Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean, after the next few days of mild weather, temps slide below average and stay that way for the most part, especially across the north where it looks generally cold. It's also a trough dominated outlook so expect showers and longer spells of rain, and expect snow at times on northern hills / low ground from time to time in the far north and occasionally down to modest hills in southern uk. Night frosts are set to return at times following the early mild interlude, and although we are likely to have strong winds at times, there would also be spells of quiet weather with fog, some of it freezing as recently, especially further south.

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_150_2mtmpmax.png

21_174_2mtmpmax.png

21_246_500mb.png

21_246_2mtmpmax.png

21_270_2mtmpmax.png

21_318_500mb.png

21_318_2mtmpmax.png

21_366_500mb.png

21_366_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted

Will the GFS 12hrs run take a shortwave se rather than eject the low over western Greenland. This would make a big difference going forward.

• Like 2

Posted

Even by Friday we see quite big differences between runs, the 12z has much better heights in Greenland, at the minute this means nothing but maybe this will help with a quicker blocking solution towards day 10 once the second low sweeps SE. The NH in general looks slight more blocky on this run including more WAA north of Alaska, we shall see!!

bottom image the latest.

IMG_3510.PNG

IMG_3511.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mucka said:

If you listen carefully you can hear the PV singing, "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye..."

gfsnh-0-120.png?12

Brings a tear to the eye (of joy :spiteful:)

The vortex resembling the dodo bird, in both looks and existence!

• Like 7

Posted

Shame the GFS after holding back the main low eventually pushes that se so we don't see any trough disruption, it looks like it will be the longwinded route to anything more interesting unless the Euros do something different.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Shame the GFS after holding back the main low eventually pushes that se so we don't see any trough disruption, it looks like it will be the longwinded route to anything more interesting unless the Euros do something different.

Give it time nick i reckon it will disrupt!!gfs just being stubborn maybe!!looked better than the 06z earlier on aswell!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

At the risk of sounding anthropomorphic, I hope ECM is a little less begrudging in developing blocking.

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

• Like 1

Posted

12Z does eventually show signs of retrogression - albeit confined to the final two frames. Lets be fair though, this back and forth should expected throughout this week - IF has repeatedly said as much. At this point, ensemble trends and cross model operational trends are more important than individual runs. The models aren't yet even showing December. (Having said that, if I'm saying the same point in a week and two weeks' time, I'll start to become less enthusiastic about what is to come) 

• Like 5

Posted

Lots of optimism around for wintry weather to take hold soon but very little in the models to get excited about yet. This day last year we had this in the reliable time frame ....

IMG_5247.JPG

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 7

Posted
37 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Lots of optimism around for wintry weather to take hold soon but very little in the models to get excited about yet. This day last year we had this in the reliable time frame ....

IMG_5247.JPG

We might have said the same thing 54 years ago but hey-ho,

12z

gfsnh-0-384-1.png

archivesnh-1962-11-29-0-0.png

Edited by bobbydog
Can't add up lol
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

IMG_5247.JPG

a lot what i keep hearing is the background signals are different to last year, i was going to post a northern hemisphere chart for last year for comparison but it wont upload, it would be good if someone could upload last years and this year to look at   

fromey

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/5/2016 at 20:42, northwestsnow said:
3 minutes ago, fromey said:

a lot what i keep hearing is the background signals are different to last year, i was going to post a northern hemisphere chart for last year for comparison but it wont upload, it would be good if someone could upload last years and this year to look at   

fromey

better to compare to nov 2014, that looked quite promissing :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

IMG_5247.JPG

T240 reliable? :)

I do remember that though, as both the 0z and 12z had it.

ECH1-240.GIF?00

It was but a fleeting dream 24 hours later though: another example of the ECM op over-amplifying at the end of its run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
26 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

IMG_5247.JPG

As I've said before, ten days is a long time in Meteorology but who knows, by the 23rd of November in 2016, we could be on the seventh day of the upcoming cold spell. Incidentally, before then, the uninitiated might be wondering what all the fuss is about? With the next couple of days seeing Maximum Temperatures nudging the low 60s Fahrenheit in parts and the odd night with minimums no lower than the mid-50s. After that, forget the warmth for a wee while.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted

Lots of blocking in the ENS by day 10, looking beyond day 8 for the outcome is probably not a wise move - the Op hasn't much support in FI but obviously that doesn't write it off.

some of the best FI charts I've seen for a long time though.

IMG_3512.PNG

IMG_3515.PNG

IMG_3516.PNG

IMG_3517.PNG

IMG_3518.PNG

IMG_3519.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6

Posted

I suppose the frustrating thing about the outputs so far is that you've got a PV that's not really interested in setting up in its normal position but yet the models aren't really doing anything to move towards a colder outlook.

The issue at the moment is that low which drops down lands in precisely the area we don't want and then spends days filling. You either want this low much further east or west.

As it stands where it ends up means it will be like watching paint dry before we can move to something more profitable in terms of cold.

• Like 7