Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Given where we were yesterday and the huge changes especially in the UKMO output we've at least reached base camp!

Where we go from here depends on how much energy can disrupt off the troughing to the west, we don't want to see the bowling ball low as per the UKMO T144hrs output.

You preferably want the weaker shortwave as shown in the GFS, we still don't manage to get those lower heights far enough east towards northern Italy. That's really what we need to see going forward.

Yep, that's really all I was saying. I wasn't insinuating that we are staring down the barrel of a deep cold outbreak from the north or east. But to win the lottery you need a ticket. I'd say we've just got to the shop and are standing in the que right now. Whereas yesterday we had got to the shop at 7:45 and it was to late!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted
48 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Just looking at what the charts are churning out they seem to show something different to what N Miller has just said

" as the week goes on it will turn less cold "  I know these charts aren't that great BUT

Rtavn16817.gif

Also the UKMO 12z run would suggest some chilly days ,  today has been 9c , seems an odd comment from Nicky boy

Either the models are all wrong at T120 or the bbc forecasts are using old data. It really is that simple.

• Like 3

Posted

Its complicated, where i do agree with IDO is the repeating signal to sink the high, the natural upstream  response to that would be the PV gathering strength- thats not a pattern coldies want to see - ecm will be interesting... :)

Posted

Lets hope that after this move to the ECM it then doesn't go AWOL! I tend to think that its on the money here because the GFS and UKMO have been woeful in the last few weeks and its like picking the form team in football. Of course as we've seen form teams can score the odd own goal but with the ECM latching onto this trend within the T144hrs mark and with others supporting that now I would be gobsmacked if it hoofed the penalty over the bar.

The issue if lets say the ECM continues with the same trend is to get the cold air west rather than doing its skirting routine avoiding the UK and heading se and we still need some changes to get to that point.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
21 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

In the current position which is a possible transitional one in the mid term- pointless looking past day 7 TBH let alone forecasting 14c after day 10..

Also in just 2 runs the GFS ENS ( now 12z) have totally changed the atlantic profile at 120 from a positive tilted NE jet flow to a blocked neg tilt...

S

Hi

I admire your fortitude, but looking at the GEFS at D8-9 and there is zero interest, in fact solid agreement despite your opinion that it can all change after D7: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=216

The fact there are subtle changes in the short wave pattern yet the long wave pattern seems to be solid suggests that these changes will just alter surface conditions and speed of transition and will have minimal effect on a pattern change. Again at D12: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=288 good support for the ops amongst the GEFS (for FI), though not as mild:

gens-21-0-288.png

Based on these charts I would have higher confidence than of late on the next 10-12 days. But the good thing with weather it can flip flop quickly though I see little interest on Twitter for any driver for change currently.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, IDO said:

Hi

I admire your fortitude, but looking at the GEFS at D8-9 and there is zero interest, in fact solid agreement despite your opinion that it can all change after D7: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=216

The fact there are subtle changes in the short wave pattern yet the long wave pattern seems to be solid suggests that these changes will just alter surface conditions and speed of transition and will have minimal effect on a pattern change. Again at D12: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=288 good support for the ops amongst the GEFS (for FI), though not as mild:

gens-21-0-288.png

Based on these charts I would have higher confidence than of late on the next 10-12 days. But the good thing with weather it can flip flop quickly though I see little interest on Twitter for any driver for change currently.

Yes but every early change like the butterfly effect can culminate in bigger changes later. Take for instance the  change in tilt and orientation of the shortwave over the central USA, this impacted the amplitude of the Atlantic low and clearance of shortwave energy to the north at a critical timeframe.

And of course weather is fluid, every action has a reaction if you know what I mean. The upstream change effectively was picked up only today so it could be that this might take some time to feed into the more medium term. I'm not saying that we should get our sledges and ear muffs out but for the timebeing should keep an open mind in case these changes within the T144hrs timeframe start to have a greater effect down the line.

To use a couple of analogies. If you change the start of the book you might get a different ending! or for poultry lovers, what comes first the chicken or the egg, we might get a happier chicken which might lay a better egg!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gem 12z isn't interested in anything wintry, quite the opposite in fact as it bathes the uk in mild air later in the run.

GEMOPEU12_168_2.png

GEMOPEU12_192_2.png

GEMOPEU12_216_2.png

GEMOPEU12_240_2.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Great upgrades today so far from the 3 main models from the position we were in Yesterday hopefully the ECM continues the theme shortly. No point looking beyond 168hr until the earlier stages are settled.:D

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Next weekend could see another chilly snap before temperatures recover during the 1st full week of December - we then see a downward trend as we approach mid month

gefsens850London0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Haven't seen upgrades like these for yonks; not since at least 2012-13.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS caught my attention this evening, no silly cold FI charts, but certainly a very positive set up as we enter winter 2016/17.

GFSOPEU12_120_1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
24 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Next weekend could see another chilly snap before temperatures recover during the 1st full week of December - we then see a downward trend as we approach mid month

gefsens850London0.png

Yes, the first proper cool to cold spell (below average for at least 3-4 days consecutively next week) upcoming for London and the SE area in general. Nothing new for parts due North of the Midlands and parts of Ireland as they've endured several cold days of late. Judging by that graph as others have stated don't put too much faith in any model outputs past the 1st/2nd December right now but look for interconnected scenarios across the 12zs and days past. A long haul to snow filled conditions but the cold is a-coming in. Over to the ECM and I'd suggest you shouldn't panic if it diverts back to an alternate scenario past D7, as it's simply toying with all the uncertainties at that timeframe and beyond. Main takeaways to hope for if a coldie, is a blocked Atlantic and an increasing depth of cold over the nearby continent. 

EDIT: Oops, the ECM operational is having none of the above, so far it seems. However, we should never take the forecasted 850s as gospel, whether looking for either milder or colder solutions as lingering FOG will result in huge differences at the surface.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

*very important*

GFSECMWF, UKMO, JMA & NAVGEM have now finally come together.......the announcement has just been made on facebook.....relationship status: "It's complicated"......yup, that sums up the models quite nicely! lol

I prefer the relationship status of "Not Telling" which is presumably more accurate. :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Back to the models you two please! :friends:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
21 minutes ago, chris55 said:

GFS caught my attention this evening, no silly cold FI charts, but certainly a very positive set up as we enter winter 2016/17.

GFSOPEU12_120_1.png

To me, that big wodge of HP looks primed to retrogress...If it does the flood gates would surely open...Yee Ha!:good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The problem with saying that there is good model agreement at day 8 onwards is quite simply this.

This was the output for day 6 yesterday

ECM1-144.GIF?12   UW144-21.GIF?25-12   gfs-0-144.png?12

Now 24 hours later we have decent agreement for this...

ECM1-120.GIF?26-0   UW120-21.GIF?26-18   gfs-0-120.png?12

Looking at this, the ECM seems to be ahead of the game as the chart 24 hours ago wasn't too far off, the only difference was a secondary low which ran north east and flattened the UK ridge (base of the Atlantic trough). The other two have now come around to the same broad longwave solution now.

Now the GEFs at around day 8 allow the Azores high to ridge north east and cut off the low heights to our south west and hence send the jet over the top, hence the mild mean solution. What if this situation does not occur as seen by the transformation over the past 24 hours? Whilst the GEFs show reasonable longer range consistency, I would treat this with caution given the chance that the upstream jet could again split against heights near the UK.

I will say that whilst the ECM day 6 is not as good as this mornings, that high will hold and not drift ESE.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

if you like high pressure there's lots to like about the Ecm 12z, it looks fine and benign.:)

24_mslp500.png

48_mslp500.png

72_mslp500.png

96_mslp500.png

120_mslp500.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Back from behind the sofa as the ECM keeps the trend of this morning and the subsequent 12z gfs and ukmo. Now we can hopefully start to improve on this and perhaps get some decent uppers towards the uk. Tall order but not impossible at all.

edit: I would say we have now bought our ticket. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1