Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

As per last year, these are the Snow Conditions Update from (full analysis on the links provided)

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full and

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 8 DECEMBER 2016

INTRODUCTION Europe was looking stunning this morning under clear blue skies. The best skiing in France is still to be found in the Southern Alps. No snow is in the forecast for the foreseeable. The Pyrenees are also offering a fair amount of skiing with fantastic views.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK It's been dry and sunny for most of Europe recently, and this looks set to continue for the foreseeable future. Austria and Eastern Europe could see some snow over the next week but it will be mostly dry. It's a similar story in the Pyrenees, where sunshine is set to dominate.

Posted

A disappointing and concerning outlook with regards to fresh snowfall. A large dump is needed prior to the Xmas/New year guys arriving. Cross everything!

• Like 1

The Skiing season for 2016/2017 is seeing many resorts open their doors both now and in the run-up to Christmas. Apart early snowfalls it has been very dry for the most part in recent weeks and with some mild temperatures and freezing levels above 3000m.

However there is some glorious weather to be skiing in with clear blue skies in many areas.

In my thoughts, this week there are a couple of factors to be looking at

1.      The Location of the High Pressure,

2.      The Very cold air over Scandinavia and the possible migration to the Alps.

11 Dec.png11 Dec + 24.png

For today and tomorrow the wind direction is North Westerly veering North Easterly. This should bring colder air for all parts, but more especially for Eastern areas with subzero 850Hpa temps likely for Germany, Austria and Eastern Italy. There is also the possibility of some moderate snowfalls over higher ground in these areas.

11 Dec + 48.png11 Dec + 72.png11 Dec + 96.png

By midweek, High Pressure will largely be in charge, while the centre of the High Pressure will edge South and East allowing more of a milder westerly flow back in over the Alps. The 850Hpa values are likely to rise to 0c to +5cfrom the west by Wednesday, this is not as mild as last week.

11 Dec + 120.png11 Dec + 144.png

Towards the end of the week, High Pressure will build over North Eastern Europe and introduce an easterly feed over the Alps, tapping into the very cold air over Scandinavia with sub -5c 850Hpa air reaching eastern areas, and around 0c further west.

Precipitation      

A largely dry week for France, Switzerland and other western parts of the Alps.

For Austria and Eastern areas there are 2 period of precipitation expected,

The first is a band of precipitation pushing down from the north this afternoon, and lingering over Northern Austria until tomorrow afternoon, with snow generally above 1200-1500m, lower at times, and some sizeable local accumulations possible 25cm perhaps around the Tyrol.

GFSOPME06_48_49.pngalpprec5.png

The next precipitation event is expected around Wednesday evening. A front is set to push in from the North East, and give further moderate precipitation with snow generally above 1200-1500m.

GFSOPME06_96_49.pngalpprec4.pngalpprec2.png

The Front is expected to move South Westwards during the evening and night before fizzling out, Northern Austria the most likely spot for moderate snowfalls.

Temps –Freezing Levels

Today – North 1500m to 2400m South and over 3000m Italy
Monday – Generally 1200m to 1800m, 2400m for South West
Tuesday – 600m to 1800m Eastern Austria, 2400m for South West Alps
Wednesday – Milder from West, 1800m to 2400m generally
Thursday – 600m to 1800m Eastern Austria, 2000m to 2400m For Austria and Switzerland
Friday – 200m to 600m North and Eastern Austria, 1200m to 1800m For Central Austria and Italy, 2200 to 2400m Western Austria and for France and Switzerland

Outlook

Turning a lot colder by next weekend so even it stays dry at least those snow cannons can be in full operation

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A weakening cold front produced a few cm of fresh snowfall this morning. All very welcome but we need a lot more sooner than later. Colder atmosphere layers now into our region so temps should stay below freezing for a while .

C

Posted

Fantastic early morning dawn on Whistler Mountain. Live shot from Roundhouse. Current temp -15c. -9c in village.

C

roundhouse2.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Paul said:

Aww, having been there for the first time last winter, it's pics like that which have me itching to do again. Amazing place!

Paul , its certainly is. Ranks one of my top 5 places, especially when the weather is good. That Peak to Peak Gondola is also something to behold too ! My son out in Vancouver reports back as one of the best starts to the snow season for quite a number of years on the West Coast. Get yourself booked !

C

Posted

Been there in 2001. The Dave Murry downhill was my favourite run. Stayed at creekside for two weeks. Will go again when the bank balance allows, stunning place.

Posted
11 hours ago, minus 9 said:

Been there in 2001. The Dave Murry downhill was my favourite run. Stayed at creekside for two weeks. Will go again when the bank balance allows, stunning place.

Dave Murray, a bit too scary for me that one. You will notice a big change in the resort since 2001, especially now the two peaks are connected by an amazing Gondola with glass bottom looking down on a 1000 ft deep valley. Opened up a lot of amazing ski-ing to the back bowls.

c

• Like 1

Posted

Fancy a run down this this morning. Empty pistes and deep blue skies.

C

15492060_580610478815985_4600385343120105439_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
57 minutes ago, Paul said:

This is another place I've always wanted to go to, along with Big White and Silver Star. Anyone been to any of them?

My sons friend, a keen boarder out there and based in Kamloops rates the quality snow in Sun Peaks Resort and almost Alpine looking village with lots of Nordic trails. A bit cheaper to eat out as well compared to Whistler. But when asked where is the best spot for boarding, Whistler everytime ! but that's just his view. Pictures look great.

C

• Like 1

I have been following this thread for quite a few seasons getting my head around the weather patterns needed to produce a good snow flurry over the alps, and I have to say it is not looking good at the moment.  I'm off to Les Arcs 1800 on the 7th Jan and at the moment, its looking like I will be either skiing down slithers of snow around resort, or i'll potentially be heading out after the first big dump of the year... Fingers crossed for the latter!

On a side note, I was in Geneva at the weekend and went alpine walking in the Jura and had that most amazing of phenomenon where you set off at 400m in -3 degrees Celsius and then head up to 1700m to be at +5 degrees Celsius, made for some cracking views but not good conditions for snow!

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, durhamgrad said:

I have been following this thread for quite a few seasons getting my head around the weather patterns needed to produce a good snow flurry over the alps, and I have to say it is not looking good at the moment.  I'm off to Les Arcs 1800 on the 7th Jan and at the moment, its looking like I will be either skiing down slithers of snow around resort, or i'll potentially be heading out after the first big dump of the year... Fingers crossed for the latter!

On a side note, I was in Geneva at the weekend and went alpine walking in the Jura and had that most amazing of phenomenon where you set off at 400m in -3 degrees Celsius and then head up to 1700m to be at +5 degrees Celsius, made for some cracking views but not good conditions for snow!

Welcome durhagrad. J10 ( Julian ) puts out a weekly forecast for most ski areas and Blessed Brian ( Malcolm) has a good knowledge of French ski resorts. You can also PM them on this forum site as well if you want more information.A lot can change before 7 th January 2017 and hopefully for the best and if we can get the block in the right place you could end up with a lot of snow in France ,fingers crossed. Anyway , keep coming in with the posts and send some nice pic from Les Arcs 1800  in deep snow cover !

C

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, durhamgrad said:

I am in a similar situation only going to La Plagne 1800 on the 31st December so a week less to play with! I'm keeping the faith though and going for a dumping around the 28th December! Don't ask for charts!! Just keeping positive and will be keeping a close eye on this and model forum! 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm also planning the first trip of the season on the 7th of January so hopefully the snow starts soon. I don't plan on doing any work during January or February so aiming for at least 3 Euro trips and as many day's on the local Scottish mountains as possible. Well thats the plan anyway..........

• Like 2

Posted

I am heading to La Plagne on 23rd December, so even closer. Admit that it looks bad, although I understand that there is plenty of artificial snow down to 1850, although it really is not the same as the real thing.  From the model output this evening, there is a glimmer of hope. I am driving down on 22nd, and was hoping to be battling snow, fog, frost, but it may just be a bit chilly and grey.

Nothing we can do, and on the bright side I don't have to wash up, play charades or fall asleep in front of the Queens speech.

• Like 4

Posted

Sign this morning that the semi permanent euro high could be on the wane.  Let's hope so,I'm off to solden on the 15th jan. Its looking very bare below 2000 metres.  Maybe snow before Christmas. Let's pray.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

Sign this morning that the semi permanent euro high could be on the wane.  Let's hope so,I'm off to solden on the 15th jan. Its looking very bare below 2000 metres.  Maybe snow before Christmas. Let's pray.

Fingers crossed! Does look like there's a bit of disruption, maybe Santa can deliver snow to the alps this year! I've been following Weather to ski for their daily update which is usually pretty good. He usually has it updated by now but looks like he is struggling as an hour or 2 late!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Is there a Santa after all - the first 'proper' Alps-wide snow falling on Xmas Day??

GFS 850 Dec14 for Xmas Day.pngGFS Precip Dec14 for Xmas Day.png

I've been in a state of shock and denial lately, watching all that lovely early November snowfall melt away under a mild high pressure block and thinking "not two seasons running - surely?" Finally today the GFS 0z shows the high pulling away west and the pattern with sufficient amplitude to drive fronts far enough south to reach the Alps. I know, it's one run and it's fantasy island..... but the experts have been talking of developments the other side of the World driving more amplitude around this time, so let's hope it's the sign we've been waiting for and the model runs actually start producing even better charts from here on.

Because like many, I'm off to the slopes in early January (three generations of family off to the low level German resort of Feldberg) and am desperate for it to be snowy! Everything crossed!!

P.S. A warm welcome to @durhamgrad and @hammy_ire. :good:

Edited by Blessed Weather
typo
  • Like 5

Thank for you for the welcome Malcolm!   Models are definitely starting to hint at some snow around Christmas day and beyond, which would mean @TheGate might be digging the car out.  Fingers crossed and in the meantime i'll be doing ski stretches and the yearly watch of Ski with Klammer on VHS....

14th Dec.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Just got this fabulous shot taken yesterday on Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver. That's one of my sons mates airborne doing a Front 5 tail grab, ( I think that's what it is called ) Great shot also of Mount Baker ( peak at 11,000ft ) in the background in Washington State, USA.

C

15540748_10158008869790533_5337328290656206479_o.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

Despite the warm temperatures and snow drought conditions in Val Thorens have been excellent. Colder for last couple of days so the artificial snow makers have been working hard! I must say, this is the place to be for those wanting to make a trip early in the season!

IMG_9836.JPG

• Like 4