Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
54 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Really! Tonight was positively happy compared to some I've known. And anyway we're not supposed to be totally sane or deliver emotionless posts, that's part of the appeal of the thread. If you think tonight was bad wait for the next easterly drama with -15 uppers shown hurtling towards the UK only to be scuppered by a misbehaving shortwave!

Actually really......some of the posting is ridiculously OTT, and as has been requested god knows how many times over the years, sensible model discussion is encouraged. There are plenty of other threads on NW if anyone wishes to moan about the weather or compile posts which would otherwise be considered off topic in this thread...One-liners, over-negative/over dramatic posts have absolutely no place in this thread, all it does it help derail the thread and put off people from posting, as well as giving inaccurate information regarding the outputs...stewfox's ironic post (which you liked) is a perfect example of what I'm talking about  ....as I've mentioned recently, a bit of character and sense of humour & passion is certainly an advantage in this thread, but there is a difference between that and the melodramatic stuff that gets posted......personally I'd love a bunch of charts showing snow that actually verifies, but I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't, unlike some seemingly!

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

SAME thing happens within the model thread every year..

Someone's expectations are publicly burnt at the stake and others worries are drowned in a lake - and then the thread starts again with the mods warning everyone to behave - then it happens again.

...been there, read it slept in the t-shirt. 

We're living on an Island where the main topic of conversation is the weather, like it or not. THREE days forecast is the acceptable hope (but not specifically in a small back yard 3 miles north of croydon et al) we have to see the bigger picture which as it turns out isn't as easy as it sounds.  Long term influences, trend and analytical observations way beyond the understanding of folk like me are WHY we're here on this fab forum

Behave, be polite, ask questions and learn

Over-and-out for yet another year

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

i think the mods need to start the moan thread once again like last season which helped a good deal hint hint,anyway i dont no any model which can forecast the weather in 3 days never mind trying to forecast something in 4 weeks time nothing is certain bar tax and death unfortunately for sure the models will show something completley different later today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

John Hammond sums things up nicely in his weather for the week ahead. He says the weather models are in disarray and he can't call whether cold or mild will win out. So expect a lot more flip flops to come in here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Models continuing the rather uninteresting theme. Fairly quiet weather any cold just missing the uk same with mild. Word of warning for those who think blocking = automatic cold. It depends where the block sets up we could end up with weeks of mild rubbish as well.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I suspect we will start to see some better model runs over the next couple of day's regarding the northerly around the 4th December.

It was consistently modelled until the models started picking up the short waves, hopefully the northerly signal will be picked up again soon.

Loving the long range signals for late December, would really be something special to see snow for all at Christmas, might be worth a cheeky £5 bet

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Is a rather lacklustre 00z GFS op for cold and snow lovers, the jet just won't amplify enough and is tracking a little too far north. Still, swings in the model output over recent days may mean there's still some hope ...

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Models continuing the rather uninteresting theme. Fairly quiet weather any cold just missing the uk same with mild. Word of warning for those who think blocking = automatic cold. It depends where the block sets up we could end up with weeks of mild rubbish as well.

Edited by ArHu3
I want to enter text in message but can't. Doesn't look boring to me but rather exciting even: we just needs a small change from this setup to a scandi or greenland high
  • Like 2

Posted

ECM never really loses the high pressure upto 168 on this run - the high looks to be slowly edging north now so could be decent long term. High is dry, that's good for a start - with plenty of frosts.

• Like 6

Posted

Good run from ECM this morning. Majority of Europe below average, lot of cold air around. Great for mountains as it would allow snowpack to build. Nice starting point I think :)

• Like 3

Posted

Today

Not dissimilar to yesterday except less cloud in England and Wales except perhaps the NE coast. Still quite breezy in the south with an easterly wind which make it fell a tad more cold than it actually is The actual temps will range from around average in the south to quite cool in N. Ireland and Scotland where there is a widespread frost this morning with some freezing fog in places which may not clear.

1hourprecip_d02_10.pngtemperature_d02_16.png

Now the GFS

Upstream forcing is initially as before pushing the high pressure east to form a cell over the UK by 12z Monday and the trough to the SE of Greenland attempting to phase with the trough(s) to the south west of the UK and form a new one in Mid Atlantic

gfs_z500a_natl_12.png

It fails to do this as amplification is renewed with a lot of energy swinging around the Canadian HP and east from the southern States forming a another trough running south from Newfoundland and once more forcing the ridging Azores HP NE to be orientated west-east in the eastern Atlantic Simultaneously it forces the energy tracking east over Greenland to travel further east before slipping south east and thus avoiding the UK

gfs_z500a_natl_25.pnggfs_z500a_natl_33.png

You will have noticed another trough has formed south of Greenland and this runs NE to negatively tilted to the NW of the UK by Sunday. How does all of this translate to surface weather for the UK. The latter will remain under the influence of high Pressure but this will start to break down on Tuesday as fronts swing in from the west over Scotland. In the next couple of days a depression tracks SE into the north North Sea which introduces a strong NE wind with perhaps severe gales over Scotland accompanied by periods of rain, perhaps snow on the high ground. Thereafter a brief resurgence of the high pressure before unsettled weather arrives generally by the weekend. Temps initially cold and below average but next week more like average and even a little above

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_26.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Good run from ECM this morning. Majority of Europe below average, lot of cold air around. Great for mountains as it would allow snowpack to build. Nice starting point I think :)

I disagree. I think it's a shocker!

Probably the worst operational in a long time?

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Well, at least it will remain dry and chilly in the south with overnight frosts through next week, some cloud and rain in the north mid-week as Atlantic fronts return and winds turn westerly for a time here, before high pressure builds back in for all to end the week. The 500mb vortex gathering strength over Greenland toward the end of the run not such a nice sight though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
22 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Yes. Good continuing cold for the Central and Eastern European contingent. From 72h to 240h here as an example. Very pleased.

ECM0-72.gif

ECM0-240 (2).gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Well, at least it will remain dry and chilly in the south with overnight frosts through next week, some cloud and rain in the north mid-week as Atlantic fronts return and winds turn westerly for a time here, before high pressure builds back in for all to end the week. The 500mb vortex gathering strength over Greenland toward the end of the run not such a nice sight though.

I was going to say the same thing about the ECM run....looking like turning back much flatter towards the end of the run, with the mild SW'erlies making a return. It's so far away I'd not pay too much attention for now anyway. Nothing too great to get excited about today really.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Johnp said:

What is it that you want/expect? A horrendous situation like last December? Or terrible flooding?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

What is it that you want/expect? A horrendous situation like last December? Or terrible flooding?

Let me think...

It begins with 'S' and rhymes with 'glow'.

:-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Forgetting what people want/don't want, Likes/dislikes.. Lets please just discuss what the models are actually showing. There is far more to them than just cold/snow..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Let me think...

It begins with 'S' and rhymes with 'glow'.

:-)

Luckily there are a good three months left for it :)

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, knocker said:

Very pleasant

ecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.png

And Sidney is smelling the coffee

Sid 2.jpg

I hope that doesn't verify. That would be stupidly cold for my country, considering the time of year.

Still, pinch of salt anything after day 6 still.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

31 minutes ago, Johnp said:

How does this help anyone! No charts, good run, bad run. No wonder the forum is like a giant rollercoaster! Good job there are some REAL experts in here.

• Like 3