Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
15 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I would caveat that statement, buy adding by the GFS to the end of it.

The ECM has performed very well, particularly the ensembles. The GEFS on the other has and continues to churn out means showing a Northerly when it just isn't going to happen.

As I illustrated last night, the extended have had a fair old fail

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Well - what a turnaround from yesterdays treats :closedeyes: we were spoilt to be honest  - cold embedding in decent frosts and good to see the snow holding on the peaks for November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

From what I've seen from the models as we head into December pretty much void of negative nao.

I believe our chance will come if the polar vortex gets disrupted further.

although I'm skeptical of any real Greenland type blocks.

we see vortex building strength this likely to continue through December 

• Like 1

Posted

Huge fan of this page, but already beginning to see exhaustion setting in. I have learnt so much in the last few years by reading between the lines and trying not to get hung up on the one liners.

Having been a follower of this for a good few years, here is my take on the model output at moment. The swings are huge. From deep deep cold to mild mush, there is of course a huge difference to this time last year.

This time last year we had absolutely no signs of cold, this year we have a vortex which has been on holiday, unable to decide where it will go for a number of weeks. The feeling I have is that we could be on the cusp of something great or just get caught in no mans land frustrated as cold pools vere into the mid atlantic. I love a good storm, but I am really not seeing where this jet will become mobile in the short term.

Is exciting and I think a chill pill needs to be handed out, if as has been said by we minutely look at each run four by GFS then it is frought with danger.

please don't let the sniping and one upisms get your backs up

this could be a hugely exciting winter period     

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

UK Outlook for Saturday 10 Dec 2016 to Saturday 24 Dec 2016:

After a wet and windy start to this period, high pressure is likely to dominate from mid December, with fairly 'blocked' conditions becoming established across the UK.

Hopefully this doesn't mean high pressure sat over the UK. We need it to move northwards. 

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

From what I've seen from the models as we head into December pretty much void of negative nao.

I believe our chance will come if the polar vortex gets disrupted further.

although I'm skeptical of any real Greenland type blocks.

we see vortex building strength this likely to continue through December 

GFS is keeping it negative at the moment. ECM has it rising above towards the end of the run, but it hasn't been too consistent with this. ECM also has AO going positive, while the GFS mildly negative.

• Like 1

Posted

Winters in the UK are like a Tombola.  All the season we put our hands in that bucket, normally the odds are stacked against our favour....firstly we have to get a number ending in a '5' and even if we do, most of the prizes are unwanted Bath Salts. This winter though, things are different. It feels there are a lot more '5's and the prizes this time are epic...let's just hope we get a lucky ticket. :)

• Like 3

Been following for a couple of years and enjoy reading different posts and the way the weather changes.its different to last year already rain after rain  enjoying the sunshine today cold wind but dry as I learned get the cold in first and the goods will follow hopefully as it is still autumn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I've come on about this time the last couple of days to posts in awe and wonder after the GFS 6z run only to see expectations firmly temperered and back on the leash after the later ECM and GFS runs.

I'm fully expecting hoping today turns out to be the complete opposite!  :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
28 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Huge fan of this page, but already beginning to see exhaustion setting in. I have learnt so much in the last few years by reading between the lines and trying not to get hung up on the one liners.

Having been a follower of this for a good few years, here is my take on the model output at moment. The swings are huge. From deep deep cold to mild mush, there is of course a huge difference to this time last year.

This time last year we had absolutely no signs of cold, this year we have a vortex which has been on holiday, unable to decide where it will go for a number of weeks. The feeling I have is that we could be on the cusp of something great or just get caught in no mans land frustrated as cold pools vere into the mid atlantic. I love a good storm, but I am really not seeing where this jet will become mobile in the short term.

Is exciting and I think a chill pill needs to be handed out, if as has been said by we minutely look at each run four by GFS then it is frought with danger.

please don't let the sniping and one upisms get your backs up

this could be a hugely exciting winter period     

Great post :)

Background signals have been consistently pointing to some markedly different conditions this year to previous awful 'winters' which is very interesting in itself. No guarantees of snow but thankfully months of Atlantic ghastliness looks unlikely this year. It is November 25 not February 25 so no reason to be downbeat whatsoever. 

Some very nice early winter weather to come in the next week or so too, with high pressure in charge.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Looks like the GFS is ready to wave the white flag on the Northerly if the 06z ensembles are to be believed which is odd given the signal strengthened if anything in the 00z set.

ECM is a good run if you like dry chilly weather with frost but taken at face value it is followed by long draw Southwesterlies and very mild weather. We could muse about the possibility of a Scandi high another week down the road but otherwise it is pretty desperate stuff if we are looking for cold in FI. I suspect we will maintain a more amplifed pattern than that though so doubt it is leading the way to a pattern change.

ECM ensembles have totally moved away from any real cold and mostly go for temps around normal to above normal for early December after a chilly start, A few very mild runs probably reflecting patterns close to the Op but huge scatter and a few chilly runs too so not a lot of information there other than no signal for real cold.

Given all that, it is a case of taking long term forecasts at face value and looking forward to our first cold spell toward mid December that leads into a white Christmas for the optimistic cold weather fans. :snowman-emoji:

November will end a fairly chilly month and there has been a fair bit of blocking, just mid latitude blocking that never quite set up in the right places for an unseasonably cold blast.

Early December looks like more of the same so we await charts that show the blocking getting into the higher latitudes to enhance our cold prospects.

I kind of hope the phantom northerly is completely put to bed this evening as a break from willing cold and snow charts into reality is needed :)

Time for a rest and to come back refreshed to chase down those Winter charts - in actual Winter! :D

(We all know this evenings output will probably lure us back in though and we are still in an amplified pattern so something can, and probably will, crop up very quickly :santa-emoji:)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Very exciting times ahead I feel. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Call me crazy, but I still have a feeling the models will start to show a swing back to colder in the next couple of day's

You are crazy!

Then again, so am I probably because I have the niggling feeling that's likely/possible too. Put it this way, nothing will surprise me given the model shenanigans recently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Can anyone remember such a week of yo-yo output before this one? Last winter it was obvious relentless mush. Even Dec 2010 was rock solid in its output leading up to it.  It's been extraordinary and I doubt its not over yet. Surprised no one has mention Shannon during the week!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 hours ago, booferking said:

Scandi high me thinks. Building heights towards i mean

I was seeing a distinct upper ridge building in the Atlantic in close proximity -  it suddenly built from a flat scenario in just a few frames on the mean deep into FI, unfortunately it flattened again, if at that range it would have continued to build by 384, that would have been a very strong signal at such range.

Posted
1 hour ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

And relax................ and SMILE.

A Santa surprise perhaps. 

Although encouraging can't help but feel everything's getting shunned further and further back.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
1 hour ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

And relax................ and SMILE.

A Santa surprise perhaps. 

Looks like ecmwf seeing an easterly flow weeks 3 and getting stronger week 4 then judging by those temperature charts. Haven't seen any 500hpa anomaly charts yet. Shame it's still 3 weeks away but like I said last night, would still rather it be showing the cold outcome it is rather than mild anomalies regardless of how unreliable it's been or how far away it is. 

• Like 2