Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Snow lying at the top station , 1950m asl. Should see a good covering on the Weiderbergenhorn Peak tomorrow morning. Will take a ride up to get my fix tomorrow ! Meanwhile , damp , cold and miserable this evening in the village. Fire lit. Funny enough this exact time last week was having a BQ and sat outside having a cold few beers.

C

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, carinthian said:

Snow lying at the top station , 1950m asl. Should see a good covering on the Weiderbergenhorn Peak tomorrow morning. Will take a ride up to get my fix tomorrow ! Meanwhile , damp , cold and miserable this evening in the village. Fire lit. Funny enough this exact time last week was having a BQ and sat outside having a cold few beers.

C

3rd day of cold, cloud and rainy conditions. Too much low cloud for a visit to the summit but webcam cam shows several cm of wet lying snow at 1900m alsl. Many peaks in the area have 20cm of new snow cover at 2500m and the glaciers have a welcome top up of deep snowfall over the past few days. Hope it stays now at 3000m plus, but plenty of weeks left for the warmth to take hold again .

C

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, carinthian said:

3rd day of cold, cloud and rainy conditions. Too much low cloud for a visit to the summit but webcam cam shows several cm of wet lying snow at 1900m alsl. Many peaks in the area have 20cm of new snow cover at 2500m and the glaciers have a welcome top up of deep snowfall over the past few days. Hope it stays now at 3000m plus, but plenty of weeks left for the warmth to take hold again .

C

Sunday morning snowfall at 2130m. This picture above the resort of Gargellen close to the Swiss border.Gargellen is one of my favourite ski resorts. Hope to make a visit during the season.

C

berg.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Eventually got the gondola to top station. General snow cover, wet type, temp 1.5c at 1950m. The summit still shrouded in thick mist but snow has stopped. Would guess freezing level around 2100m. Seems a thick cover at that level but top not visible as yet. Would be a bit dangerous to walk to the top on the path and with poor visibility. Some are doing that !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Posted

Nice shot this morning over the Inn Valley. The weekend murk and precipitation now cleared. Precise snowline at about 2000m. Should rise to about 2500m later today where the snowfall has been widely measured at 20cm fresh snow. Nice to see the mountain tops covered though in early September .

C

99.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

The Great Blizzard of Oz. The best late ski season for at least 25 years down under. Over one metre of fresh powder dumped. Some Aussie resorts now to stay open until October. Same for New Zealand resorts also having a great late snow season in the mountains.

C

falls-creek-perisher-mt-buller-and-thredbo-all-rejoicing-at-blizzard-of-oz-3-0-12-1504866618.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Just checked the Edlewisse cam and another lot of snow up there.

It doesn't last long but should do wonders for the glaciers.

One side note its amazing how many tourists visit there in the summer, loads on bikes.

I suppose it must be one of the  highest places in the Alps to easily drive to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

The tensions on the Korean peninsula are affecting ticket sales for the upcoming winter Olympics. A pity, because I suspect the Koreans will host the Olympics very well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/12/nuclear-tensions-cast-chill-over-south-koreas-winter-olympic-build-up 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Great to see Iain Cameron's excitement about the first snow of the season on Ben Nevis today!

• Like 4

Posted
On 9/12/2017 at 08:46, seaside 60 said:

Just checked the Edlewisse cam and another lot of snow up there.

It doesn't last long but should do wonders for the glaciers.

One side note its amazing how many tourists visit there in the summer, loads on bikes.

I suppose it must be one of the  highest places in the Alps to easily drive to.

Edelweiss has now mostly melted, although the snowman from several days ago still remains as a pile of snow. Lauberhorn has just had a light snowfall leaving a thin covering after a sunny day yesterday and foggy this morning. Nice to see the first signs:) I too am always amazed at how many motorbikes are parked at the top of Edelweiss; I wonder if there are some hairy bends en route. 

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted
36 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Edelweiss has now mostly melted, although the snowman from several days ago still remains as a pile of snow. Lauberhorn has just had a light snowfall leaving a thin covering after a sunny day yesterday and foggy this morning. Nice to see the first signs:) I too am always amazed at how many motorbikes are parked at the top of Edelweiss; I wonder if there are some hairy bends en route. 

Edit to the above - well I never, Les Arcs at Arc 2000 has wet snow falling and covering everything, in fact it's falling quite heavily; 1800 and 1600 both have it as rain. 

Arc 2000: https://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-arc2000.html#ong333

Lauberhorn: https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

I dont know about hairy bends but as sure as hell there would be some hairy dudes lol.

Posted

Snow falling in Andorra this morning.

C

21731377_507618799588881_2801060703398531508_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Wow quite impressive even if it wont last.

Snow across many resorts in the Alps.
Katschberg even down to resort level and the Edlewisse web cam shows a total white out, it must have snowed every day for a week or so always melting during the day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

We've discussed the decline in visitors to French ski resorts before, but now it seems they have officially fallen behind Austria in numbers of visitors. This report appeared in Le Dauphine newspaper on the 20th Sept:

"It is official...... in 2016-2017, France lost its European leader of skiing to the benefit of Austria, with the United States retaining their status as number 1. For the fourth consecutive winter, French Ski Area (DFS), which unites the French operators, recorded a decline in frequentation on the slopes (this time by) -1.5%".

It was interesting to note that the French acknowledge that cheaper prices in Austria was a factor in them losing their ranking:

"the reception of the clientele with an overall price of the stay cheaper".

But the French are planning a fight-back:

"It is up to us to regain this European leadership," comments the DSF leader who will be meeting on 5 and 6 October in Beaune (Côte d'Or). This congress promises a record participation with 700 participants (+ 20%).

Full report in French: http://www.ledauphine.com/economie-et-finance/2017/09/19/l-autriche-double-la-france-sur-les-pistes

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Its October now and that means serious time for looking at webcams for snow even though September has been impressive.

You know winter is coming when the ski resort web cams come back online and work, when you look at them there are snow cannons lying everywhere ready to get taken up the mountains where they have portable ones.

• Like 2

Posted

My son who lives out in Vancouver has had good reports about Big White Ski Resort and plans a visit with his children during the coming season. A small friendly resort located in the southern interior of British Columbia is a paradise for powder snow lovers at a base height of 5000 feet plus to top runs over 7000feet. Also very cheap by Canadian standards, he tells me his booking including lift pass is half that of Whistler but needs the flight to Kelowna. Will be interesting with his report back, his partner a snowboarder and him a skier. First time for his kids !

C

IPBG-Mountain-Safety.jpg

• Like 2