Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted

Great reading all these plans and photos, thank you all. I 'hope' to do my usual in mid Jan after the Lauberhorn for maybe 6-7 days gentle skiing. Not bad at 78 if I manage it!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Great reading all these plans and photos, thank you all. I 'hope' to do my usual in mid Jan after the Lauberhorn for maybe 6-7 days gentle skiing. Not bad at 78 if I manage it!

Gracious me John - that is inspirational!! I really hope you'll be skiing for many years to come.

Many of us on this forum thoroughly enjoy your annual reports from Wengen and the insight you bring to the organisation and preparation for the Lauberhorn downhill - long may it continue!
Best wishes to you.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

You must be a pretty healthy chap John, Keep going as long as you can.. that's what I say.

• Like 3

Posted

thank you PM and BW for those kind comments. Even when I have to pack up skiing I still hope to go to walk and take in the glorious scenery. Maybe I can get someone to take me round on one of the 'blood waggons' for injured skiers when I finish skiing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:09, carinthian said:

You may notice a little known village of Rauris listed in my top 10 Euro . Its a real gem and ranks as one of the most scenic resorts in the Alps. Located in the Pinzgau Region of Salzburg in the Hohe Tauern National Park and over looked by the massive Gross Glockner Mountain Range. Its only a little resort but the scenery is one of the best you can get as you glide down mostly easy ride lovely open and tree lined pistes .. The mountain restaurants offer stunning views and great ski fodder. This is on my list to visit for next seasons ski tour. A couple pictures attached : Village located in the Valley of the Golden Eagle with Gross Glockner in the back ground and other view of the very quiet pistes for the most part.

100057.jpg

28a5a3a81a.jpg

This is another hidden gem of a ski resort in my top 10 list is Gargellen in the Montafon region of Western Austria. The resort nestles at the end of a high valley in a wonderful location at 1500m and over looked by the mighty Madrisa Mountain. Generally quiet with nice runs in deep powder to the hotel doorstep. This resort produces some impressive snowfalls during the season and usually holds on to it. First stayed here in 1979 and have been back here on several occasions. The stunning Hotel Madrisa is a true skiers hotel , located right at the end of the mountain runs. When the weather is fine you can with a guide ski over to Switzerland to the resort of Klosters.  Picture of village shown below covered in its usual deep snow.

2c3e1f11a7a1200fe49d7f04f71635cf.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
18 hours ago, johnholmes said:

thank you PM and BW for those kind comments. Even when I have to pack up skiing I still hope to go to walk and take in the glorious scenery. Maybe I can get someone to take me round on one of the 'blood waggons' for injured skiers when I finish skiing!

Just for you John !

th.jpg

skier.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks Paul, I'll have to get that sweat shirt, what is the web site do you know?

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Thanks Paul, I'll have to get that sweat shirt, what is the web site do you know?

Hi John, check out this site wwwzazzle.co.uk, they have the T Shirt to order online and currently you can enter discount code 24OFFTSHIIRTS , which gives you 24% off list price.

I bought mine from here ! 

Cheers

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
47 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hi John, check out this site wwwzazzle.co.uk, they have the T Shirt to order online and currently you can enter discount code 24OFFTSHIIRTS , which gives you 24% off list price.

I bought mine from here ! 

Cheers

Paul

I have found the site but not the t shirt have you got the direct page link that the t shirt is on please.

Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

I have found the site but not the t shirt have you got the direct page link that the t shirt is on please.

Hi Seasider, I think just follow the link JH has sent and it will give options to purchase online, I think most are around £20/euro. That's what I think my wife paid for a Chrissy present !

• Like 1

On 17/05/2017 at 14:15, Blessed Weather said:

Gracious me John - that is inspirational!! I really hope you'll be skiing for many years to come.

Many of us on this forum thoroughly enjoy your annual reports from Wengen and the insight you bring to the organisation and preparation for the Lauberhorn downhill - long may it continue!
Best wishes to you.

Totally agree with this.

• Like 2

Posted
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:54, carinthian said:

Dubmuffin, Serfaus/ Fiss is not really well known to Brits and not listed by UK operators. Can be expensive taxis transfer from Innsbruck to the outer reaches of the high Tirol but well worth it when you get there . At around 1500m the villages is snow assured  and top runs up to near 2500m offering some wonderful long runs back for intermediate skiers especially. Nice village as well with some good eateries and bars. Obertauren is offered by Crystal and Inghams but can be expensive to stay in these hotels. The resort is snow sure from Nov to May at 1850m absl and the ski-ing is door to door in a 360 circuit skied clockwise or anti clockwise ( you come back to where you started ) If you can make a self made holiday the Hotel Schneider and Hotel Alpin Austria are great ski in/out locations and both can be booked on line and will arrange taxis transfer from Salzburg at a competitive cost. Obertauren is a bit of a party resort with the usual singing, dancing in mostly  smoke filled bars but great fun . Although a purpose built village , really looks like true Austrian ambience atmosphere. I like both resorts for different reasons but both true ski resorts with snow assurance. I have arranged a week in each of the following for next season, Corvara, Kronplatz, Rauris and finally Obertauren with a visit to my old stomping ground in Katschberg for a day. Serfaus and Gargellen on are on the agenda for the following season unless I win tonights Euro Lottery.  Good luck with your choice .

C

Just a bit of extra info on Serfaus. The pistes here are groomed to perfection, probably some of the best prepared in the world. Machines operate all night and there are plenty of them. The runs tend to be fast and long combine between Red and blue. A real skiers delight but for the younger legs ! If Serfaus was offered by the main UK tours operators it would soon become very popular for keen skiers. A top resort in a hidden corner of Ausria.

C

C

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Anyone fancy chipping in with me to buy our very own ski resort? The small French resort of Les Gentianes in the Jura Mountains has been put up for sale.

On a more serious note, it's actually rather sad news and I hope someone buys it and keeps it open.

59403028c5f34_Juraresortforsale.thumb.jpg.779a3d91e9abd7efce282493e037bd09.jpg66e1ab2c47f331dcd80b44262737273c.thumb.jpg.e72f1686c1ca1548d86e7c0d66049cf9.jpg

The resort of Les Gentianes, located in the town of Morbier, has been on sale on the site of the ski areas of France.
For sale: small ski resort of the Jura, with two drag lifts, three ski lifts, a snow yard, a rental shop, a restaurant with terrace, a piste groomer, a tractor, 19 snow cannons ... All for the sum of 500,000 euros.
http://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2017/06/13/dans-le-jura-une-petite-station-de-ski-est-a-vendre

The resort website is still running and reveals there are two green pistes, one blue and one red. For ski lessons, the ESF has about fifteen instructors available. The resort includes 200 parking spaces.
http://www.station-lesgentianes.com/station-de-ski-jura.htm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

Even in July it snows in the mountains.

Some transient snow at the top of the Edelweiss and below freezing temps just... 

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

For anyone planning a ski trip this coming 2017-18 season you might be interested to read an informative blog from Igluski giving a round-up of some of the new lifts and pistes around a number of resorts in the Alps. Here's a quick summary:

Samoens, France - a new 6-person chair which will be the longest in Europe, plus a new ski area and 2 new pistes.
Val Thorens, France - a new 10-seater gondola with heated seats.
La Plagne, France - the old Crozats chair replaced by a new 6-person chair.
Courchevel, France - the old Ariondaz gondola replaced with a new 8-person gondola.
Les Arcs, France - the old Pre Saint Esprit chairlift in Arc 1950 replaced with a new high-speed 6-person chair with heated seats.
Kitzbuhel, Austria - the old 'C7' chair replaced with a high-speed heated chair. The resort now has 11 chairlifts with heated seats!
Zell am See, Austria - the old Areitbahn 1 replaced with a 10 seater gondola with heated seats and wi-fi.

Full blog: http://www.igluski.com/blog/post/2017/08/03/new-ski-lifts-for-2017-2018-season?utm_medium=email&utm_source=igluski&utm_campaign=ski_bul_weekend_04-08-17

• Like 2

Posted

Off to my ski haunt for my summer walking tomorrow. I may well get snow not far above the village looking at the model outputs. Never seen snow in the village, the lowest I have seen it, so far, is patchy new snow around 7500-8000 ft. Not summery at all for the next few days, so winter type tops etc!

• Like 5

Posted

Gently wake up Julians thread . Great Web cam shot this morning from Hotel Eiger- Muerren. Looks rather dramatic, would not like to drop off the edge of that .

C

55.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Australia is having one of it's snowiest August's in history, not one of the places on earth that springs to mind when you're thinking snow and cold :D

This is a recent video from Perisher

• Like 5

Posted
On 8/12/2017 at 09:50, carinthian said:

Gently wake up Julians thread . Great Web cam shot this morning from Hotel Eiger- Muerren. Looks rather dramatic, would not like to drop off the edge of that .

C

55.jpg

Yes whenever I go there I wonder about anyone staying there who sleep walks!

Got snow down to about 6,000 ft in the area while there a week ago, maybe 2-3 cm but it went fairly quickly. It is the lowest I have seen it settle to at this time of year. The weather ended up very warm with storms in the mountains on one night-always spectacular.

Love that video Paul; I have enough trouble trying to stay on 2 planks let alone one!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Ist September and Autumn arrives on the Stubai Glacier with a blizzard this morning.

C

21231009_1412175068835875_8608891286300363263_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Webcams showing heavy snow settling above 2200 m in the Western Tirol. This one above Ischgl ski resort.

C

97.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

It has been a very wide range of temps in the Alps this year.

Up to 30c in the valleys and the week after most mountain tops down to 2000 m ish having transient snow.

I know thats the alps but do you think it has been more variable than normal.

Posted
12 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

It has been a very wide range of temps in the Alps this year.

Up to 30c in the valleys and the week after most mountain tops down to 2000 m ish having transient snow.

I know thats the alps but do you think it has been more variable than normal.

Its been a great summer generally, especially hot in the Southern Alps . Parts of Alpine Italy receiving some fierce heat for a time in early August. Eastern Alpine regions not the prolonged heat as previous two summers but still the curve shows increasing summer heat. Really, not usual to see short spells of cold wet weather that produce snowfall above 2000m at anytime of the year in these parts. By the look of it seems the glaciers have taken a hit again this summer. Worse thing for them is to be followed up by a warm dry Autumn . This has been the case for a number of years now. However, only last January we had record cold month in Austria !

C

• Like 2