Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Guten tag from Feldberg in the German Black Forest. Arrived late Sunday and managed to get a couple of days skiing in on 6 inches of fresh snow before very strong winds arrived yesterday (Weds) resulting in several chairlifts being stopped. Same today, just one chair operating on the sheltered side of the mountain.

Incredibly quiet in the resort, so skiing empty pistes was wonderful. Forecast is for up to 40 cm of snow in the lead-up to my departure early Sunday, but the local forecast includes strong wind warnings for Friday and Saturday - this could be a very frustrating few days if most lifts aren't running!

A few photos:

Bottom of a blue Titisee Feldberg blue.jpg Chair lift back up Titisee Feldberg new chair.jpg

Bottom of black run Titisee Feldberg bottom black.jpg  Village at night Titisee night.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

High winds shut most of the lifts at Bansko this morning. Managed 3 great runs before it was deemed unsafe to carry on. 110 kmh winds at the top, mid mountain white out at times. Lovely powder early doors but that wind was fierce.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

With snow coming to Europe and a whole load of it in North America, remember to be safe if you're going out of bounds or off piste. This person had an extremely lucky escape..

Pretty much my worst fear and a reminder why I don't do off piste stuff. Avalanche pack, location device essential and in this case, worth every dollar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What's worse, poor snow but skiable and lifts open, or great snow but stormbound?

For our trip we were closer to the first situation, but in reality the snow was fine even if it was old and/or artificial. We had great weather though so could ski every day. I'd hate to be stuck in a resort for days not being able to ski.

@Norrona2015Sounds like you've had a great trip. Enjoy what else you can as it's not looking great for skiing back home this winter. If the models are correct it may stay cold but we really need a couple of good storm systems batter through and dump snow on the hills (even it that means heavy rain low down). That's looking rather unlikely at the moment and I suspect my son's class at school may be doing the 'alternative activities' on their 4 day trip to Glenshee at the start of Feb.

• Like 1

Posted

I have this feeling the Scottish resorts will struggle this year. The  webcams up Cairngorm and Lecht are less than inspiring when I took a peak today. Looks like the forecasted heavy snow this week won't be enough to get pistes open. Pretty sure Glenshee are to blame after they started work on the new Cairnwell chairlift. They've jinxed Scotland!

Had a great time in Bulgaria and plan to do another couple of euro trips this season if the conditions play nice. Quite enjoying the afternoon off as it's time to relax and let those little injuries heal. Hopefully back on it all day Friday and we're boarding up to an hour before the airport transfer leaves at 16.30 Saturday. Should be very quiet on the lmountain as Saturday is the main change out day and the Russians head back to work.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 2

Posted

If you would like to see something a bit different watch this video - the 2015 Lauberhorn with the salute from the skies interwoven with it.

or this

or this

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
11 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

Pretty much my worst fear and a reminder why I don't do off piste stuff. Avalanche pack, location device essential and in this case, worth every dollar.

That is pretty scary.. What was the loud noise that sounded like drill? was it some kind of beacon?

Posted
7 hours ago, Nights King said:

That is pretty scary.. What was the loud noise that sounded like drill? was it some kind of beacon?

That sound is the gas cannister discharging to fill the airbag apparently 

The video footage was recorded at Whistler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers
23 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Guten tag from Feldberg in the German Black Forest. Arrived late Sunday and managed to get a couple of days skiing in on 6 inches of fresh snow before very strong winds arrived yesterday (Weds) resulting in several chairlifts being stopped. Same today, just one chair operating on the sheltered side of the mountain.

Incredibly quiet in the resort, so skiing empty pistes was wonderful. Forecast is for up to 40 cm of snow in the lead-up to my departure early Sunday, but the local forecast includes strong wind warnings for Friday and Saturday - this could be a very frustrating few days if most lifts aren't running!

A few photos:

Bottom of a blue Titisee Feldberg blue.jpg Chair lift back up Titisee Feldberg new chair.jpg

Bottom of black run Titisee Feldberg bottom black.jpg  Village at night Titisee night.jpg

Schwarzwald ist wunderschön im Winter. I live just like an hour from there! Looks nice! More snow to come and it will geht a lot colder up there.

• Like 2

Posted

it is snowing like crazy in Switzerland: wallis.jpg

snowstorm: 157.jpg

Edited by El Nino
  • Like 3

Posted

Looking at the web cams and result board in Wengen it looks as if the Combined today has not run, not sure if they managed the slalom part but visibility even in Wengen looks in fog limits and even worse further up the mountain.

Forecast not promising for tomorrow, bit better for Sunday. So again they may switch the slalom to Saturday and the downhill to Sunday. It works but causes big problems with transportation, accomodation and such like.

http://www.bahnhof-scheidegg.ch/default.asp?itemid=107&lang=e

The view from the railway/station/restaurant some 800-900 feet below the start gate on the Lauberhorn

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A very cold and snowy day's skiing here in Feldberg with frequent snow showers and the -6C temp this afternoon feeling bitter in a keen wind. The snow is fantastic to ski, but as feared the weather has resulted in only 4 out of 14 lifts being opened today. :(

I managed to do a 'face plant' in some deep stuff this morning, much to the amusement of my daughter who retrieved my skis! Only pride damaged though!

Below, a photo of one of the highlights of the day - a cosy mountain bar where we stopped for glühwein und heiße schokolade! :D

Feldberg Graffenmat Fri reduced.jpg

• Like 7

Spoiler

The New Year has seen conditions slowly improve across the Alps, initially it was the Eastern parts of the Alps, most notably Austria which saw the best conditions. However this week has seen some fresh snow over more Western areas. In the past 48 hours there has been widespread heavy snow over the Alps with 25-50cm of fresh snow quite widely across the Alps. This snow is set to continue over the Alps this weekend, with some great powder conditions expected in many areas.

Synoptic Setup
With a ridge of High Pressure building over the UK and low pressure over Scandinavia, a feed of bitterly cold Arctic air is pushing in over the Alps into this weekend. This will introduce some very cold conditions to all parts with widespread snowfalls across the Alps this weekend  in the unstable air mass.

Into next week and with High Pressure building over Northern Mainland Europe and with Low Pressure to the South of the Alps an easterly feed is established keeping things very cold. The High Pressure to the North is set to build over the Alps turning things drier midweek.

However there of signs of the High breaking down by the end of the week, with the chance of some Precipitation edging back up from the south.

Temps staying very much on the  cold side throughout , with subzero temps overnight to sea level, and the temps only slowly abating towards the weekend.

Freezing Levels
Bitterly cold to start, slightly less cold form the south as week progresses, remaining subzero overnight across the Alps to Sea Level.850Hpa Temps start at around -6 (South to -10c (North, but drop to -8 (South) to -13 (North by Tuesday, Slightly less cold by Friday , -2c in the SW to -8dc in the East.

Precipitation
The weekend sees widespread snowfall over the Alps, this most consistent of this over the French Alps, SW Germany and Switzerland for Saturday and most of Sunday. Further East Austria is likely to see outbreaks of snow, heavy to moderate at times. the driest areas look set to be SE Austria and NE Italy, but even here some snowfall is expected.

Into next week and some outbreaks of snow are expected over the Alps for Monday and Tuesday, these are expected to be heaviest in Central areas.With High Pressure building turning a bit drier midweek for a time, towards the weekend signs of more general snow for the SE of the Alps, for SE Austria and NW Italy.  However this is a long way off.So all parts seeing some snow at times this week. For once snow marginality does not look that much of an issue this week, with all/most precipitation as snow to well below resort levels.

Summary

Looking Very cold and snowy over the alps this coming week.

In the spoiler section is this weeks Ski Blog, which should be up shortly (with pictures)

For once the forecast is very positive.

Edited by J10
  • Like 3

Posted

The amount of snow for the next days in Switzerland (schnee = snow): http://www.bergfex.ch/schweiz/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144

• Like 2

Posted

great alp snowing still continuous: http://www.kaikowetter.ch/berneroberland.html

Fresh snow amount in Switzerland:

20170114_093406_Joachim.png

Edited by El Nino

Posted

Well it is sods law, Wengen deviod of snow other than 'cannon snow' for the higher runs, especially the Lauberhorn trio Fri-Sunday, has had to cancel the Combined yesterday and the Downhill today leaving just the Slalom for tomorrow. Looking at some photographs I found on the web there were scores of marshalls trying to clear the snow this morning but they had to give up. Over 20-30 cm seems to have fallen over most of the run all the way down to the finish area, links below

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

All the infrastructure is in place so gawd knows how much money will have been lost. It takes the Swiss army with advice and support from the race committee andquite a lot of folk from the area, helicopters, trains etc, about 10 days or so to set everything up. Oh well I hope the ski run bashers sort things out for next Wednesday. Mind you I am not keen on the predicted temperatures in the area. Even at my sedate rate of descent it gets darn painful and just as bad on a ski lift. I suspect it may be walking and training from one mountain resaurant to another some of the time.

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely to see some good snow amounts around Europe the last week :)

Yesterday and the last for days prior was showing some heavy falls again from next weekend which would have been well timed with my eagerly awaited trip next weekend.....But this seems to have receded with the latest models. Hoping for a flip back again....but great to see the much improved conditions for everyone. 

Posted

Off to solden tomorrow afternoon. Conditions look very good,but the temps look bitter. Minus 20 at mid station for the start of the week anyway. Will post some pics next week.

• Like 1

Posted

No downhill but reasonable prospects they will run the slalom tomorrow.

There are 3 races

The combined (downhill and slalom), downhill and slalom run Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Fantastic ski -ing at the moment. Lots of snow cover and quite deep in places and covering to all levels. However, its very cold on the mountains during this present severe cold spell in Austria. Max temp at 2000m only around -14c.

C