Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Fantastic ski -ing at the moment. Lots of snow cover and quite deep in places and covering to all levels. However, its very cold on the mountains during this present severe cold spell in Austria. Max temp at 2000m only around -14c.

C

Some pictures from the wonderful ski-ing to be had this past weekend. Great snow but very cold , max yesterday -12c. Lucky folk out from the UK on Saturday having a great start and the resort is at its best.

C

15995207_2429260030434306_7520788176716383886_o.jpg

16112772_2429260527100923_5923442372502813057_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Excellent pictures there! Bone chilling cold too! How is the forecast shaping up for the upcoming week guys? Will the blog be out soon??

cheers

Posted

Very cold again this morning. Currently -11c and overcast. -15c at the top station. Excellent snow conditions but extremely cold on the mountain presently.

C

Posted

Yuk Paul, a day for riding in heated trains and stopping at various hostelries for coffee and cakes for me. Nearly as bad in Wengen but looks like warming up for the weekend. Trouble with blue skies it will encourage half of Switzerland to the village and areas around it.

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Yuk Paul, a day for riding in heated trains and stopping at various hostelries for coffee and cakes for me. Nearly as bad in Wengen but looks like warming up for the weekend. Trouble with blue skies it will encourage half of Switzerland to the village and areas around it.

Saw the pictures of the slalom race in Wengen. Looked like winter wonderland. The Pendle kid did well in the race. Too cold for me to venture out today, hugging the log fire and watching cricket on satellite. Enjoy the rest of your visit, don't think you are missing much weatherwise backing home!

Posted
8 hours ago, carinthian said:

Very cold again this morning. Currently -11c and overcast. -15c at the top station. Excellent snow conditions but extremely cold on the mountain presently.

C

Sounds like my idea of heaven, instead I'm back home suffering 12c temperatures. Desperate to get away again in the next fortnight or so before I crack up.

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrona2015 said:

A friend is boarding in Andorra at present and sent me this, very snowy with high winds. Looks like a scene from the Shinning...

image2_resized.JPG

Wow, that looks crazy.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

Sounds like my idea of heaven, instead I'm back home suffering 12c temperatures. Desperate to get away again in the next fortnight or so before I crack up.

Just seen those temps in Scotland. That's crazy warmth for your latitude. Something not right. 21 days in a row here now the temp has not got above zero c. Max today in village -10c. You do not stay out at altitude too long in this severe cold spell. -15C on the top runs this afternoon.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Norrona2015 said:

Some impressive snow being forecast for the Italian resorts over the next few days:

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 18.39.30.png

Good spot Norrona. We tend to focus on the usual Italian ski resorts located in the Alps and Dolomites, but those incredible totals are for mountain ranges down the spine of Italy - all thanks to a spiralling Low to the SW of Italy. Some tiny ski resorts that we've never heard of will be the 'top dogs' for receiving the most snowfall of any resort in Europe over the next few days!

Low Pressure today GFS SLP Italy Tues 17Jan.GIF Snowfall accum up to Thurs 19th Arpege Snow Accum to Thurs 19Jan.png

• Like 3

Posted

Temp down to -19c last night in the nearby valley town of Tamsweg. Currently -10c on the mountain. Picture looking SSW with the Ankogel Group in the background. The runs you see are just one side of the mountain and we a total of 3 sides of mountains to ski. My location can just be seen next to the far run on the right side ,approx. half way up at 1750m asl.

C

16107220_2430280766998899_751832975615277888_o.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I must stop reading this thread...

Sooo jealous!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Temp down to -19c last night in the nearby valley town of Tamsweg. Currently -10c on the mountain. Picture looking SSW with the Ankogel Group in the background. The runs you see are just one side of the mountain and we a total of 3 sides of mountains to ski. My location can just be seen next to the far run on the right side ,approx. half way up at 1750m asl.

C

16107220_2430280766998899_751832975615277888_o.jpg

What a great picture and a fantastic place to live!!

Off to Zermatt a week on Friday.Latest family feedback is that there's decent snow on the mountains above about 2000m but despite some big falls across the Alps including Wengen last weekend they have not had that much in the village this season (at around 1600m) " a few cms" ive  been told but it has been very, very cold.

Of course, i note, latest forecasts are indicating a considerable warm up for my vist - but thats become the norm for us!

Ill try and update with piste and snow conditions in the area when im there and post a pic or two.

Enjoy your skiing all!

• Like 3

Posted

Just a quick note about the change of title of the thread - we thought as more people are getting involved and with so many other winter snow destinations in Europe and worldwide, we'd open it up so no-one thinks it's just limited to the Alps. 

• Like 8

Posted

Les Gets looking good today. Nice pics of Mont Chery, which incidentally is a hidden gem up there - it's across the road from the main lifts and even in busy times like half term is usually relatively quiet - if you've got a car there's actually access on the backside of the mountain if the roads are clear, which gets you up and away from any crowds even more easily - definitely recommend it!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Beautiful conditions..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
21 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

Avalanche hits hotel in Italy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38674788

It almost beggars belief that a series of 'unusual' events could combine in this way and create this awful accident. The incredible snowfalls that we discussed in this thread only the other day have coincided with an earthquake in that very area (the Gran Sasso mountains) to cause a huge avalanche. Very sad.

Gran Sasso mountains Gran Sasso Mountains.jpg Centre of earthquake Italy earthquake.png

• Like 2

Posted

Morning . Nice sunny morning -7c in village. Picture from yesterday afternoon , ski-ing on the Aineck Mountain . Almost perfect snow conditions , still a bit cold but slowly warming up. Expecting a busy weekend on the slopes.

C

16107144_597283803815319_675097070092597486_o.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

I've not been to California to snowboard before, maybe this ought to be the year :D

Amazing season so far over there, Mammoth mountain leading the way with over 6m of base at the top! Makes up a bit for the drought years, and in particular the really difficult season last year. 

screenshot-www1.netweather.tv 2017-01-20 09-18-12.png

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S227~Mammoth Mountain Ski Area;sess=

Apparently it's their snowiest January ever!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/01/mammoth-mountain-is-enjoying-the-snowiest-january-in-its-history

I feel a US snow blog coming on :D

• Like 6