Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The beautiful town of Kitzbuhel home of the 77th running of the famous Hahnenkamn downhill race this Saturday. Will give it a miss this year, a bit too many folk now and it going to be very cold. Should get a full run tomorrow after the weather shortened the race the previous couple of years. All of Austria comes to a stand still for this race, so will be watching in the pub at lunchtime. First saw this race live in 1976, was a bit of a party town then but now its just swells by many thousands of visitors this week and the grandstands will be packed. Great race to watch on TV over there in the UK.

C

resort-medialounge_3204915a-large.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Just wanted to let everyone know about a few additions to our ski forecasts and snow reports pages:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;sess=

You can now view the last 5 posts from this thread on them, and the latest winter sports related blogs (including Julian's excellent Alps updates) are accessible from them too. 

We've also added a specific Ski Scotland page, which at the moment isn't showing the best news as there's very little snow to be had, but hopefully that'll pick up and once it does, the hour-by-hour forecasts and local radar ought to be handy!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=scotland-ski;sess=

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in writing a guest blog about your favourite resort, conditions where you are or have just visited, a resort review or anything snow, mountain and winter sport related, please give me a shout. :D 

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Looking at the absolute devastation the avalanche caused, I'm surprised anyone survived but thankfully some have. Latest reports suggest up to eight people have now been rescued. It's difficult to comprehend the forces involved, but what's left of the hotel has moved 30 feet from it's original position.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The Pyrenees, Italian Alps and southern French Alps seeing some snowfall over the next couple of days as Low Pressure spirals around in the Mediterranean. Totals include 20+ cms at Isola 2000 (France), 30+ cms at Limone Piemonte (Italy) and 30+ cms at Grandvalira Pas de la Casa (Pyrenees).

SLP Sun 22nd 12.00 GFS SLP Sun22Jan 12.00.png Precipitation  GFS 6hr Precip Sun22Jan 12.00.png

Snowfall accumulation, Sat 21st to end Mon 23rd Arpege Snow Accum Sat21Jan to Tues24Jan 00.00.png

But did you spot where the most snow falls in this period? If you look towards the right of the accumulation chart you'll see the answer is Corsica. So if anyone fancies skiing a different destination to the usual suspects, grab a last-minute flight as Corsica is forecast to receive up to a metre of snow!! There are 3 ski resorts to choose from - Val d'Ese, Ghisoni and Haut Asco. The highest station is at 1,870m; there are 10kms of pistes served by 9 lifts, and even an ESF ski school with 3 instructors! Some photos of the Corse Mountains:

Corsica 1.jpgCorsica 2.jpgCorsica 3.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 5

Posted

Interesting picture taken yesterday evening with resort in night time mode.

C

15995207_2429260030434306_7520788176716383886_o.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Some amazing pictures this morning from our new sky cam over looking the resort and surrounding mountains.

C

75366_5881c4cc-f586Vid.mp4

• Like 2

Posted

Well back from a shorter than usaul spell in Wengen. Only skied 5 days and very gently, I suspect my skiing days are coming to a close. Not helped this year by very few of the main runs having even seen a piste basher.  I did see one, backing into its garage at 8000 ft and another one sitting at the side of the Lauberhorn just after it eits under the mountain railway. The reason they give is, not enough snow. Which contradicts their snow depths of 40-60 cm. Still clear blue skies on all nut 1 day and low temperatures meant the snow was quite good if somewhat tiring, to me anyway, for turning etc. I'll try and drop a couple of photos in when I get organised.

Re the race(s), they manage a shortened Combined, and the slalom but heavy snow and poor visibility on the Saturday caused the Downhill to be cancelled. Not sure why they did not switch days as it would have been possible to do a shortened Downhill with the Slalom run on the Saturday.

It was quite funny on the following Saturday/Sunday from Kitzbuhel, a stony silence in the restaurant at Kleinne Scheidegg met the Brit coming 2nd. About a dozen brits got some sour looks as we yelled for our man!

sorry I seem not to have any connections for my mobile into my pc nor indeed my IPad so no photos

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted

Guten tag from Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany. I'm here for a week's skiing with 6 friends and we've just enjoyed the first full day on the pistes.

An absolutely glorious day here. Started off at -6C when we first hit the slopes, but warmed up considerably as the day progressed, so that a couple of beers could be enjoyed sat outside one of the mountain restaurants in the sun this afternoon.

The town is currently buzzing as the cancelled Mens Downhill from Wengen was run here Friday. Then yesterday and today there were Womens and Mens Slalom racing. We tried to get into the finishing area and see the racing but there were so many people we gave up. Nevertheless it was great to enjoy the atmosphere and see so many supporters with faces painted in national colours and waving flags.

I'm a bit concerned about the rest of the week as it looks like rain here on Monday evening and all day Tuesday. :( There's always the Zugspitz Glacier - but who wants to be up there in heavy snow?

Anway, some pics from today. The view of the Zugspitz mountain from our apartment in town; the view down onto Garmisch from one of the runs on the 'Classic' ski area; looking down on the Slalom course finish area as we travelled over it in a ski lift; and finally some Swiss supporters in traditional clothing and faces painted. I'll try and post some more later in the week.

Garmisch Appt view.jpgGarmisch view.jpgGarmisch Slalom Course.jpgGarmisch Swiss Supporters.jpg

• Like 8

On 29/01/2017 at 16:27, Blessed Weather said:

Guten tag from Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany. I'm here for a week's skiing with 6 friends and we've just enjoyed the first full day on the pistes.

An absolutely glorious day here. Started off at -6C when we first hit the slopes, but warmed up considerably as the day progressed, so that a couple of beers could be enjoyed sat outside one of the mountain restaurants in the sun this afternoon.

The town is currently buzzing as the cancelled Mens Downhill from Wengen was run here Friday. Then yesterday and today there were Womens and Mens Slalom racing. We tried to get into the finishing area and see the racing but there were so many people we gave up. Nevertheless it was great to enjoy the atmosphere and see so many supporters with faces painted in national colours and waving flags.

I'm a bit concerned about the rest of the week as it looks like rain here on Monday evening and all day Tuesday. :( There's always the Zugspitz Glacier - but who wants to be up there in heavy snow?

Anway, some pics from today. The view of the Zugspitz mountain from our apartment in town; the view down onto Garmisch from one of the runs on the 'Classic' ski area; looking down on the Slalom course finish area as we travelled over it in a ski lift; and finally some Swiss supporters in traditional clothing and faces painted. I'll try and post some more later in the week.

Garmisch Appt view.jpgGarmisch view.jpgGarmisch Slalom Course.jpgGarmisch Swiss Supporters.jpg

Great update BW thank you. Arrived in Zermatt on Saturday. Sufficient snow about but could do with a top up to add to existing snow levels. Pistes good but off piste a bit rocky. Village has good snow - 10-15 Cms where sun has not touched- some bare patches where it has. 120 plus cms up the mountain. Sunday was a bluebird day.  Great for skiing with great light and little wind.

Now today - Monday.

Snow forecast.com was showing rain but as unpredictable as the mountains are light snow has turned in to moderate and persistent snow in the village. Some 10cms so far and still 'giving it some' at 10 pm ( 9 pm Uk time). Village now looking very Alpine! 

Hitting the slopes early am Tues will try and update conditions when I can. Unsettled conditions forecast for rest of week.

Edited by Betleyblizud
  • Like 2

Posted

Well despite the weather trying its hardest to spoil our week, we've managed to get some good skiing in over the last two days. Yesterday we went up on the Zugspitz Glacier and enjoyed a few hours of skiing before the weather front arrived and it started snowing (which is not good in a glacier 'bowl' with no trees to provide some visual definition so you know where your heading!!). The pics show the Zugspitz Cable Car; the sheer ascent to the arrival station at the top; and a couple of photos from the pistes.

Zugspitz Cable Car.jpgZugspitz Cable Top.jpgZugspitz Piste 1.jpgZugspitz Pisten Bully.jpg

Today we decided to brave the rain and ski the tree lined runs of the 'Classic' area. The freezing level was around 1,700m, so heavy snow above and heavy rain below and we ended up very wet. But the mountain was very quiet and the pistes surprisingly good with soft, grippy conditions. In fact the skiing was so good we skied the black Kandahar downhill racing course and thoroughly enjoyed it! Nice to have done it and live to ski another day! :)

Bottom of the Kandahar with the spectator grand stands still there. The photo doesn't do it justice! Garmisch Kandahar bottom.jpg

• Like 7

Well heavy overnight snow here in Zermatt deposited 15cms in the town and a blinking lot on the mountains! Sadly I keep getting the upload failed sign when I try and add the pics.

We did the Sunegga run this morning and then on to Gornergrat early pm. Pretty persistent snow at both so flat light but great skiing on the fresh snow.

Down at village level at 1600m it's turned to heavy rain on return and it's a bit messy now. Like Blessed reported the freezing level here also seems to be at 1700 as the 'top end of town' it's still snowing!

The rain is forecast to turn back to snow tonight and locally I'm being told a metre of snow from Thursday over the weekend with lower temps.  So anyone heading this way next week the conditions should be tip top.

Due to be sunny tomorrow late am onwards so it's off to Italy and Cervinia on skis!

Thanks Blessed that's done the trick. Below a couple of pics from the Village this morning ( very wet after the rain tonight though) and one from the top of Sunegga looking down towards Findeln just as we're about to set off!

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

Edited by Betleyblizud
  • Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Betleyblizud said:

Well heavy overnight snow here in Zermatt deposited 15cms in the town and a blinking lot on the mountains! Sadly I keep getting the upload failed sign when I try and add the pics.

We did the Sunegga run this morning and then on to Gornergrat early pm. Pretty persistent snow at both so flat light but great skiing on the fresh snow.

Down at village level at 1600m it's turned to heavy rain on return and it's a bit messy now. Like Blessed reported the freezing level here also seems to be at 1700 as the 'top end of town' it's still snowing!

The rain is forecast to turn back to snow tonight and locally I'm being told a metre of snow from Thursday over the weekend with lower temps.  So anyone heading this way next week the conditions should be tip top.

Due to be sunny tomorrow late am onwards so it's off to Italy and Cervinia on skis!

Might be the file size too big Betley, especially with today's cameras churning out pics with huge file size. I either reduce the resolution or the height/width size before posting. Sounds great where you are though!

• Like 1

Posted

Off to La Plagne on Saturday, looks good with snow falls predicted for back end of this week  - although with a late (about 8pm local time) transfer to the resort, and current forecasts, could be an interesting journey! 

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful conditions above 1,700m as the cloud broke this morning to give some welcome sunshine. :)

Garmisch Kandahar Top.jpgGarmisch Kreuz.jpgGarmisch Kreuz2.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
12 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Beautiful conditions above 1,700m as the cloud broke this morning to give some welcome sunshine. :)

Garmisch Kandahar Top.jpgGarmisch Kreuz.jpg

lovely photos BW, worth posting again which is what I have done!

and managed to lose one, me and modern technology are a bit like chalk and cheese

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

lovely photos BW, worth posting again which is what I have done!

and managed to lose one, me and modern technology are a bit like chalk and cheese

Where are you Malcolm? Lovely photos.

C

Posted
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 15:03, johnholmes said:

Well back from a shorter than usaul spell in Wengen. Only skied 5 days and very gently, I suspect my skiing days are coming to a close. Not helped this year by very few of the main runs having even seen a piste basher.  I did see one, backing into its garage at 8000 ft and another one sitting at the side of the Lauberhorn just after it eits under the mountain railway. The reason they give is, not enough snow. Which contradicts their snow depths of 40-60 cm. Still clear blue skies on all nut 1 day and low temperatures meant the snow was quite good if somewhat tiring, to me anyway, for turning etc. I'll try and drop a couple of photos in when I get organised.

Re the race(s), they manage a shortened Combined, and the slalom but heavy snow and poor visibility on the Saturday caused the Downhill to be cancelled. Not sure why they did not switch days as it would have been possible to do a shortened Downhill with the Slalom run on the Saturday.

It was quite funny on the following Saturday/Sunday from Kitzbuhel, a stony silence in the restaurant at Kleinne Scheidegg met the Brit coming 2nd. About a dozen brits got some sour looks as we yelled for our man!

sorry I seem not to have any connections for my mobile into my pc nor indeed my IPad so no photos

My daughter waved the flag in Stockholm the other evening as the Pendle Rocket came a creditable 4th in the parallel slalom. He is having a good season 5th in the world cup rankings.

C

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, carinthian said:

Where are you Malcolm? Lovely photos.

C

My apologies Paul - forgot to mention where! I'm in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the first pic is at the top of the Kandahar at 1,719m (on the Kreuzjoch mountain) and shows the permanent 'starting hut' from where the downhill racers launch their run. The other two are on the Kreuzeck at 1,651m looking towards the Alpspitze in the distance at 2,628m.

Today we travelled 20 km along the road into Austria and skied the resort of Lermoos. Lovely runs there but it was blowing hard and as a consequence the pistes were stripped bare of any soft snow and were very hard and icy. So not very nice to ski and in fact two of the party went over on steep pistes and slid to the bottom. Luckily no injuries and we're all in one piece for our last day's skiing tomorrow.

Looking down from the top of Lermoos: 58938e578993e_LermoosTwo.thumb.jpg.a67b70d1ecb643dde8735528595e95a8.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

This is on Cypress Mountain taken yesterday. Vancouvers local mountain and only 30 min drive from downtown. What a place to live ! My son who lives there reports snow cover in the city one of the best for quite some winters now.

C

16601943_10158325081435533_2087548950301763511_o.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

As Les Arcs gets busy for half term, the snow has been falling steadily since yesterday:

Screen Shot 02-07-17 at 02.06 PM.PNG

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1