Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted

Oh and we're headed to western Austria, Serfaus. The snow earlier in November was good, and above 2000m there's still quite a lot of that around, plus snowmaking is good, but natural snow will be needed to have any chance of having most slopes open I should think. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
26 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Oh and we're headed to western Austria, Serfaus. The snow earlier in November was good, and above 2000m there's still quite a lot of that around, plus snowmaking is good, but natural snow will be needed to have any chance of having most slopes open I should think. 

Super ski ing there. Made my first visit last year. A real gem not really open to the British market but worth the effort to get there. Ranks as one of my favourite medium size ski resorts along with Lake Louise and Obertauren. Really was a nice surprise. Hope the snow is good when you visit.

C

Posted
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Super ski ing there. Made my first visit last year. A real gem not really open to the British market but worth the effort to get there. Ranks as one of my favourite medium size ski resorts along with Lake Louise and Obertauren. Really was a nice surprise. Hope the snow is good when you visit.

C

Yeah, me too! I feel like I've unearthed a gem (obviously this judgement based on everything I read from others), but it would be such a shame if the snow wasnt up to scratch. These warm, dry early-winter synoptics every year are becoming a real pain in the a**e...

You heading anywhere this Christmas/New Year?

Posted
31 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Yeah, me too! I feel like I've unearthed a gem (obviously this judgement based on everything I read from others), but it would be such a shame if the snow wasnt up to scratch. These warm, dry early-winter synoptics every year are becoming a real pain in the a**e...

You will be fine. The runs start at 1400m and many top the 2500m level. So I would rank a high level resort. What impressed me was how well groomed the runs were. Enjoyable cruise ski-ing and well connected lift system. Also some nice bars and eateries in the main village. As I live in the ski resort of Katschberg, most of my ski -ing is on the door step, but I will be taking a week away to Gargellen in the Montafon region and do some off piste ski -ing into Kloster over the Madrisa Mountain into Switzerland, that's weather permitting. Also a few days back to Alpbach with my wife. What date are you going out ?  and where are you staying ?

C

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, wellington boot said:

Three and a half weeks until you go - no need to panic just yet wellington!! Looking around the various resort webcams today, there's lots of snow up the top, and even lower down there appears to be a very solid base to the pistes that will take a lot of melting to completely mess up. And this is maybe the good news - whilst we await the arrival of natural snow, the 9 day forecast for Serfaus shows many days barely above freezing and some bitterly cold nights, so like today, the snow cannons will be blasting away.

Serfaus 9 day temp graph: Serfaus Temps.jpg

Webcam selection today: Serfaus 1 29 Nov.jpgSerfaus 2 29 Nov.jpgSerfaus 3 29 Nov.jpg

Links:

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich/tirol/serfaus/prognose/9-tage

http://www.bergfex.com/serfaus-fiss-ladis/webcams/

• Like 2

Posted

Grr, website went offline and lost all my message...

Gist of it was that I am still hopeful. Certainly not panicking yet. Longer term forecasts are looking a bit more promising now - some suggestion of pattern change, some ppn getting in (even if it all still looks a bit warm). 

That said, I was looking at all those webcams on the resort site and bergfex a few weeks ago, but I've cut back more recently as I fear them becoming views of brown mountainsides...

On 29/11/2016 at 21:56, carinthian said:

You will be fine. The runs start at 1400m and many top the 2500m level. So I would rank a high level resort. What impressed me was how well groomed the runs were. Enjoyable cruise ski-ing and well connected lift system. Also some nice bars and eateries in the main village. As I live in the ski resort of Katschberg, most of my ski -ing is on the door step, but I will be taking a week away to Gargellen in the Montafon region and do some off piste ski -ing into Kloster over the Madrisa Mountain into Switzerland, that's weather permitting. Also a few days back to Alpbach with my wife. What date are you going out ?  and where are you staying ?

C

C

It does sound great, especially for the mix of abilities we have. And the altitude was one of the reasons I went for it, as I've always prioristised snow-sureness, particularly for early trips - just hadn't picked up on the relatively dry climate at the time...!

I envy your location and your skiing options - that all sounds awesome. Do you work in the biz? We're flying out on 23rd and are actually staying in a nice hotel (hopefully) in Fiss. I agonised over which to stay in but ultimately concluded there's not a dramatic difference and both are good bases.

Posted
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 01:04, wellington boot said:

Grr, website went offline and lost all my message...

Gist of it was that I am still hopeful. Certainly not panicking yet. Longer term forecasts are looking a bit more promising now - some suggestion of pattern change, some ppn getting in (even if it all still looks a bit warm). 

That said, I was looking at all those webcams on the resort site and bergfex a few weeks ago, but I've cut back more recently as I fear them becoming views of brown mountainsides...

It does sound great, especially for the mix of abilities we have. And the altitude was one of the reasons I went for it, as I've always prioristised snow-sureness, particularly for early trips - just hadn't picked up on the relatively dry climate at the time...!

I envy your location and your skiing options - that all sounds awesome. Do you work in the biz? We're flying out on 23rd and are actually staying in a nice hotel (hopefully) in Fiss. I agonised over which to stay in but ultimately concluded there's not a dramatic difference and both are good bases.

Hi, no I am now semi retired. Yes , very lucky to have the opportunity to live in such a wonderful part of the world. It certainly feeds my obsession with all things mountain, especially snow, ski-ing, the local pubs. I love the continental climate over here, the summers can get very warm but at altitude rarely gets above 21c but 15 min drive down to the valley often touches  32 c plus. I have a ski pass that covers many resorts nearby , so plenty of nice ski-ing to be had, but I am happiest on the runs around the village. Fiss , is I think the better of the villages especially not having to use the under ground train into Serfaus. It has some nice ski -in/out small hotels. Enjoy your holiday and send some reports and pictures, many on here love to read and view.

C

Posted

This taken yesterday. First runs of the season. Empty slopes, sunshine, frosty pint of beer, nothing better. The main runs complete but topped  with man made snow, so not the best of conditions. Looks le a 10 day snow drought over here so could get worn by next weekend. Hopefully we will see off this Euro High the week after ?

C

15304442_2337477306279246_8327084751373105760_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Bryan Bourner said:

Looks lovely carinthian!

Model runs this morning seem to be suggesting that Sunday may bring a band of precipitation breaking the euro high down. Will keep my fingers crossed!

I hope so Bryan. If ECM is to be correct, sends a polar trough into the Eastern Alps. Forecast 10 to 15 cm of fresh snow . However confidence level is only 30% from the Portal Service. Higher pressure value quickly to take over again but its worth watching for more runs later today if it still goes along with this prog from ECM.

c

ECMOPEU00_168_2.png

My first forecast blog of the season should be up and running tomorrow.

As part last year here Snow Conditions Update from (full analysis on the links provided)

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full and

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 5 DECEMBER 2016

INTRODUCTION It was a great day in the French Alps where a handful of additional resorts were open for skiing under warm, clear blue skies. Montgenevre and Isola 2000 in particular are looking in great shape. Similarly in Austria, it was a glorious sunny day. Lots more resorts are now open, but the lower runs are beginning to suffer slightly at the moment.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK It's great weather in the Alps at the moment for anyone who wants to soak up a few early season rays. The weather across most countries is predominantly sunny, though temperatures are staying cool. Over in the Pyrenees it's a similar story with plenty of sun and blue skies.

• Like 2

General Synoptic Pattern

Charts T+0 to T+48

A lot of High Pressure around the Alps for much of the forecast period, however with the centre location changing the source of the air mass.

Today sees the High Pressure centred over Germany with a cold Northerly flow for Eastern parts of the Alps, but a little milder further west. Over the next few days the High moves further to the east with milder conditions pushing in from the West for all alpine regions.

6 Dec.png6 Dec + 24.png6 Dec + 48.png

Charts T+72 to T+120

By Friday, pressure builds over Southern Europe, with westerly winds continuing to edge mild winds in from the west.
A slight change by Sunday when the High edges further west allowing cooler winds to edge in from the North.

6 Dec + 72.png6 Dec + 96.png6 Dec + 120.png

Precipitation

Looking largely dry until Sunday, with a front set to ledge down from the North with a chance of moderate precipitation in Eastern areas, most especially for Austria.

GFSOPME12_108_49.pngGFSOPME12_132_49.png

The first chart shows total precipitation until Sunday, while the second shows the total precipitation through till Monday.

Freezing Levels

Today 2100-2400m France and Switzerland, 2400m to 2700m most of Austria, 400m to 1500m for east of Austria

Wednesday 2400-3000m France and Switzerland, 1200m to 1800m most of Austria, 300m to 600m far east of Austria

Thursday 3000m generally, 600m to 1500m far east of Austria

Friday 3200-3600m France and Switzerland, 2600m to 3000m Austria

Saturday 3200-3600m generally

Sunday 2600m-3000m France and Italy,2000-2400m most of Switzerland, 1400m to 1800m SE Germany, NE Austria

Summary

Dry and very mild in the west, Mostly dry and generally mild further East.

Outlook
Trying to colder from the East but still looking mostly dry.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, J10 said:

General Synoptic Pattern

Charts T+0 to T+48

A lot of High Pressure around the Alps for much of the forecast period, however with the centre location changing the source of the air mass.

(snipped)

Outlook
Trying to colder from the East but still looking mostly dry.

Let me start my post on a positive note - it's great to have your weekly reports back for another season Julian!! :good:

But on a slightly negative note - could we be heading towards another poor start to the season? I'm not liking the persistant signals from the models for High pressure to dominate - either over Europe or over the UK. Whilst the exact position and orientation could well bring cold to the Alps, it looks (at the mo) to portend a very dry spell with little in the way of the good 'dump' that the Alps now needs. We must hope the coming week sees a change in model output towards a snowier outlook for later this month!

Because with a mild week now coming up and overnight temps not supporting use of snow cannons, it's not a happy sight to see some resorts already struggling to maintain mid mountain & lower pistes:

Kitzbuhel Dec06 Kitzbuhel.jpg Les Deux Alpes Dec 06 Les Deux Alpes.jpg

Saalbach Dec06 Saalbach.jpg Morzine Dec 06 Morzine Sommet du Pleney.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

The piste boys already to go. We need more snow , sooner than later. Nice that it is in the sunshine of Euro high, freezing at night, I would wish it go elsewhere !

C

15027578_568201153390251_5084097806151848053_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Hi guys.

Thanks for the updates. I am due to arrive in Val Thorens this Saturday until Tuesday. Bit concerned about lack of snow over past 2-3 weeks. Also, bit worried about mild temperatures. Is there any chance of an improvement to the short term forecast? Thanks so much

Posted
15 minutes ago, svalji said:

Hi guys.

Thanks for the updates. I am due to arrive in Val Thorens this Saturday until Tuesday. Bit concerned about lack of snow over past 2-3 weeks. Also, bit worried about mild temperatures. Is there any chance of an improvement to the short term forecast? Thanks so much

Hi there, you must be a early bird. Temperature profile around that period would suggest freezing level around 2000m , so you should be ok in Val Thorens with some good glacier ski-ing under deep blue skies I would think . Not the best prospects for snowfall but you probably picked one of the most snow sure resort in the Alps at this time of year. Not sure what the state of the piste will be on the runs to the lower resorts. Have a great time and let us know how it went, at least the beer will taste good in the sunshine 1

C

alpt850.png

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, svalji said:

Hi guys.

Hi svalji. Just a few thoughts from me to add to the above post by @carinthian.

You are fortunate to be heading for the highest ski resort in the Alps! From the webcams today, the skiing looks absolutely wonderful up at that altitude, and the forecast for the next week is a continuation of the freeze/thaw conditions, so I would not expect any notable deterioration this side of your trip.

val_thorens_caron3.jpgval_thorens.jpgval_thorens_caron5.jpg

A look at the forecast from snow-forecast.com actually shows a temperature inversion, so lower slopes are forecast to be colder than those at the top of the mountain that are sat in the warmer upper air wafting over the Alps! Enjoy your trip and if you can, post an on-the-ground update!

Forecast 3,230m Val Thorens Forecast 3230m.jpg and 2,300m Val Thorens Forecast 2300m.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All, Long time lurker, probably first time posting! I'm a coldie and love following these boards, certainly never have the knowledge/confidence to post in the mods board! I am heading for a week skiing in La Plagne from 31 Dec. I know it's impossible to know this early out what conditions will be like. I understand what synoptics are required for Cold in the UK but what should I be looking for in the models to ensure La Plagne gets a good dumping before my trip?!

Many Thanks!

Posted

Welcome to posting on the forum!

In short, any precip and a freezing level of 1500m or less ideally for whole mountain coverage, although with a top of 3000m or so, I'd imagine 2500 or less is a start would be a start for a good amount of terrain.

You can follow the forecasts here btw

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S206~La Plagne;sess=#forecast

And if you fancy some chart watching, there are some Alps ones here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=alp-charts;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
3 hours ago, hammy_ire said:

Thanks Paul...i think to have any chance of a covering we need to get rid of this pesky euro high? 3 weeks is a long time in model watching i guess!

Yep, euro high needs to go otherwise the only effect the freezing level will have is to dictate how often the snow cannons can do thier job. Artificial snow isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. Getting/staying cold enough for the cannons and even just one decent dump of snow before Xmas would keep most people happy. 

Posted

Daughter just sent this picture . Northern Sweden.

C

15284948_1448999988445112_5738515290628964712_n.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Wonderful early season snow conditions continue into this weekend in Whistler BC. All runs well groomed , here picture of Creekside. 9cm top up last night,-12c at Peak this morning and -9c at Roundhouse. When conditions are likely this under Arctic Continental air mass , there are not many places to beat these peaks for Alpine Ski-ing and boarding.

C

15403714_10154341206358402_2072390611416356110_o.jpg

• Like 3