Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A great day's skiing! The resort piste teams did a wonderful job getting the majority of runs into great shape for today. One of my friends got up at 3.30 a.m and said the piste bashers were hard at work.

In an earlier post I described an avalanche that had taken out one of the key six-man chairs up the mountain. Well that area of the mountain was still closed today, but from another piste that looked over to the effected area it was some sight. A massive avalanche had completely covered about 400 metres of a red run, spilled over and blocked a blue run, and had piled up to the roof of the top of the chair lift. Thank goodness that happened when the runs were closed.

So in summary, fantastic on-piste skiing and some lovely powder to play around in off-piste (but I hasten to add we didn't do much off-piste and were very cautious!). A few pics - the closed off area of the mountain; coming down one of the blacks between the trees; playing around on a safe bit of off-piste.

58c07f6f22a56_ValCenisSolertRedWed08Mar.thumb.jpg.5afd0d2166cc9c74bb60878d38679bb0.jpg58c07f8615f54_ValCenisMichelJacobBlackWed08Mar.thumb.jpg.87eb716a83a3271b9935a0d5d153a63d.jpg58c07fc262b09_ValCenisTombaRedWed08Mar.thumb.jpg.a5c1319652b5b3a3ea8f86358c3ab1ca.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

The snow has moved into the Austrian resorts now, with what looks like a med snowfall esp at Katchsberg.
One thing though the warmer temps luckily enough dont look to have spread this far east at the moment, the forecasts showing quite cold temps.

Posted

One last post from me for this trip as tomorrow is our last day. It's been a sunny, warm day with temps hitting 11C in the village and freezing level at 2,800m. Still good skiing on-piste although lumping up by the afternoon the lower down the mountain you went; but the high temps rapidly spoiling any remaining untracked off-piste. The very lowest pistes (down at 1,450m) were very soft and slushy when we skied back down this afternoon. But a thoroughly enjoyable week with some great skiing and some memorable weather. :)

Above the tree line on the higher pistes: 58c18c4e7589b_ValCenisbowlThur09Mar.thumb.jpg.cbc55623cce09c5a9ccaae13615b7790.jpg58c18c5c2d0ee_ValCenisMontCenisThur09Mar.thumb.jpg.ebb019ece4a8bdc01f1077a60ed3effb.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Some snow for the Alps this coming Saturday 18th March as a cold front arrives from the NW. The Netweather Alps charts showing it turning heavy later in the day for Austria in particular. But not for the first time this winter altitude is the issue, with freezing level up around 1,800m earlier in the day for northern Alps resorts, but rising generally to 2,000m + during the day. Eastern Austrian resorts holding on to the lower temps the longest.

Cold Front arrives 58ca4e9daf0fa_FaxChartSat18Mar.thumb.jpg.d157d1906a937be970093c2d66060379.jpg Accumulation to midnight Sat 58ca4eca3ce58_ArpegeSnowAccumSun19Mar00_00.thumb.png.f5744caeccfb17d36408043397e880af.png

Some heavy precip 58ca4ee106cb8_AlpsPrecipSat18Mar21_00.thumb.png.3eb8a8dc9353e3dda444c898c283bae8.png But freezing level high 58ca4ee958008_AlpsFreezingLevelSat18Mar21_00.thumb.png.52520e6eda1ed47594fdc7b733f92068.png

• Like 1

Posted

Well the precipitation has arrived in the Alps, but the limited pink on the radar suggests it's probably only falling as snow once it reaches the highest peaks of the central mountains. Certainly the webcam grab from Hochgurgl, Austria, at 2,165m showing it raining. A disappointingly high freezing level.

Radar 11.15 58cd1d9900bbb_RadarEuropeSat18Mar11_15.thumb.jpg.6f1bee8b31be6c1444992a3cae4963a3.jpg Hochgurgl 'Top Mountain Crosspoint' 58cd1db2cb2f7_HochgurglWebcamSat18Mar12.29Local.thumb.jpg.1e3f39ced978dac24effaf1cbbd1b48f.jpg

Posted
12 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well the precipitation has arrived in the Alps, but the limited pink on the radar suggests it's probably only falling as snow once it reaches the highest peaks of the central mountains. Certainly the webcam grab from Hochgurgl, Austria, at 2,165m showing it raining. A disappointingly high freezing level.

Radar 11.15 58cd1d9900bbb_RadarEuropeSat18Mar11_15.thumb.jpg.6f1bee8b31be6c1444992a3cae4963a3.jpg Hochgurgl 'Top Mountain Crosspoint' 58cd1db2cb2f7_HochgurglWebcamSat18Mar12.29Local.thumb.jpg.1e3f39ced978dac24effaf1cbbd1b48f.jpg

Looks high all week at around 2000m esp in Austria.

Beginning to look very wet at Katchsberg, pistes are turning slushy for the first time over recent weeks.
Starting to think its not looking as good as I hoped from the 25th.
Keep seeing this lovely high bringing winds from a more northerly direction for the alps in 7 days ish but not showing temps wise.

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Looks high all week at around 2000m esp in Austria.

Beginning to look very wet at Katchsberg, pistes are turning slushy for the first time over recent weeks.
Starting to think its not looking as good as I hoped from the 25th.
Keep seeing this lovely high bringing winds from a more northerly direction for the alps in 7 days ish but not showing temps wise.

Fingers crossed for your trip seaside. I guess you're like me (and many others) - anxiously looking at model output to see what weather they are suggesting for your trip. At the moment both GFS and ECM are showing high pressure around southern Scandinavia next weekend - not quite in the right place or with the right orientation to get some cold air back into eastern Austria. But with a week to go, certainly time for that set-up to change for the better.

With the emphasis on the positive, the Austrian weather service wetter.at is at least showing 4 or 5 nights over the coming week where temps will get down to freezing level, which is good news as the piste teams will be able to knock the pistes back into shape and refreezing will occur. They also report that Katschberg has 50 cms on lower pistes and 70 cms at the top - that's not a bad position to be in.

58cd3f2e8023e_KatschbergForecast18Mar.thumb.jpg.7fba5f02948af642f3a16bdfdeb41a66.jpg58cd3f40de90e_KatschbergPisteConditions.thumb.jpg.2f9f5c80f937ee21ba9f6a2f84ea4a96.jpg

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/katschberg-aineck/prognose/9-tage

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Fingers crossed for your trip seaside. I guess you're like me (and many others) - anxiously looking at model output to see what weather they are suggesting for your trip. At the moment both GFS and ECM are showing high pressure around southern Scandinavia next weekend - not quite in the right place or with the right orientation to get some cold air back into eastern Austria. But with a week to go, certainly time for that set-up to change for the better.

With the emphasis on the positive, the Austrian weather service wetter.at is at least showing 4 or 5 nights over the coming week where temps will get down to freezing level, which is good news as the piste teams will be able to knock the pistes back into shape and refreezing will occur. They also report that Katschberg has 50 cms on lower pistes and 70 cms at the top - that's not a bad position to be in.

58cd3f2e8023e_KatschbergForecast18Mar.thumb.jpg.7fba5f02948af642f3a16bdfdeb41a66.jpg58cd3f40de90e_KatschbergPisteConditions.thumb.jpg.2f9f5c80f937ee21ba9f6a2f84ea4a96.jpg

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/katschberg-aineck/prognose/9-tage

The snow depth report is quite funny really.

Its been that for around 6 weeks, regardless of snow or no snow lol...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Evening all, just thought I'd post a quick update. It's our last night in Courchevel 1650 and we have had an amazing week. It has felt hotter than some of my summer holidays! The skiing has been challenging at times with a lot of moguled slopes and yesterday's trip to Meribel was particularly unpleasant low down. Today I was hoping for snow, but it was more like rain until about 2000m. Lunched in the snow and skied back down again with poor visibility. We left the slopes early today, as lower down the snow got pretty slushy.  I'm not sure how the snow is going to last into next week and beyond without a more positive forecast, but there is still time before Easter and our late April Val Thorens trip.

Our three beginners had lessons with New Gen and excelled, it's been lovely to see their progress and enjoyment, with one of them beating me down confidently on reds by the end of the week! I put that down to the 25 year age advantage!

• Like 2

Posted

Having looked at the forcast for Austria and Katschberg more studiously over recent last few weeks.

I am totally amazed at the variations, if one thought the forecasts were variable for the UK,  look at the Alps.

At 2000m we go from 6c and full sun to rainy snow to 0c and snow to several days of no snow and all sun and this changes on every GFS run

Planning on what the weather is going to be like is impossible.
All I know is the white snakes running down the mountains side are getting more pronounced ans spring greens are taking over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Hi all, in going Mayahofen a wk on Sunday for 1 wk boarding, going to a music festival called snow bombing, I went last year and believe me when I say it's mental! 

Looking like a cool down next wk and hoping for some snow in time for when we arrive on 2nd April,  does anyone know where I can get a reliable forecast? 

Can't seem to find the forum in here we had last year dedicated to the alps? Gutted because it was invaluable!

Posted
50 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Hi all, in going Mayahofen a wk on Sunday for 1 wk boarding, going to a music festival called snow bombing, I went last year and believe me when I say it's mental! 

Looking like a cool down next wk and hoping for some snow in time for when we arrive on 2nd April,  does anyone know where I can get a reliable forecast? 

Can't seem to find the forum in here we had last year dedicated to the alps? Gutted because it was invaluable!

This is it but its renamed.
You still have weather around the world "All things Austria" but very little posted in there over winter.

Posted
On 21/03/2017 at 08:40, seaside 60 said:

Having looked at the forcast for Austria and Katschberg more studiously over recent last few weeks.

I am totally amazed at the variations, if one thought the forecasts were variable for the UK,  look at the Alps.

At 2000m we go from 6c and full sun to rainy snow to 0c and snow to several days of no snow and all sun and this changes on every GFS run

Planning on what the weather is going to be like is impossible.
All I know is the white snakes running down the mountains side are getting more pronounced ans spring greens are taking over.

The forecasts are starting to firm up now seaside. Looking at GFS output it looks like you might see some overnight snow, Sunday into Monday morning. And with freezing level gradually falling to around 1,100m overnight, fingers crossed it might even have settled in the village by morning. Then some light snow around for Mon & Tues - although freezing level creeps back up the mountain to around 1,400m. Then drying out and hopefully some sunshine for your last couple of days. Whatever the weather chucks at you, have a great time!! :)

GFS charts Mon 27th 58d2df204dee0_GFS850forMon27Mar.thumb.png.0cf0df5e90797dfb6629608efb26e773.png58d2df2b5e2e4_AlpsPrecipMon27Mar.thumb.png.4f9118ac3315b96128ce4873c40d2803.png58d2df306835b_AlpsFreezinglevelMon27Mar.thumb.png.0d4a7c88be3e19dca2faf5c0030dd97c.png

The forecast by wetter.at (I think ECM based) is very much along the same lines.

58d2df3a535a1_KatschbergForecast22Mar.thumb.jpg.beca47f8932eb1a3f01849cb8487638d.jpg

4 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Hi SSIB. I can remember you going last year. It sounds and looks great fun! :drunk:

The main Met Office for Austria (ZAMG) has got a useless website for getting anything other than a 3 day forecast, and even then it's not at resort detail but regional, i.e. Tyrol. So I use wetter.at but this only goes out 9 days, so nothing in range yet for your trip. (And let's hope today's GFS output is way off the mark for your arrival - mild and wet!!).

The 2nd pic is last year. You must be in it!! 58d2e2208ee79_MayrhofenSnowbombing1.thumb.jpg.4d3eb37b2fb7ee89cfa009244aea52b9.jpg58d2e2275dcf5_MayrhofenSnowbombing2.thumb.jpg.fc3ec1443a8072d2ea6db1cc1cba6cfd.jpg

wetter.at link: http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/mayrhofen-zillertal/prognose/9-tage

Posted
30 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

The forecasts are starting to firm up now seaside. Looking at GFS output it looks like you might see some overnight snow, Sunday into Monday morning. And with freezing level gradually falling to around 1,100m overnight, fingers crossed it might even have settled in the village by morning. Then some light snow around for Mon & Tues - although freezing level creeps back up the mountain to around 1,400m. Then drying out and hopefully some sunshine for your last couple of days. Whatever the weather chucks at you, have a great time!! :)

GFS charts Mon 27th 58d2df204dee0_GFS850forMon27Mar.thumb.png.0cf0df5e90797dfb6629608efb26e773.png58d2df2b5e2e4_AlpsPrecipMon27Mar.thumb.png.4f9118ac3315b96128ce4873c40d2803.png58d2df306835b_AlpsFreezinglevelMon27Mar.thumb.png.0d4a7c88be3e19dca2faf5c0030dd97c.png

Thanks Malcolm,

we intend to have a great time, nice hotel and first time away for 8 years.

One thing I am sure about is the freezing level is going to be much lower than the past 2/3 weeks.
Just need that top up of fresh snow this weekend to cover all that poor snow.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, J10 said:

Latest Ski Blog now out and some good weather, just not ideal for snow and more especially snow retention.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=8056;sess=

Thanks Julian. Yes, great for coffee stops and lunches sat on a restaurant terrace in the sun, but a little worrying for those planning to head off for an Easter trip (still 3 weeks away) with no sign of any real cold making a return.

I'm really disappointed that the light fall of snow forecast for Katschberg, Austria, on Sunday/Monday next week has now slipped away as the UK centred high balloons in an unhelpful SE'ly direction, pushing the coldest air away from the Alps and squeezing out any precipitation. With @seaside 60 and his family going on their first trip for eight years it would have been great for them to see some snow. But as you suggest, at least with overnight temps below freezing pistes can be groomed and ready to offer some enjoyable skiing in the morning before the slush sets in for the afternoon.

Yep, we've reached the time of year when you need to get up early, get out there on the first lift - then enjoying a late, long lunch in the sun and calling it a day. There's worse ways to spend your day!! 

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, J10 said:

An article based on the effects of the Foehn wind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39385392

thanks blessed

it's warm here and slushy and there is hardly anyone here.it's saved by one top hotel with superb food and hot outdoor pool with jacusy type fittings.

just the job. but skiing won't be top of the list I am gutted.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

thanks blessed

it's warm here and slushy and there is hardly anyone here.it's saved by one top hotel with superb food and hot outdoor pool with jacusy type fittings.

I'm feeling for you seaside - what a shame the snow conditions are so poor. The hotel sounds fantastic and with the sun shining I hope you still manage to have a very enjoyable family holiday.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

thanks blessed

Skiing really is a frustrating addiction to have. You wait with anticipation all year in the hope for a good week when in reality there is always a significant risk of there being too little snow, too much snow, too slushy, too windy, too busy.... the list is endless. We got lucky with our choice of Serre Chevalier this year at the New Year as it had decent, if a bit 'old', snow when much of the Alps were bare. St.Anton the year before was marginal and mostly artificial, and La Plagne the year before that was saved by a big dump the day we arrived which meant us getting to the hotel nearly 24hrs late. You have to wonder why we bother.

Not easy for us though as we either have to go early or late season as the wife is a teacher. Then again, her wage is one of the main reasons we can afford to do it so no complaining. We do usually try to choose somewhere with options though if we can't ski. After a poor experience with Crystal Ski this year we're buying a Motorhome so next season we aim to drive to the Alps. Hopefully means we'll also be able to choose to go where there's snow, and if there isn't snow we'll just do something else. It's supposed to take the stress out of the process, but I suspect it'll just replace one set of stresses with another. :)

Oh, and this is the first season I haven't had at least one or two days skiing in Scotland for years. I've kept the skis & boots handy in hope, but I think it's time I admitted defeat and put them back in the attic. It's been a poor year all round.

• Like 4

Posted

well it was so hot yesterday.

in shorts every pm after skiing.

real spring snow turning to slush water. had couple good hard frosts which made skiing ok in mornings. this hotel though is amazing. the food well I am just gobsmacked. so skiing am by hot pool in pm lovely and sunny so not to dad however I have never been to a report where this is so few people you almost has to spot the skier on the slopes sometimes.

• Like 5

Posted

Here in Whistler it's pretty much not stopped snowing for 3 days (rain/sleet/snow at the base). Conditions are great, powder from mid mountain up, wetter snow a bit lower and spring snow lower still. 

Looks like some sunshine tomorrow which'll be nice as being able to see does help at times! 

A few photos from the last few days.

IMG_20170328_114523.jpg IMG_20170328_114510.jpg IMG_20170329_145329.jpg

IMG_20170329_113431.jpg

And just for info, Greenland isn't green :D

IMG_20170325_180614.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

well it was so hot yesterday.

in shorts every pm after skiing.

real spring snow turning to slush water. had couple good hard frosts which made skiing ok in mornings. this hotel though is amazing. the food well I am just gobsmacked. so skiing am by hot pool in pm lovely and sunny so not to dad however I have never been to a report where this is so few people you almost has to spot the skier on the slopes sometimes.

Well any compensation Seasider its miserable ,drizzly and mild up here in Skipton . The Cristallo Hotel is a holiday in its self! Sorry you have picked a early end to the season but many resorts worse off than Katschberg. Its the look of the draw sometimes picking the right week for skiing,almost anywhere. Enyjoy the sunshine and your last few days!When the snow is deep crisp and even its a great spot for skiing from door step to slope and back again. Glad you made the effort.

• Like 3