Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Latest update from Snow-forecast.com and http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/overview/default.aspx#.WFxDurmLWWE

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

INTRODUCTION A Glorious sunny day across Austria. For many resorts the best skiing can be found on the upper slopes where the pistes are hard packed but well-groomed, despite the lack of any recent snow. Christmas Eve may bring the early gift of some snow for resorts such as Filzmoos and Kaprun, but other than that there has been no drastic change in skiing conditions over the last week.

In Switzerland there has been no significant changes in conditions, resorts around The Matterhorn saw some fresh snow recently however. East in Italy its nothing but sunshine, with the expectation of the southern resorts in Vialattea where almost a metre has fallen in the past four days.

There were some great conditions in France thanks to some new snow in places and some glorious weather. Unfortunately some resorts missed out and are still suffering from a lack of snow. Resorts on the Italian border got the most snow, whereas the Northern Alps missed out altogether.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Thursday the 22nd of December marked the return of sunny weather to the Alps after a few days of cloud and snow. As a result, it was a great day for skiing in many resorts, but riders should be aware that avalanche risks could be considerable, especially in areas affected by strong winds. The outlook for the rest of the week was mostly sunny, with the exception of Austria, which could see some new snowfalls over the ensuing days. The outlook for the Pyrenees was mostly sunny but with scattered snow showers. Snow had been falling in Andorra and this was set to continue into the weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snowfall this week alas did not match what was forecast/hoped for.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morgen, yet another cloudless day dawns. Wall to wall sunshine. We have some light snowfall in the forecast for late Tues into Wed next week as a temp Northerly flow comes down from Scandiland.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Morgen, yet another cloudless day dawns. Wall to wall sunshine. We have some light snowfall in the forecast for late Tues into Wed next week as a temp Northerly flow comes down from Scandiland.

C

Looking good towards new year.
Now seen any snow at the Edlewisse cam for ages.
However one thing that bugs me is when we get the SW winds and or the euro slug we just get cloud.
Where you guys get loads of sunshine even if no snow.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Looking good towards new year.
Now seen any snow at the Edlewisse cam for ages.
However one thing that bugs me is when we get the SW winds and or the euro slug we just get cloud.
Where you guys get loads of sunshine even if no snow.

Yes, its becoming a bit of a feature over the past 2 decades ( Euro high ) This picture taken this morning and the sun out again for another full day. Its super nice to ski but we need snowfall sooner than later. We actually get some of our best snowfalls when the high relocates over you lot. Hopefully by the middle of next week we should start to see signs of real winter charts.

C

15626252_584751705068529_2946153483217027057_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Yes, its becoming a bit of a feature over the past 2 decades ( Euro high ) This picture taken this morning and the sun out again for another full day. Its super nice to ski but we need snowfall sooner than later. We actually get some of our best snowfalls when the high relocates over you lot. Hopefully by the middle of next week we should start to see signs of real winter charts.

C

15626252_584751705068529_2946153483217027057_o.jpg

That is a seriously lovely photo. 

Do they always keep the pistes in such tip top condition there, as I have often seen the pistes in amazing condition.

Posted
5 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

That is a seriously lovely photo. 

Do they always keep the pistes in such tip top condition there, as I have often seen the pistes in amazing condition.

The piste guys are amazing. The resort wins lots of awards for the quality of the runs. Super easy gliding through wonderful terrain, I love ,it  that's why I moved here . Get yourself over here .

C

Posted

Some more pictures from earlier today.

C

15622655_1357119227640509_4473680266144778904_n.jpg

15622699_1357119220973843_6886985103587991980_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
42 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Some more pictures from earlier today.

C

15622655_1357119227640509_4473680266144778904_n.jpg

15622699_1357119220973843_6886985103587991980_n.jpg

If I may echo the comments of @seaside 60 those are lovely photos Paul, and the pistes look amazing considering the conditions so far this early season. That piste in your bottom photo isn't even north facing yet looks so inviting - and the piste in the distance looks a brilliant long 'cruiser'!! Definitely thinking I should pencil in Katschberg for 2017 (God willing!). :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

The piste guys are amazing. The resort wins lots of awards for the quality of the runs. Super easy gliding through wonderful terrain, I love ,it  that's why I moved here . Get yourself over here .

C

Would love to.

Not sure if my body would last though and how frustrated would I be when I cant do what I used to do. lol

Neilson are the only Uk compnay to go there you said.
What are the best in and out type hotel /chalets there if you dont mind me asking.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Would love to.

Not sure if my body would last though and how frustrated would I be when I cant do what I used to do. lol

Neilson are the only Uk compnay to go there you said.
What are the best in and out type hotel /chalets there if you dont mind me asking.

Hi,most are ski in/out. The Cristallo Hotel,who Nelson use has wonderful facilities even for non skiers and the food is great there.

• Like 1

So I arrived in mottaret yesterday and today was the first day on the mountain.  All in all a good day! Up high (val thorens, top of meribel ) snow cover is pretty good.  I'm at 1750 and the pistes are great, but very bare all around. I'd hoped for at least a little cosmetic cover but no luck. But the weather is good, the food is plentiful, as is the beer, and it's Christmas.  So seasons greetings to you all. 

• Like 3

Posted

Winter arrived in the Alps...again

Edlewisse cam shows some fresh snow and much colder at -11c

• Like 1

Posted

Looking much more promising from the first week in January. The anomaly charts are fairly consistent in showing a flow from north of west. At times quite troughy too so much of the Alps should get a decent covering. Next week suggests the first major snowfall for some time-of course I may be wrong, hope not though.

• Like 3

Posted
On 12/23/2016 at 08:52, hammy_ire said:

@TheGate.....is it today you hit La Plagne? Looking forward to some reports and pics of the conditions!

Yes. Slopes look well groomed down 1500m but there is no snow on the roads, and bare patches all over the mountains. I'm afraid we are in for a warm and sunny week. Pistes up high are in good condition, but down Low they are suffering. Today have had to stop early as I fell due to sticky snow and overcrowding, it seems around bellecotte that quite a few pistes are closed and therefore the open ones are very full. Next week they are expecting snow from Tuesday, but it may take a day or two to improve things.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheGate said:

Yes. Slopes look well groomed down 1500m but there is no snow on the roads, and bare patches all over the mountains. I'm afraid we are in for a warm and sunny week. Pistes up high are in good condition, but down Low they are suffering. Today have had to stop early as I fell due to sticky snow and overcrowding, it seems around bellecotte that quite a few pistes are closed and therefore the open ones are very full. Next week they are expecting snow from Tuesday, but it may take a day or two to improve things.

Thanks for the update.  Are you staying around for long? I'll be there from Saturday to Saturday so fingers crossed for that snow but the models don't look amazing at the moment but of course a lot can change in a week! 

Posted
5 hours ago, hammy_ire said:

Thanks for the update.  Are you staying around for long? I'll be there from Saturday to Saturday so fingers crossed for that snow but the models don't look amazing at the moment but of course a lot can change in a week! 

I am leaving Friday. It really has been wall to wall sunshine, which has its place after a good dump. Hope you get some good snow next week,

• Like 1

Posted

The outlook for the Alps is finally looking up! And the French press have picked up on the story:

Alleluia should say the stations (resorts). After almost a month without precipitation, Météo France forecasters based in Bourg-Saint-Maurice announce the arrival of several disruptions for next week.
"We are going to have a fairly radical change," says one of the forecasters. Ten centimeters should fall on Monday on Bourg-Saint-Maurice, "and about the same amount in station". Another snowy phenomenon could also make its appearance on the weekend of 7 and 8 January.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/12/28/de-la-neige-fraiche-est-attendue-pour-la-semaine-prochaine

The latest GFS charts show a series of snow bands reaching the Alps. But the other notable fact is the 850 hPa temps are forecast to fall to -15C and even briefly -20C, so bitterly cold!!

3rd Alps snow 03Jan.png 7th Alps snow 07Jan.png 9th Alps snow 09Jan.png

850 hPa temps on 10th Jan: Alps 850 temp 10Jan.png

I think I've struck it lucky - I'm off to the German resort of Feldberg on Jan 8th. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I suspect this link of the skiing in the Wengen area is fairly typical of many resorts at the moment. Many runs open but they desperately need a good top up of real rather than 'cannon' snow. It is looking from the upper air guidance that, much as BW posts above from the Meteo France site that snow is going to fall at times in the next two weeks. Just how much, exactly when and where is still not too obvious in my view.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Livecam

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

The outlook for the Alps is finally looking up! And the French press have picked up on the story:

Alleluia should say the stations (resorts). After almost a month without precipitation, Météo France forecasters based in Bourg-Saint-Maurice announce the arrival of several disruptions for next week.
"We are going to have a fairly radical change," says one of the forecasters. Ten centimeters should fall on Monday on Bourg-Saint-Maurice, "and about the same amount in station". Another snowy phenomenon could also make its appearance on the weekend of 7 and 8 January.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/12/28/de-la-neige-fraiche-est-attendue-pour-la-semaine-prochaine

The latest GFS charts show a series of snow bands reaching the Alps. But the other notable fact is the 850 hPa temps are forecast to fall to -15C and even briefly -20C, so bitterly cold!!

3rd Alps snow 03Jan.png 7th Alps snow 07Jan.png 9th Alps snow 09Jan.png

850 hPa temps on 10th Jan: Alps 850 temp 10Jan.png

I think I've struck it lucky - I'm off to the German resort of Feldberg on Jan 8th. :)

I really hope you're right @Blessed Weather, struggling to see how 10cms will reach that far south.  Seems to be fizzling out as it moves south against the higher pressure.  Fingers crossed...plenty of changes in the meantime no doubt. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, hammy_ire said:

I really hope you're right @Blessed Weather, struggling to see how 10cms will reach that far south.  Seems to be fizzling out as it moves south against the higher pressure.  Fingers crossed...plenty of changes in the meantime no doubt. 

I'm feeling more confident largely because the Ensemble members for both GFS and ECM are showing that the persistent Euro heights should finally be off the scene by 8th January and the Alps should be benefitting from a (generally) northerly flow.

You are right that the first band of precipitation forecast for the 3rd fizzles as it comes up against the high pressure, so maybe not much from the first front. But subsequent fronts will hopefully not have the same problem, so hopefully higher snowfall amounts. (But the wise words of JH - above - about exactly how much and when should be heeded!!).

I think I probably shouldn't have posted the 850 hPa temp chart from the GFS 6z run this morning, as subsequent analysis of the Ensembles shows the Op had been on the sherry! But the means still suggest the 850 temps should be nicely into the sub-zero category.

Anyway, some charts to back up my thinking. First this morning's GEFS and ECM ENS 500mb height anomalies for the 8th January. Euro heights gone and upper flow from a northerly point. GEFS better than ECM ENS as there's a stronger signal for lower heights over the Alps.

GEFS GEFS Mean Euro Height Anom 6z 29Dec for 08Jan.png ECM ENS ECM ENS 0z 29Dec for 08Jan.GIF

Then the GEFS and ECM ENS mean 850 hPa temps for the 8th January:

GEFS GEFS Mean Euro 850 Temps 6z 29Dec for 08Jan.png ECM ENS ECM ENS 0z 850 Temp 29Dec for 08Jan.GIF

Posted
6 hours ago, hammy_ire said:

Hi hammy. Thanks for the pm. I'm replying here as it may be relevant to others departing for the Alps this coming weekend.

First of all, I now understand your concerns as you depart for La Plagne on 31st Dec. That is one fantastic resort for skiing and I've been there twice. Linked to Les Arcs too, so a day over there is well worth it.

From what I can see from today's model output, you stand a reasonable chance of seeing snowfall of between 5 and 10 cm on Tues 3rd Jan. I sincerely hope that is an underestimate from the models and you end up with more. Here's the 12z charts today for next Tues 3rd (La Plagne location arrowed) - GFS, Arpege hourly at 03.00, and Arpege cumulative to next Tuesday morning 07.00 (furthest chart at the mo):

GFS Precip 12z 29Dec for 03Jan.pngArpege 12z 29Dec for 03Jan La Plagne.jpgArpege 12z Accum Precip 29Dec for 03Jan.png

• Like 2

Posted

Eastern Austria is the place to be currently. World Cup from Semmering held in blizzard conditions this week.

Looking ahead, it seems the big computers have sniffed out changing fortunes for other parched Alpine areas. Fingers crossed for all January skiers.

• Like 1