Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted

So the first cold/snow outbreak for some this weekend-The highlands/N.Y Moors may get a surprise when they open the curtains over the weekend. Longer term the ECM 12z shows a cold WNW flow next Wednesday developing. Then by friday HP positions itself to the south allowing for a long not seen WSW milder flow. 

IMG_0815.PNG

IMG_0816.PNG

IMG_0817.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

So it's looking like a brief mild interlude up to mid month then blocked pattern returning and looking to being on the cold side.:D

IMG_0068.PNG

IMG_0069.PNG

Is that the CFS? Broad general agreement with GLOSEA5 then. A potentially very cold pattern showing there. I think back end of 12z GFS shows how the actual synoptics may look from what the anomaly charts are showing.

gfsnh-0-384.png?12

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Is that the CFS? Broad general agreement with GLOSEA5 then. A potentially very cold pattern showing there. I think back end of 12z GFS shows how the actual synoptics may look from what the anomaly charts are showing.

gfsnh-0-384.png?12Yes cfs looking very interesting has we move mid November mild interlude then looks like back to cold .GLOSEA5 is in a agreement 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nouska said:

I think that is more your or John's field when it comes to the geostrophic 'what entrance, what exit and the processes in between' physics. The diagram I posted was to show it is modelled to have tropical characteristics even though not immediately visible in the surface isobars.

Maybe the thetaE will show better what I mean.

gfs-6-78_enk8.png

Indeed, cheers. Actually looking in detail at this evenings ecm surface evolution (can't post the charts) it shows clearly the tropical low declining and being absorbed within the cold low before tracking north and also the fronts bringing some wet weather into the UK late Tuesday are an offshoot of all of this.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 12z shows an increasingly cold weekend coming up, and not just cold but also showery and some of those showers turning wintry and with night frosts .. hooray:drunk:

And the cold air persists on mon / tues especially further east and even beyond that it stays chilly until a brief change to milder on Friday which is quickly chased away SE by colder NWly winds which lasts through the end of next week..The mild intrusion is blink or miss it! 

Quite a disturbed end to the run with a nw / se aligned jet which would mean polar / arctic air at times :)

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

The ECM day 10 looks great to me, I thought there would have been more comments - wouldn't take much WAA into Greeny and Ladrador to become something even better , and it looks like it's trying!!

IMG_3432.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
15 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The ECM day 10 looks great to me, I thought there would have been more comments - wouldn't take much WAA into Greeny and Ladrador to become something even better , and it looks like it's trying!!

IMG_3432.PNG

It is more in line with what I would expect through the mid term into FI than GFS with more trough disruption and energy heading SE than the flat jet GFS modeled this afternoon but that doesn't mean it's right.

Regardless of those details both models are looking at having a deep trough move from SW Greenland into N Europe/Scandinavia toward mid month even though they go about it in slightly different ways.

If that does prove to be the case then we will have to wait and see how effective any attempts at pushing heights toward Greenland become.

Could be a rinse repeat to what we see now or something better (or something worse :closedeyes:)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

I wonder, if someone studied all historical cases of GFS and ECM modelling a Scandi High, how often it would turn out that GFS was wrong to blast it away but ECM was giving it too much ability to extend west toward the UK.

Seems to me that a Scandi High getting pushed into NW Asia a little and then hanging around waiting for a chance to get back west - while we in the U.K. Have to put up with Atlantic troughs becoming slow moving in our vicinity - might be a pretty safe bet when future standoffs arise.

• Like 4

ive seen worse D10 charts than that ECM effort.... still no real sign of the PV getting its act together or setting up shop in its usual place...  sorry can post chart as pc is playing up... but if you get to look at the chart above the PV is all over the place... totally different to last year and the year before... i think its going to be a very up and down few weeks while things come together... but i just got a feeling things will come good and we will all see some action...

Posted

Quite a big difference between the Ecm 00z / 12z @ T+240 hours:D

240_mslp500.png.e80493d3e5bdb96299deeb5b2d04f03b.png

240_mslp500.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

So westerlys push in next week but high pressure remains high over  Scandinavia is this a sign what's to come later on. Or sudden shift in the models sooner rather then later on in the month.:) :cold:

IMG_0070.JPG

• Like 4

Posted

Looking further ahead, there is plenty of cold possibilities from the GEFS 12z perturbations .:cold-emoji:..The control run ending is peachy:santa-emoji:

8_264_850tmp.png

9_264_850tmp.png

12_312_850tmp.png

0_384_850tmp.png

1_384_850tmp.png

2_384_850tmp.png

4_384_850tmp.png

8_384_850tmp.png

10_384_850tmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

The amplification of the high pushing up in the Atlantic is interesting at the moment. With this pattern we can quickly change from a Milder based flow to very cold in days. Overall the colder scenario is gaining the upper hand. It will be interesting to see if this pattern continues. If so it greatly increases the chances of wintryness.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Considering the much talked about background signals and quiet excitement at the potential cold end to November/ Winter ahead, can anyone post a chart from the last 50/60 yrs from November that produced a country wide, low level snow event. The earlier the better.

Just a bit of Fun Mods hopefully you'll allow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Considering the much talked about background signals and quiet excitement at the potential cold end to November/ Winter ahead, can anyone post a chart from the last 50/60 yrs from November that produced a country wide, low level snow event. The earlier the better.

Just a bit of Fun Mods hopefully you'll allow. 

Depends what you call country wide, in its truest definition, I cant find many (if any) that produced one in winter either, if your giving some allowances and lowering the threashold just a tiny bit, then I could post one from not all that many years ago.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

ECM eps beginning to reflect the GEFS (and indeed GFS ops)  back end week 2 in developing a broad nw European trough. 

Please don't take this too literally but Nov 2009 was notable in the way that the modelling counted down v consistently. to have eps and GEFS on the same page at day 15 (and the GEFS op too) is a fair start. 

now I have lit the blue touchpaper, I'll step away and not return to it!  

Are broad NE Euro troughs good for the coldies among us? If it were to happen of course?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Are broad NE Euro troughs good for the coldies among us? If it were to happen of course?

A trough anywhere from France - Belgium - North sea is a good thing.

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

There's a beautiful example of a retrogressive European trough from December 2010. Have a look at the archives and you can feel the cold by the sheer power of them charts. 

• Like 6

Posted

Not commented on the models for a while, but have been looking at them. The usual GFS vs ECM game has come into existence once again, the former ever the more progressive with regard to the power of the atlantic, the latter banging the drum of the european ridge, but as is often the case, time and time again we end up with something in the middle - remember this observation when you start looking beyond the 120 hr timeframe for how things may develop.

Alas back to the here and now, a shortlived cold spell for the time of year, with temps significantly below the early Nov average, before we see the ridge to our NE being deflected away from exerting strong influence by a resurgent jetstream and frontal activity from the NW pulling in what does appear to be a very shortlived milder more typical westerly interlude, indeed a blink and miss it affair, as we see the jet tilt quickly back onto a NW-SE axis, with those heights to our NE never far away. All eyes on energy over NE USA seaboard, signs of further warm air advection up the west side of Greenland which consequently will produce the downstream ridge and leave us exposed to a further perhaps more potent sustained polar attack, and this time with a dense pool or cold air sat to our NE, which could result in an undercutting low scenario, indeed we were not far off such an event this weekend, these sets up often take one or two bites before delivering on third attempt...

• Like 9

Posted

Slight westward correction again on the pub run, keeps us in colder air till Atleast Thurs - flow looks slightly more NW too. 

IMG_3433.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
3 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

All the signs are pointing towards a potentially very cold last third of November.

why are they? its only 36 hours since folk were touting a white xmas and epic snow on a ecm run in november? look know further than 7 days  it saves a lot of grief!!!

• Like 1