Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

How has it lost the plot? It could be right

Pass, Frosty...Maybe it's us that's 'lost the plot'?:D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Pass, Frosty...Maybe it's us that's 'lost the plot'?:D

Maybe you are right Ed..I mean pete:)

Model fatigue and its not even winter yet, anyway, the high is welcome respite from the recent very unsettled weather.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted

And in recent years the red arrow always wins. Black Friday, black arrow. It's time for a bit of luck. frosty and dry would suit me fine if that's how it has to be.

• Like 4

Posted

The Ecm normally provides a cold tease at T+240 but not this time, now that's a  long draw swly:help:..think I preferred the old Ecm:whistling:

240_mslp850.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I have said this before ,i will take what the main models say out to 168 hrs ,as thats a week away ,tomorrows rum  or should i say run will most likely be different again , i think perhaps the GFS as been on the Rum the last few days .Perhaps for now we are better off with nothing too cold or snowy in the charts ,just let things mature a bit and just wait to see what pops up more towards mid december , so another cliff hanger of a day , we are controled by computer weather models gang , great posts great forum , Stellas all round cheers .:friends:

• Like 6

Posted
18 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Ecm normally provides a cold tease at T+240 but not this time, now that's a  long draw swly:help:..think I preferred the old Ecm:whistling:

240_mslp850.png

240_mslp500.png

In all seriousness frosty i think this happening is very low. Calm and frosty is the name of the game and emphasis on some very cold nights  in the reliable. Hoarfrost looks widespreadibly possible monday into tuesday looking at the latest temps if we get some nighttime fog in the mix:give_rose:Tomorrows run hopefully want throw me off my chair like tonights!

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Tomorrow's run hopefully won't throw me off my chair like tonight's!

All joking aside I know the Ecm upgrade is a very welcome addition as it introduces a dynamic sea-ice model and increases the resolution of the ocean model among other features. I just don't want to see charts like this which are a cruel reminder of last December!:)

ECMOPEU12_240_2.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

ECM is as dreadful as it gets tonight with the UK thrust into very very mild air post day 8-

There hasnt been 1 decent cold outlook from the ECM since it landed this week & it  has thus far easily pegged the GFS which has continually backtracked on any cold-

The only crumb of comfort is all the mildness comes day 9 / 10 with opportunity of change to a colder blocked high still flagging at 168...

very poor couple of days models....

Steve sorry it is not a very poor couple of days models as their only spewing out data every other hour and produce a mean cold, mild, hot. wind. rain. snow. sleet. ect ect...

What is fustrating for me however is these posts that call for a change to a cold pattern at 10+ days away (yes I know you have your science behind your reasoning and respect that but don't you or mods think that should be for the lrf's thread?) as a lot of people who takes pros talk for gospel and hang on it usually end up disappointed.

personaly :

i am all for a cold and snowy winter however lrf's and such statements should never be taken gospel which people has done so already such as +4 weeks down the line. cohen predicts and fergie this or gp predicts that. Dispite and I love reading their take on proceedings going forward these posts should be valid in the lrf prediction territory and if wrong never mind. However mod thread a popular thread this time of year and we get a lot of let's say 'long time listeners and no posters' who are facinated by winter weather come here daily to check what popular posters are saying and from my prospective it's wrong telling your grandma to prepare for cold weather +2-4 weeks in advance. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

ecm500.168.png

This is as far as I'd pay much attention to the ECM 12z; the way the secondary low then moves east on the N. flank of the longwave Atlantic trough is unconvincing. Having said that, the notion of strong height rises across Europe does tie in with the analogues for a tropical wave moving through the Maritime Continent in December (phases 4-5)... but the important thing to note is how you have that signal for Pacific ridges to shift poleward during this period and attack the vortex, resulting in height rises N of the UK by the time the MJO is on it's way out of the Maritime Continent (leaving 5) and into the W. Pacific (entering phase 6; bear in mind that the response takes time to propagate from the tropics, yet AFAIK these plots show composites with no lag applied). 

DecemberPhase4gt1500mb.gif - - - >DecemberPhase5gt1500mb.gif - - - > DecemberPhase6gt1500mb.gif

Now if we could see the Nino-like atmosphere allow for a bit of extra amplification during the 4-5 transit, we could convert the scene in the analogues to one of blocking right up through Scandinavia, but it'll take some doing to overcome the invigorated Atlantic jet - as the ECM 12z shows.

It would be downright odd to manage to go some 4 weeks in the run-up to a cold weather outbreak without seeing some mild, Atlantic driven weather. I'm only even giving such an eventuality much consideration because of the unprecedented weakness and disorganisation of the vortex for late Nov - early Dec.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
10 minutes ago, london-snow said:

it's wrong telling your grandma to prepare for cold weather +2-4 weeks in advance. 

but not for mother in laws , then they wont visit for Christmas

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

And back to the Models..

• Like 3

Posted

Very similar ECM eps day 10 mean chart to this morning.

EDH1-240.GIF

The extended eps broadly similar across the Atlantic sector with the signals obviously diluting a little.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

I agree with the frustration of some on here with the preoccupation with long term signals. It's like watching a movie where you see the smoke machine churning out fog in the foreground while the wood beyond is clear as a bell. By the time you get through the fog to the wood it has disappeared. :closedeyes:

Edited by Weathervane
Clarity
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
15 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Very similar ECM eps day 10 mean chart to this morning.

EDH1-240.GIF

The extended eps broadly similar across the Atlantic sector with the signals obviously diluting a little.

So nothing remotely decent even right at the end?

• Like 2

Posted

The anomalies this evening are very much more on the same page than they have been recently so maybe, just maybe, some light at the end of this, albeit short, tunnel

The upstream pattern is an upper low north of Alaska with associated trough with the ridge in the eastern Pacific south of that. With the HP norther Canada as strong as ever there is an energy flow across the southern States and exiting via the trough south of Newfoundland. There is some variance how this handled by the GEFS and EPS which reflects a little in the ridging in the eastern Atlantic adjacent to the UK. The upshot of all this should be a period of drier weather and with upper winds from the W/SW and sourced from the southern States temperatures a little above average.

610day.03.gifecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

The main difference as we move forward into the 10-15 period is that the Pacific ridge retrogresses and intensifies and the trough in the US does likewise but the GEFS and EPS are handling this differently which will effect the upstream forcing and thus the downstream evolution. At the moment we looking at not much change from the 6-10 but in the pending file

814day.03.gifgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the ecm got this higher pressure nailed on and the gfs followed. Nothing to say it hasn't got the blow torch south westerlies bang on either although thankfully deep FI so it could change it's mind tomorrow. Although it wouldn't be surprising now that we enter winter the ideal charts we had in Autumn disappear altogether and we end up with rubbish. If it going to be mild please be stormy. Noticed the words of Winter doom in the last few days. Building blocks and be patient were slipping into the vocabulary. The ECM eps day 10 mean shows signs of the vortex trying to get it's act together. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The anomalies this evening are very much more on the same page than they have been recently so maybe, just maybe, some light at the end of this, albeit short, tunnel

The upstream pattern is an upper low north of Alaska with associated trough with the ridge in the eastern Pacific south of that. With the HP norther Canada as strong as ever there is an energy flow across the southern States and exiting via the trough south of Newfoundland. There is some variance how this handled by the GEFS and EPS which reflects a little in the ridging in the eastern Atlantic adjacent to the UK. The upshot of all this should be a period of drier weather and with upper winds from the W/SW and sourced from the southern States temperatures a little above average.

610day.03.gifecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

The main difference as we move forward into the 10-15 period is that the Pacific ridge retrogresses and intensifies and the trough in the US does likewise but the GEFS and EPS are handling this differently which will effect the upstream forcing and thus the downstream evolution. At the moment we looking at not much change from the 6-10 but in the pending file

814day.03.gifgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

Off the 10-15 day chart then, is this the evolution that "could" lead to the colder middle of Dec that some are mentioning? Will the block come from the other side Alaskan side to create a poss pole heights/block?

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Broadly, the extended range is similar to the day 10 pattern (at least over the Atlantic sector).  No sign of any cheer for the coldies at the moment.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well it does evolve closely to the ec46 which can't be a bad thing going forward

in my opinion, this extended run increases the likelihood of amplification to our west in the 10/15 day period and a potential polar split thereafter with the aleutian ridge strengthening. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

ecm500.240.png

Hmm, anyone seen any good BBQs on sale this Black Friday? Asking for a friend. 

• Like 2