Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

The French press are reporting that Serre-Chevalier is going to open early.

Thanks, I'd missed that. The picture they used in the story though, that was a few days ago and it's not looking quite as nice as that at Serre Ratier at the moment. There's due to be heavy rain/snow moving in tonight and tomorrow but, quite how low the snow line will be is in doubt, with clearer and cooler temps once it clears. 

Out of curiosity I looked at the webcam archives for Boxing Day last year, absolute horror show!

• Like 1

Posted

Foggy and snowy in Cucumelle, while Les Arcs is showing very clearly the amount of snow melt after the snow fest last week.

Screen Shot 11-23-16 at 10.57 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 11-23-16 at 10.59 AM.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 01/11/2016 at 17:51, J10 said:

As we move into November, our thoughts turn to Skiing and snow conditions over the Alps and Pyrenees.

This thread will primarily be focussed on the Alps, however you are more than welcome to discuss conditions further afield, such as Scandinavia, Scotland or even across the pond in USA and Canada.

How about the North Pennines Julian? That well known ski resort of Yadmoss is up and running today, beating many Alpine resorts to it!!
Brilliant!! Wish I was there!! :D

Pictures courtesy of Paul Kingston.

Nov 23 North Pennines Yadmoss.jpgNov 23 North Pennines Yadmoss 2.jpgNov 23 North Pennines Yadmoss 3.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 minutes ago, Bryan Bourner said:

Web cams make for disappointing viewing today with rain to fairly low levels in the 3v. Looks like the snow line is c2400m. A lot of what has fallen already has disappeared.. :nonono:

I can second that. Min +5c last night here at altitude of 1650m. Lifts due to open this weekend. Cannot see that happening even with the arrival of much colder air mass by then, not much snow in the forecast for the next 6 days at least.

C

Posted

A big split here in the Pyrenees. The low over Iberia pumped lots of warm air north to the east however the western region stayed in the cooler conditions and there's been some significant snow in this area. Hautes Pyrenees westwards has the best conditions although a lot of the resorts aren't expected to open until 3rd December.

• Like 2

Posted

I think they'll have some digging to do at Serre Chevalier before they can open the Vallons lift.

5 days ago....

Vallons 20_11_2016.png

This morning...

Vallons 25_11_2016.png

Not so impressive lower down but they do seem to have had a dusting to valley level this morning.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

Can't beat it - being the first one down a slope and leaving a nice carve trail behind you! The Lecht and Cairngorms are open for skiing this weekend.

Nov 25 Lecht and Cairngorms.jpg

EDIT: Saturday morning update by @Norrona2015 over in the Scottish Mountains thread - unfortunately the opening was cancelled due to mild weather.

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted

Hum... not sure about this tweet from Netweather this afternoon declaring "80 cm of snow in Val d'Isere in the last 24 hours"......??

Netweather tweet 26Nov Val d'Isere.jpg

Because the webcam at the 'Front de Neige' this afternoon shows a very different picture! Can you throw any light on this @J10 ?

Val d'Isere piste front 26 Nov.jpg

1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hum... not sure about this tweet from Netweather this afternoon declaring "80 cm of snow in Val d'Isere in the last 24 hours"......??

Netweather tweet 26Nov Val d'Isere.jpg

Because the webcam at the 'Front de Neige' this afternoon shows a very different picture! Can you throw any light on this @J10 ?

Val d'Isere piste front 26 Nov.jpg

It looks as if the snow data came from onthesnow.com and possibly it is reflecting snowfall so far this winter as the operating season has just started.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S483~Val d'Isère;sess=#tab1

There is a lot of snow on the upper slopes, but even then I am not sure this is in the past 24 hrs. But I am only guessing as I am not entirely sure.

Posted
9 hours ago, J10 said:

It looks as if the snow data came from onthesnow.com and possibly it is reflecting snowfall so far this winter as the operating season has just started.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S483~Val d'Isère;sess=#tab1

There is a lot of snow on the upper slopes, but even then I am not sure this is in the past 24 hrs. But I am only guessing as I am not entirely sure.

Thank you Julian. Yes, I think the tweet should have said "recent snow". It is unfortunate that the recent heavy snowfalls have been spoilt on lower slopes by this last week's mild weather. But as you say - higher slopes holding up and several resorts have actually opened early.

Thankfully cold air returns to the Alps from tomorrow, coming down the eastern flank of the High Pressure over the UK. Apart from some light snow as the cold air arrives today and tomorrow, it's not looking like much, if any, precipitation will occur for the rest of the coming week. But at least overnight the temperatures will get low enough to allow snow cannons to operate. Early morning temp charts Mon - Wed this coming week:

Alps Mon 28 Nov.pngAlps Tue 29 Nov.pngAlps Wed 30 Nov.png

Posted

Morning all. A nice sunny start to the day and thankfully the temps dropping back towards freezing mark so we expect little melt from today into next week. The lifts are open on several pistes but with limited runs and its nice to welcome back skiers and boarders on the slopes this morning. We may get some light snowfall later today. So the slopes are fairly empty and time to give the skis a first run of for the season and see how the legs hold up . Happy days are back, I am more excited than a child waiting for Santa to arrive !

C

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. A nice sunny start to the day and thankfully the temps dropping back towards freezing mark so we expect little melt from today into next week. The lifts are open on several pistes but with limited runs and its nice to welcome back skiers and boarders on the slopes this morning. We may get some light snowfall later today. So the slopes are fairly empty and time to give the skis a first run of for the season and see how the legs hold up . Happy days are back, I am more excited than a child waiting for Santa to arrive !

C

No lack of snow in Whistler Backcomb. This picture sent yesterday by a friend of my son out there. A trough deposited a huge amount of snow there, now weakening. One of the great ski/ boarding areas in the world and only 90 mins drive from downtown Vancouver along one of the best scenic routes in the world, sea to sky highway. Lucky folk to live there .

C

15134536_10157770836325576_2891028718903976021_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Bryan Bourner said:

Snow cannons have been on overnight in 3v it seems, but no snow in the forecast for the foreseeable.. come on weather gods..! Give us another dump before Christmas! Please!

I'll happily take it being cold enough for the cannons to run and get the piste bases set up, then it can dump a whole load of natural on top of that before I fly out on the 27th. Surely it can't go the whole of December without a decent dump of snow? But I'm sure I said that to myself last year too.

Posted
On 27/11/2016 at 08:35, Blessed Weather said:

Thank you Julian. Yes, I think the tweet should have said "recent snow". It is unfortunate that the recent heavy snowfalls have been spoilt on lower slopes by this last week's mild weather. But as you say - higher slopes holding up

The data from the resort/on the snow was showing it as having fallen in the last 24 hours at that point. They report last 24 hours, last 48 hours and recent for anything in the last few days (ish) but not in the last 48 hours. It was from the top of the mountain rather than base though. The photo was just a stock one of Val D'Isere rather than trying to show the conditons. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

The data from the resort/on the snow was showing it as having fallen in the last 24 hours at that point. They report last 24 hours, last 48 hours and recent for anything in the last few days (ish) but not in the last 48 hours. It was from the top of the mountain rather than base though. The photo was just a stock one of Val D'Isere rather than trying to show the conditons. 

Many thanks for the explanation Paul. I'm sure you've got more important things to worry about than explaining a tweet, so I'm sorry to have troubled you.

Posted
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I'll happily take it being cold enough for the cannons to run and get the piste bases set up, then it can dump a whole load of natural on top of that before I fly out on the 27th. Surely it can't go the whole of December without a decent dump of snow? But I'm sure I said that to myself last year too.

Evening, certainly cold tonight, temp -12c in village and dew point -20c. Snow cannons on full blast all day. Not a lot of snow in forecast, however we have had snow flurries all day. The good news is the outlook does show a circulation developing and the Alps will be on the cold side of the flow. We will be up and running full time from next Saturday. Nearby Obertauren presently all systems go from last weekend.

C

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's no problem :D

Just amazing to see the start to the season in Whistler this year. 2m+ in the last 7 days!

Certainly ranks as one of the heaviest November falls. Picture from family friend out in Blackcomb.

C

15171183_10157770836340576_7245881937789829098_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Nice to see some of the Serre Chevalier webcams back on line after a few days down. Also nice to see a piste basher out doing it's thing, and if you look behind it there's 4 blokes digging out the 'viewing platform' behind. There's my entertainment for the day primed.

Cucumelle 29_11_2016.png

Edit: Looking at the latest picture, depending on exactly how tall the French guys are, there must be around 4.5 to 5 ft of snow on top of that platform.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted

Argh. Every time the models start showing some promise, as they did yesterday, they snatch it away again.

Awful set of runs this morning. Not a drop of ppn. Temperatures increasing consistently over the 10-16 days shown, massive blobs of increasingly warm high pressure over Europe, some indications of full blown Foehn...

Can't believe this is happening again... Surely it can't just sit there for weeks on end in December once again...? We fly out 23rd btw, so even less time for a big turnaround.

Posted
12 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

We fly out 23rd btw, so even less time for a big turnaround.

Where are you headed?

Even if the length of high pressure on some runs does turn out to be true, I don't see it being that warm. Currently it looks like most of the resorts in the Alps will probably be able to make snow for the next week, and after that is too far ahead for any forecast to be reliable. Anyway, all you need is one big dump and you'll be OK, 22nd or 24th would do, but as I found out 2 yrs ago, preferably not on the day you arrive.

Posted

Yeah that's all true, and I'm not in despair yet. Just dispiriting to see all that high pressure and warm air. Those massive Euro highs are just the hardest setups to shift, and I've seen it so many times where wave after wave of incoming low pressures gets repelled or pushed north. Can take a week of real battering to finally break into such a block, and all the while warm air flows in from the south west...

But yes, plenty of time...just about...and they can make snow for most of this week at least. Although worst case scenario, they make the snow, then the warm weather comes and destroys it again, and suddenly the snowmaking resources are also under threat...