look at the latest London temp graph

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

shows a an upward trend into week 2 before easing back down towards a mean average but of course as expected a wide range of options around the mean line by that time..

A look at the gefs 00z stamps for Friday coming and pretty good agreement by then that the Atlantic eventually wins through

slp-144.png

Some differences in timing in clearing the trough from the east but taken along with the operational charts a more westerly pattern establishing by next weekend..

Looking further on and and some form of further Atlantic ridging is hinted at-quite strongly in the ECM op-but even the watered down mean charts at day 10 show something

h500slpmean-240.pngecm500.240.png

so in week 2 a changeable outlook with some mix of air masses as the mean jet runs across the UK- perhaps something colder if future Atlantic ridging shows up strongly which would bring in a more northerly flow.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

The Ecm may be slightly over doing things but with all the background signals I wouldn't rule out charts like that coming off in the not to distant.

Lowest sea ice on record since 1981, high snow cover across Siberia and Scandinavia, still a negative ao, zonal winds at the lower end of the scale, warm Canada etc.

One consistent theme that I can see is that the PV isn't really recovering, even in the later stages of most models. Also the trend to set up a chunk over Greenland seems to be weakening with every run too.

• Like 7

Posted

Some news re whether the ECM has gone off into fantasyland or whether theres any mileage in its medium term view. The big issue at present is how amplified the pattern might be over the eastern USA, US forecasters haven't ruled out the more amplified solutions but theres a large spread of solutions.

You'll note that the GFS 06hrs run increased the amplification compared to its earlier 00hrs run. So we'll have to see whether that trend continues this evening.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
34 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Para ecm finally out and doesn't support the amplified pattern of the 00z op in its latter stages 

We can still dream can't we:santa-emoji:

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

240_thickuk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

So now some are saying GFS is the daddy, it would be nice if this run throws something good up around day 10!! Looks quite similar to the last run although slightly better around Greenland and NE cabada with regards heights!!

I spoke too soon, nothing happening on this run!!

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Quite a lot of changes from the GFS in the past 24 hours...

GFSOPEU12_144_1.png

At this rate we may end up getting a second attempt at an undercut:D.

The Scandi high is much further west but will the ECM and UKMO back it up?

I think anything after T144 should be taken with a huge pinch of salt!

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 2

Posted

Certainly a correction westwards on the models throughout the course of today. It started with the GFS 06z op and now the 12z GFS & UKMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
21 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

So now some are saying GFS is the daddy, it would be nice if this run throws something good up around day 10!! Looks quite similar to the last run although slightly better around Greenland and NE cabada with regards heights!!

I spoke too soon, nothing happening on this run!!

Oh I don't know....

gfsnh-0-228.png?12

Every run is different at the moment though, especially day 9 onwards. Uppers nothing special either.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Another run another outcome on the gfs this run sees us initially in north westerly flow then into a easterly with increasingly colder uppers  making there way over the uk . Model watching this season certainly isn't boring 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

ECM 00z, GFS 12z, and many of the GEFS perturbations are showing another attempt at ridging towards Greenland around day 10. GLOSEA5 is also showing support for blocking mid/late Nov so there is certainly a bit of support for the ECM. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a growing trend.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

You know how outrageous this mornings ECM looked at D10...

ECH1-240.GIF?05-12

Well, GFS 12....

gfsnh-0-228.png?12

OK, so the ECM is still outrageous but maybe not looking quite so outrageous now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

GFS 12Z has England and Wales bathed in minus 6 uppers at the end, picking up on that trend for the final third of the month perhaps.

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

ECH1-240.GIF?05-12

Well, GFS 12....

gfsnh-0-228.png?12

OK, so the ECM is still outrageous but maybe not looking quite so outrageous now.

Watching how that run evolves, it doesn't look anything special, however, knock a degree off the uppers and a slight westward adjustment and you have an a snowy easterly! Plus that's without a Greenland high.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Uh... what happened to that low over central Scandinavia?

Okay - I can answer my own question; days 4-5 see a plume of warm air headed for western Asia, along the western edge of which a lowering of pressure is predicted to occur, but whereas previous runs have consolidated a single, quite vigorous low pressure system from this, the 12z divides the potential between a couple of weaker disturbances. 

That storm has been an important factor in cracking the blocking  high's defensive walls prior to the Atlantic approach. Without it, the game changes - and GFS has to rely on a well (or should I say poorly) placed and timed shortwave low to erode the defences and prevent the Atlantic trough from disrupting.

Blocking highs over Scandinavia have a habit of messing with any 'Atlantic goes here in a nice orderly fashiion' assertions on multiple occasions in a row. Even so - I wasn't expecting to see it finding a potential way  back this side of mid-month!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Interestingly a few GFS ensemble members  going for a linking of Atlantic and Scandi ridges in the mid term. Quite different to what was on offer yesterday even among the more favourable perturbations.

gensnh-5-1-150.pnggensnh-6-1-138.pnggensnh-15-1-156.pnggensnh-18-1-156.pnggensnh-19-1-150.pnggensnh-20-1-156.png

If the models keep trending this way then things should develop quite quickly as far as any blocking and potential cold signal goes for our little island.

Could all disappear of course but a very interesting ECM and weekend output coming up either way.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted

The UKMO could have been a lot more interesting at T144hrs if this shortwave energy didn't stop the high over Scandi from exerting more pressure on the troughing near Greenland. It could still get there if the upstream pattern can amplify more which would help the energy head more se. You can see the annoying shortwave here:

UN144-21.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

Good feeling about the coming winter. I think the models will be more "on topic" and we won't have to post all those golden oldies. I sense the models are toying with a Scandinavian high. GFS keeps pressure relatively high there throughout its run. It could nudge back in or we could have a full on incursion. Pre Christmas easterlies have been a rarity and can be wasted because of the warm North Sea. But no harm in hoping.

We are due one and I don't buy the fifty heads argument. The next one is always going to be tails for me. Btw did you notice the rosy glow in the cumulus tops at sunset. There's ice in them clouds.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

ECH1-240.GIF?05-12

Well, GFS 12....

gfsnh-0-228.png?12

Not outrageous but too soon imo.   Quite a month ahead.  Nice to see the Scandinavia HP having some say in this, not quite controlling but quite involved.  UKMO is a corker

BFTP

• Like 1