Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere temperature watch - 2016/17

Paul

Posted

tbh, given how weak the vortex and zonal flow is, will be interesting to see how far south and how high up a reversal can get. in addition, not sure how much effect any reversal will have on the trop which already exhibits a neg AO signature. we are already beginning to see the gefs playing with a  more west based -NAO profile - might this be due to immediate effects from a reversal retrogressing the pattern further  ??

• Like 3

Posted

A quick,question from a novice like me. Could such an event not have the same impact as the one in 2009/10 ( I think it was back then ) when a SSW reversed an already established cold NH pattern for our part of the world?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

A quick,question from a novice like me. Could such an event not have the same impact as the one in 2009/10 ( I think it was back then ) when a SSW reversed an already established cold NH pattern for our part of the world?

Winter 62-63 had early Canadian warming and later SSW only reinforced the cold. It will surely depend on other factors but I know Kev Bradshaw has written about SSWs scuppering early cold patterns. To me, this is the early pattern that has usually been harbinger of cold in the UK but every situation is unique in itself.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
12 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Hi all

Does anyone know what happened to chinomaniac?? He used to be posting in this thread so often.

From what I have read on here he is very busy with life and work.

I am sure he will be back soon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
5 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Winter 62-63 had early Canadian warming and later SSW only reinforced the cold. It will surely depend on other factors but I know Kev Bradshaw has written about SSWs scuppering early cold patterns. To me, this is the early pattern that has usually been harbinger of cold in the UK but every situation is unique in itself.

A common occurrence is that these warming events can simply result in a high very close to the UK and even potentially a little east. In late Dec 12 we saw a SSW which simply resulted in a change from a slightly above average cyclonic pattern to a slightly below average anticyclonic pattern after a ~10 day easterly, it was not until wave breaking in late Feb that we got the real action in March. In winter 09 we actually saw a wonderful winter pattern delivering the coldest Dec-Jan in perhaps 15 years before the SSW in early Feb screwed the pattern and we had super mild second half to Feb and a very warm April as the high got shunted a little east but too far south. 

It perhaps depends on the state of the vortex beforehand but if the default pattern is already good then sometimes it can be better to pat the weak vortex softly a few times than have one knock out that disturbs an already good background pattern. 

• Like 2

Posted

Re: post above, I think you are mixing up winter 09/10 and winter 08/09. In late Jan 09 we had a SSW which delivered a cold snowy first half to Feb but a very mild wet second half to the month.

I'm not sure we had a SSW in winter 09/10 from memory. February remained predominantly cold, with the cold lasting well into March, indeed Spring 2010 was preety cold overall. Winter 09/10 overall the coldest in terms of consistency and length since winter 78/79.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Re: post above, I think you are mixing up winter 09/10 and winter 08/09. In late Jan 09 we had a SSW which delivered a cold snowy first half to Feb but a very mild wet second half to the month.

I'm not sure we had a SSW in winter 09/10 from memory. February remained predominantly cold, with the cold lasting well into March, indeed Spring 2010 was preety cold overall. Winter 09/10 overall the coldest in terms of consistency and length since winter 78/79.

Winter 09 did refer to Jan onward, it's how i always describe a winter. We did get a warming in Jan or Feb 10 but i don't know if it was an official SSW. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Martineau calls them Jan - visuals here

http://p-martineau.com/ssw-animations/

Both years, Jan then Feb:

24 Jan 2009

09 Feb 2010

Great page love it ! http://esrl.noaa.gov/csd/groups/csd8/sswcompendium/

Love it when 2009 gets a mention - properly indecent viewing.

• Like 8

Posted
11 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Martineau calls them Jan - visuals here

http://p-martineau.com/ssw-animations/

Both years, Jan then Feb:

24 Jan 2009

09 Feb 2010

Great page love it ! http://esrl.noaa.gov/csd/groups/csd8/sswcompendium/

Love it when 2009 gets a mention - properly indecent viewing.

Great viewing, a wave 2 pincer. 

In terms of what drives the AO and how negative i'm curious, on just about all stratospheric aspects we are at near record low or high values for the time of year (where we want to be), are there any factors that actually suggest we'll see a +AO December or would your bet be on -1< which is what my punt would be based on the values seen. 

Posted

Berlin D10 a hair's breadth away from a reversal. We can go through many a winter without seeing such a chart, certainly at this time of the year!

Let's hope luck is on our side whilst the atmosphere gets all shaken up. 

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 9

Posted
59 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

image.gif

Quick question - given the model is forecasting the upper vortex to be displaced towards Siberia whilst pressure rises at 10hPa towards Alaska/Canada - does that also tend to force the vortex in the troposphere towards Siberia too? If not always, what kind of factors would need considering too? I'd assume the answer is a 'not necessarily' type answer - otherwise warmings would nearly always produce similar broad-scale outcomes at the surface (in terms of where blocking sets up) - but as we've seen to our costs in terms of cold in the past, that varies. Thanks in advance to anyone that answer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

One thing I've been pondering over is whether, if we did see a west-based negative NAO as a result of tropical forcing (of which I'm still a bit skeptical, but not as much as I once was), could the placement of the positive GPH anomaly in the stratosphere as shown by GFS/GEFS and ECM then encourage an eastward trend in the blocking position through the first half of Dec, taking it toward Greenland then Iceland, potentially (eventually) bringing some deeply cold air with it from the Canadian Arctic?

Complications could occur with blocking E/NE of the UK though given the unusually weak zonal state and scope for the tropospheric vortex to drift to more southern parts of Eurasia through early Dec. Hard to see the southerly shifted jet romping into the UK such as some recent GFS runs have shown. The 06z is closer to showing what I mean.

• Like 2