Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

On 30/12/2016 at 09:14, Nights King said:

I know this is the alps thread but any views on conditions going forward for Borovets bulgaria? 

I am off on 14th but they have had a few small/mod falls opening up over half runs but they have less snow makers than alps so praying for a decent fall in next week or so to utilize whole resort.

Some good news. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S2648~Borovets;sess=

Capture.JPG

Exceptionally cold there atm, with resort temps well below -10c until midweek, and closer to -20c on upper slopes. Turning somewhat less cold before next weekend, temps staying below zero though to resort level.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 hours ago, J10 said:

Some good news. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S2648~Borovets;sess=

Capture.JPG

Exceptionally cold there atm, with resort temps well below -10c until midweek, and closer to -20c on upper slopes. Turning somewhat less cold before next weekend, temps staying below zero though to resort level.

After skiing in -30 - 40c or at least attempting to last january in finland I can manage -20c :D To make it worse all the gondola and chairs get closed because of grease freezing so you have to hold onto pole of a drag lift and try not to freeze while being dragged up.

It dropped to -48c one day and we could barely breath let alone ski :cold:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted

Arrived in Bulgaria late last night, -15c at Sofia airport with drifting snow. Had a 10 minute wait on the arrival bus with the doors open, some of passengers weren't dressed for the weather and we're shivering badly. Currently below -20c, breezy and light snow. It's like stepping into a freezer when we left the hotel this morning.

• Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

Arrived in Bulgaria late last night, -15c at Sofia airport with drifting snow. Had a 10 minute wait on the arrival bus with the doors open, some of passengers weren't dressed for the weather and we're shivering badly. Currently below -20c, breezy and light snow. It's like stepping into a freezer when we left the hotel this morning.

Im getting excited now it looks like another decent fall of snow for you Monday/Tuesday before it drys up for couple of days then maybe some more Saturday to Monday 14th to 16th January which would be nice to freshen runs up for me :D

I'd love to just see some snow falling too after the mild winters we have been getting.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Im getting excited now it looks like another decent fall of snow for you Monday/Tuesday before it drys up for couple of days then maybe some more Saturday to Monday 14th to 16th January which would be nice to freshen runs up for me :D

I'd love to just see some snow falling too after the mild winters we have been getting.

Based on the first days snowboarding, I'd definitely come to Bulgaria again. Conditions on the mountain are excellent, no queues for the gondola or the other lifts thankfully.Prices for food and drink are really good value for money even with a poor exchange rate.The only slight downside is novices tackling terrain that's too much for them, with the obvious outcomes. 

Today was without doubt the coldest I've snowboarded in, -20c middle mountain but it felt way colder than that with the wind.Made the mistake of removing my balaclava for one run despite warnings from the group. By the time I'd got to the bottom I couldn't feel my face. One of the group has been boarding abroad since 2006 and he reckons that's the coldest he's ever been. He's been everywhere in Europe and Banff Bc.

Absolutely frigid but what a fantastic day!

• Like 3

Posted
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:36, gareth moo said:

Tignes is a fantastic all round resort with a huge variety of skiing - with some amazing off piste areas if that's what your looking for. I also agree with Malcolm that Le Lac, although not pretty, is the best place to stay if you want access to the whole area including Val d'Isere. La Folie Douce is completely mental and always worth a visit especially after 3pm when it really starts bouncing. (I have also paid a visit to the equally insane Alpe d'Huez and Val Thorens branches of the chain).  However, if you're staying in Le Lac don't be late back to the Tommeuses chair as it closes at 4.45 I think. The black run back home in the twilight with a few beverages on board is generally quite 'eventful.' Tignes is an open bowl area so visibility can be compromised in poor weather although there are some lovely tree lined runs down towards La Brevieres and on the lower slopes in Val at La Daile, Fornet and Solaise. Highly recommended -  and the central private accommodation agency is super efficient via their website if you want to go independenly.

Morning Gareth

We have ended up booking a place down in La Brevieres which I understand is at the bottom of Tignes. This basically due to availability and price plus the Mrs wanted some spa facilities in the hotel :nea:. Any how looking at the forecast this week some much needed snow on the way (if I read the charts correct haha) plus we have a car so we can get around an explore. Well here's hoping all of us who's travelling get lucky with some fresh dumps soon...and who knows we may have a taster ourselves this week in the UK!

Cheers

WW

Posted
7 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Morning Gareth

We have ended up booking a place down in La Brevieres which I understand is at the bottom of Tignes. This basically due to availability and price plus the Mrs wanted some spa facilities in the hotel :nea:. Any how looking at the forecast this week some much needed snow on the way (if I read the charts correct haha) plus we have a car so we can get around an explore. Well here's hoping all of us who's travelling get lucky with some fresh dumps soon...and who knows we may have a taster ourselves this week in the UK!

Cheers

WW

Great choice- certainly a more authentic Alpine village. Love it down in Le Brev between the trees. Snow fortunes looking better too!

P.S. The bar next to the gondola just over the river bridge on the left has top quality vin chaud! 

• Like 1

Posted

Snow just keeps falling in Bulgaria. It's been snowing for the last 24 hours, the heaviest has fallen through the night. A further 20cm+ is forecast for today. Thankfully the temperatures have risen a good bit from yesterday.

-9 in the village

-15 mid mountain

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Deep blue sky. A bit of freezing fog on the lower slopes. Currently -11c in village and same on the berg. Looks like being an extended Central Euroland cold spell with more snow in the forecast.

C

15994619_10154950506843628_6070501451358333631_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

Snow just keeps falling in Bulgaria. It's been snowing for the last 24 hours, the heaviest has fallen through the night. A further 20cm+ is forecast for today. Thankfully the temperatures have risen a good bit from yesterday.

-9 in the village

-15 mid mountain

Good to hear.

I'm guessing we have enough snow to open all the runs and passes now so you can ski top to bottom. Often the long gentle pass at bottom of the main godola gets closed due to lack of cannon coverage.

Every time I look at forecast it seems to extend snowfall by a day, now more is forecast Tuesday Wednesday and Saturday which is great but id like to see a flurry or two over the next week there so don't be greedy :D

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrona2015 said:

-9 in the village

-15 mid mountain

Hi,

Are you in Bansko ?  I'm Off there on 21st, Bulgaria looked like a good bet this year and that cold in Eastern Europe doesn't look like going anywhere soon!  Looking good for all of the Alps next week !  I usually go to Borovets which is having a great season also.   I've heard gondola Q in Bansko can be really long as it is the only lift up the mountain?  How have you found it ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Hi,

Are you in Bansko ?  I'm Off there on 21st, Bulgaria looked like a good bet this year and that cold in Eastern Europe doesn't look like going anywhere soon!  Looking good for all of the Alps next week !  I usually go to Borovets which is having a great season also.   I've heard gondola Q in Bansko can be really long as it is the only lift up the mountain?  How have you found it ?

Hi Tim,

Yes we are in Bansko and having a great time.No queues for the gondola do far but this is the second quietest week of the season. Next week is the quietest. Snowboarding conditions are superb today, -15 mid mountain and non stop snow.

If you find the Gondola queue a problem when you arrive, book a taxi or get there for 8am, guarantee you will not queue as most of the hotel courtesy buses pick up from 8.30am 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

Good to hear.

I'm guessing we have enough snow to open all the runs and passes now so you can ski top to bottom. Often the long gentle pass at bottom of the main godola gets closed due to lack of cannon coverage.

Every time I look at forecast it seems to extend snowfall by a day, now more is forecast Tuesday Wednesday and Saturday which is great but id like to see a flurry or two over the next week there so don't be greedy :D

Couple of pistes are closed top of mountain but it is possible to ski from almost the top all the way back to Bansko. Conditions are great at the moment with further snow expected. You'll have a great time me thinks.

Posted

Just a minor 110cm of snow forecast for Avoriaz in the next 5 days or so !!!!!!!!

(Based on GFS precip charts!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Moderate overnight snowfall. Cloudy start , current temp -12c. Powder snow. light winds. Good day for a blast.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Still snowing in Bansko. Pistes very choppy in places, think the paste bashers had last night off!

Picture taken at the top of Mosta lift day. Too much black me thinks...

20170111_141309_001_resized.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

Still snowing in Bansko. Pistes very choppy in places, think the paste bashers had last night off!

Picture taken at the top of Mosta lift day. Too much black me thinks...

20170111_141309_001_resized.jpg

Hope to be doing that at the top of Bennachie this weekend (minus snowboard), fat chance!

• Like 1

Posted

With snow coming to Europe and a whole load of it in North America, remember to be safe if you're going out of bounds or off piste. This person had an extremely lucky escape..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very lucky! Good job he had that fancy inflatable avalanche aid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers
7 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Is it possible to see this in English??

I'm afraid not. But the symbols hoppfully are understandable for everyone.

They are talking about the weather in Germany: Getting colder from tonight on, snow at the Weekend, especially in the south and from Monday on frosty daily temperture, for all next week. Winter open end.

Edited by El Nino
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, El Nino said:

I'm afraid not. But the symbols hoppfully are understandable for everyone.

They are talking about the weather in Germany: Getting colder from tonight on, snow at the Weekend, especially in the south and from Monday on frosty daily temperture, for all next week. Winter open end.

Well thanks for the link! Hopefully this cold and snowy conditions will spread through the alps and make the way to the Val D isere area in time for my visit in 2 weeks :)

Hopefully all areas are having a good dumo of snow as much is needed.

Cheers