Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, swfc said:

at 192 check out the tip of greenland on the 12z to the 18z .change a foot on this run.scandi high for me 

Greeny for me - just differing route.

Posted

That gap between between East Canada Low and Iceland Low is far small close for comfort. Though should the GH materialise it hopefully means no West Based NAO.

Edit: Or no negative NAO at all. :nonono:Quite the collapse.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

All roads lead to cold..hopefully! 

Another very encouraging run for coldies from the Gfs 18z with arctic air & snow featuring, especially towards the end with cold reload potential from the nw / n.:cold:

h850t850eu.png

ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

h850t850eu (1).png

prectypeuktopo (2).png

h850t850eu (2).png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Erm... this is now. The 17th of November.

gfsnh-0-6.png

That's significant blocking....

Well he clearly means blocking which affects the UK weather in a cold snowy type of way and he's right really, people do mention dates as a potential of interest then its keeps getting dragged further and further back where it becomes laughable really.

I do think the outlook is interesting and you can't rule significant cold set ups for sure but as of yet, the models havant exactly shown much in the way of significant cold set ups which is sometimes a good thing as something unexpected can sometimes pop up at more shorter notice instead of following a cold set up at 200 hours hoping it will become reality.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

gfsnh-12-12.png?18gfsnh-12-72.png?18gfsnh-12-144.png?18gfsnh-12-216.png?18gfsnh-12-288.png?18gfsnh-12-372.png?18

Im amazed at the continuity of the blocking in the atlantic. 3 day snapshots of the 18z run show positive height anomalies in the atlantic for the entire run.

nao.sprd2.gif

By far the best NAO forecast this season.

• Like 8

Posted

No charts to post but a little something I've picked up on here over the years.Don't get hyper on every run fgs.

Look at the more knowledgeable on here and take a 24 hr run and take the same run a day later etc.

No wonder there's toys out of pram and one liners that don't add anything to the thread.

The UK is in a good latitude but alot of others things going against us if it's cold winters your after but enjoy what we receive.We're always on the edge of something good (so it seems lol)but there's going to be more mild winters than not.Accept it.

Enjoy the ride and don't be too down when things go against the grain.

Also(and it might ruin the way people do thingso on here)I read the metoffice outlooks before reading the models(they are pro's but not untouchable)they give you a good guidance and you won't led down the garden path as much.

But if you like that sort of chase,ignore this post lol.

All the best everyone needs here's hoping you sell get the weather you're after(mild or cold).

See you all around.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Regarding the model output for tonight's snow, the more persistent band seems to be further North, streaming through the Clyde-Forth valley. Great news for me by the way, it's already snowing heavily! Long may it continue :cold:

• Like 9

Posted

On more immediate matters, the energy for the weekend storm is departing the Canadian arctic - blob NNE of Newfoundland.

seviri_eurnat_wv6-2_20161117_2300.jpg

And for the future; coldest extended ECM means seen yet.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s   ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

But not able to work out the pattern from a very blended Z500 mean.

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

So I had a quick look at the GEFS tonight as I have been over the last few nights because I am interested in seeing how low the pressure for my location will go - and as you would expect the first several days have runs pretty much in agreement with each other until tonight when the GEFS of all 4 runs combined shows this - how can there be any faith in any of the data when Day 0 has so much spread?

Edit: The air pressure for this location is currently 982hPa just to compare to any of the ensembles.....

gefs-4run-16day.png

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
Add actual air pressure reading.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
4 hours ago, Barry95 said:

First it was the middle of November, then the end of November, and now the start of December for the pattern change to significant blocking! Let's hope this isn't a theme of this winter as I have dejavu of this thing happening  from the last couple of winters. A couple of days ago Ian posted about a strong signal towards a more blocked pattern, with GLOSEA and MOGREPS both supporting that. But less than 24 hours later, the signals towards a more blocked pattern had already waned, which goes to show just how hard it is forecasting the weather anymore than a week in the UK. I'm currently not getting excited just yet as all the blocking charts seem to be remaining in the 10-15 day timeframe. The GFS 12z run everyone was getting excited about has already changed  on the 18z. The Northern Hemisphere background does still look much better than last year, but all the good background signals in the world don't gurantee cold/snowy weather for the UK. Until these blocked/cold charts get to at least day 7, theirs no point getting too excited in my opinion.

We are getting blocking though, just not in the right places to bring us cold so far (That is always a caveat.) although the next few days are far from mild just maybe not quite cold enough for snow to fall at low levels which is difficult to achieve in the Autumn.

What has been slightly disappointing though, is that blocking has been at the mid latitude rather than higher latitude so far.

Still all to play for and we are in a good position as we head toward winter and still with a chance of something colder before November is out.

The chase can be frustrating but it is also part of the fun.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

The ec ops are sinking the Arctic ridge towards our part of the NH in the latter stages of the runs. not an easy fella to model and could be indicative of a general sinking of the pattern over time.  Trying to work out an escape plan for our mid lat high! 

• Like 4

Posted

Found this on twitter showing mid Dec on the ec46

IMG_4629.PNG

annoyingly the para hasn't updated so I can't contrast and compare with the whole run. My view of the op 46 is it's similar to previous but probably more Atlantic high influence for us through weeks 3 and 4 with the sceuro low anomaly further east than the last few runs post week. Still seasonal though!

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ec ops are sinking the Arctic ridge towards our part of the NH in the latter stages of the runs. not an easy fella to model and could be indicative of a general sinking of the pattern over time.  Trying to work out an escape plan for our mid lat high! 

Yes me too Blue, looks mainly dry and cold on the ecm 00z but one wonders where we go from the day 10....that said got a lovely dusting of snow this morning, beautiful to see in mid November! :cold:

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Found this on twitter showing mid Dec on the ec46

IMG_4629.PNG

annoyingly the para hasn't updated so I can't contrast and compare with the whole run. My view of the op 46 is it's similar to previous but probably more Atlantic high influence for us through weeks 3 and 4 with the sceuro low anomaly further east than the last few runs post week. Still seasonal though!

Not a bad position for a high for the UK, by mid Dec we would be dragging in a cold N/NE flow from that. Arctic high forming too so looking good further into Dec.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
9 hours ago, booferking said:

GFS has been back tracking since yesterday ECM looks to be the form horse.

I thought the GFS was the short wave king.

Still holds the HP further north.

00z messy but brings hurricane force Northerlies at the end with the PV sat over us.....lol that'll be spot on then

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'll happily take this mornings ECM run - things settling down with a nice cold, crisp winter high.....no Atlantic steam train in sight!  :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Weekend low still not nailed assuming today's runs will try firm up more..

High res starting to come in and there is a lot of difference here is Net weather's take on gusts up to the end of the run totally different to the above 

nmmukgust.png

Certainly, nothing nailed. The high res numericals coming into effect will now have to be backed up from the North Atlantic synoptics available. As I can see there is now a formation of a low taking place . You would expect the deepest fall in pressure and track to follow the tight Baroclinic boundary along Polar Jet. Based on that the low should pass the SW of Ireland coast line 300 miles away and head to Brittany before starting its expected curve towards Southern Britain. However, more evidence required for exact track and intensity. It is noted that UKMO model this morning almost drops the secondary low development in to France at 120 hours. So nothing certain from what I can read into.

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z is a chilly run,  especially further north and shows next week's trough over the uk getting squeezed, filling and being replaced later next week by high pressure, especially further north and the mid range becomes benign and continues chilly with night frosts and fog but then later it becomes very unsettled from the NW with potential for an Arctic blast..early December could be wintry, it could even happen before that..The models are very interestingly poised.

h500slp.png

h500slp (1).png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3