Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere temperature watch - 2016/17

Paul

Posted
24 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Mounting evidence for the excessively warm Arctic troposphere altering the typical seasonal progression as even near-average amounts of wave breaking have greater resources to work with. Coupled with reduced trop-strat heat transfer during quiet WAFz periods due to GHG blanket, perhaps a great many of our winters will tend to see a vortex that gets very strong, very fast, then takes a hammering later in the season.

All hypothetical though, and I shall (at least) wait and see what happens in an E-QBO, low solar activity autumn-winter before drawing conclusions.

Since you’ve mentioned it, are there any hints/forecasts about when we can expect an easterly QBO to develop?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

An E QBO..... I wonder when we'll see one of those again? The W QBO not only seems to be surviving beyond its due date but positively thriving! I have to wonder just how much energy the PV , especially when displaced, places into the the flow of W QBO? Could low Arctic Sea ice be leading to an enhanced W QBO? did the last couple of E QBO look ok or did they show 'oddities' over their period?

As for low solar E QBO? surely QBO has to flip soon?

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

An E QBO..... I wonder when we'll see one of those again? The W QBO not only seems to be surviving beyond its due date but positively thriving! I have to wonder just how much energy the PV , especially when displaced, places into the the flow of W QBO? Could low Arctic Sea ice be leading to an enhanced W QBO? did the last couple of E QBO look ok or did they show 'oddities' over their period?

As for low solar E QBO? surely QBO has to flip soon?

Wouldn't be surprised to see it go neutral over summer.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see it go neutral over summer.

We are nearly there at 10hPa :)

.... and slowly reducing below that level - bar upsets like last year, it should be east by the business end of the year.

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/singapore2016.dat

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/met/ag/strat/produkte/qbo/singapore2017.dat

Just to add the last four solar rotations - geomag remaining low but check out the years on the link below to see what it looked like during and after minimum in 2008 and 2009

ql_musiyymm.gif

http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kp/index.html

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Check this out. Best strat data compendium ever!

• Like 5

Posted

So how sure are we that we will see QBO finally turn easterly?

I am still not clear on what we believe caused it to remain westerly and , to me, conditions are just as , if not more, extreme than we saw this time last year ?

I spend a lot of time observing the changes across the far north and we have never seen as much energy entering the Arctic basin as we have since October and impacts of this have been obvious in the reluctance of the PV to form up this year and it 'roaming' around the peripheries never mind the 'on /off' SSW forecasts we have seen through this season. If WACCy weather impacts are a part of what 'encouraged' the QBO to remain westerly then those forcings are at their strongest yet measured over this winter.

Back to the PV. If this terrible winter over the Basin is anything to go by then I do not see any meaningful rebuild of a single PV over the pole prior to the final warming. I think we will see a struggling vortex just give up the ghost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

So is it the beginning of the end then or is it just a one off.
Or will weather patterns revert to "normal".

Has the balance tipped over the point in regards to more and more ice melt and no ice.

Edited by seaside 60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

So how sure are we that we will see QBO finally turn easterly?

I am still not clear on what we believe caused it to remain westerly and , to me, conditions are just as , if not more, extreme than we saw this time last year ?

I spend a lot of time observing the changes across the far north and we have never seen as much energy entering the Arctic basin as we have since October and impacts of this have been obvious in the reluctance of the PV to form up this year and it 'roaming' around the peripheries never mind the 'on /off' SSW forecasts we have seen through this season. If WACCy weather impacts are a part of what 'encouraged' the QBO to remain westerly then those forcings are at their strongest yet measured over this winter.

Back to the PV. If this terrible winter over the Basin is anything to go by then I do not see any meaningful rebuild of a single PV over the pole prior to the final warming. I think we will see a struggling vortex just give up the ghost!

I did see a suggestion once that the unusually strong and central-heavy El Nino was a key player in causing the QBO to stay westerly, with evidence that the 1998 event came close to doing the same or at least slowed down the rate of transition to easterly.

Beats me where it was that I saw that... there's far too much information in my life :fool:

• Like 1

Posted

I think people get carried away, thinking the SPV is gone, when looking at only the 10mb temperature plots. It is in a very healthy state currently....

6e4bb452d3914fdc33a76042073f0cbd.gif

Forecast is for another displacement episode at the end of the GFS run - almost an end of January redux ...

be9e711a48c3448063f9ef28b731ad7c.gif

@Singularity - the papers/write ups you refer to are near the end of the previous stratosphere thread. One heavily pointed to a super Nino connection - another said that the signal was not of tropical origin, rather from mid latitude wave activity. I don't see any anomaly during the '97 -'98 progression.

qbo.jpg

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

The QBO in its westerly phase looks like it has in the past taken some persuading to flip if the graph that Nouska is anything to go by. Not sure what is west and what colour is East. But both can be stubborn to let go of the reins. 

Edited by snowbunting

Posted

As a species we rely heavily upon a small number of growing regions and any 'multiple hit' on these areas will drive instant social response....... it's not all about a WACCy driven cold plunge and the price of courgettes...... it is deadly serious.

Agreed. Peoples attitudes to resources need to change too. We are not living in a sustainable manner. But that is by the by and for another forum. There is little doubt that the what hapoens in the stratosphere permiates down through the troposphere and eventually oceans. 

• Like 4

Posted

Well I'm not moving on my take on things. what just happened was weak and more a displacement than a true SSW. This will continue on until another early strong final warming in 9 or 10 days? Could we be blighted with a cold March and some last gasp snow for folks?

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Well I'm not moving on my take on things. what just happened was weak and more a displacement than a true SSW. This will continue on until another early strong final warming in 9 or 10 days? Could we be blighted with a cold March and some last gasp snow for folks?

It seems to be the pattern of things last few Springs. A cold March is a dry sunny March for us in the western isles. So I wont grumble. 

Posted

Hi S.B.!

I'm waiting on the QBO to see if it will flip easterly this time. Mainly as I feel the push to keep it easterly is coming from energies originating in the far north. If this is correct then this years Final warming will be of similar impact to last years ( and just as early?) .... I wonder if we'll have anomalous ozone destruction over us this time around? I do wish you a lovely spring with plenty of those air masses that bring that 'photographic light' with them!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snowbunting said:

The QBO in its westerly phase looks like it has in the past taken some persuading to flip if the graph that Nouska is anything to go by. Not sure what is west and what colour is East. But both can be stubborn to let go of the reins. 

Red is west, the stronger easterly phase is blue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Ian F yesterday

By late Feb a strong signal for stratospheric warming, but no sign in GloSea that it will influence troposphere & thus of little value to provide predictions on any (if any) effect on UK weather. Early March looking milder/wetter, but tentative signal

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
2 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Hi S.B.!

I'm waiting on the QBO to see if it will flip easterly this time. Mainly as I feel the push to keep it easterly is coming from energies originating in the far north. If this is correct then this years Final warming will be of similar impact to last years ( and just as early?) .... I wonder if we'll have anomalous ozone destruction over us this time around? I do wish you a lovely spring with plenty of those air masses that bring that 'photographic light' with them!

Thanku! An easterly flip must be imminant.  The GFS is picking up Nly outbreaks now. Repeat and Rinse of 2006 perhaps. Todays weather. Long may it last!

20170211_111931.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Ian F yesterday

By late Feb a strong signal for stratospheric warming, but no sign in GloSea that it will influence troposphere & thus of little value to provide predictions on any (if any) effect on UK weather. Early March looking milder/wetter, but tentative signal

We won't have to wait until March for the milder weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure if this will constitute a SSW event but as greywolf has suggested before the last warming event obliterates the polar vortex. Not sure of the ramifications yet. I suspect a repeat of 2013... . No early warmth though no storms either with late lambing snow possible.

00_237_arctic10.png

00_360_arctic10.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
On 2/7/2017 at 19:25, iapennell said:

@Weather-history; Certainly for the north and west of Britain it does not seem to have been a cold winter to date. Where I live in the North Pennines I am yet to see the temperature drop below -5C (unusual for us at over 400 metres above sea-level not to get below this temperature) and we have only had 8 cm of snow-cover at most. The high-pressure systems this winter have tended to be over Europe, sometimes extending across the South and this is not a good position for very cold conditions with hard-frosts for the North Pennines. This part of the country has often had mild air off the North Atlantic whilst the South East has had dry cold and frosty weather under high-pressure.

That said, the (predicted) circulation far aloft over the Arctic and sub-arctic gives more grounds for optimism (as regards cold weather and snow) over the next fortnight and certainly for those of us living in the north of England the longer-term forecast charts (which have strong high-pressure over Scandinavia) there are prospects for the coldest weather this winter to date. In early January the predicted mean winds at 10 mb were over 30 m/s (67 mph or more) along 60N and the strong westerly QBO high over the Equator looked like it might help maintain the strong upper flow; thanks to upwards wave activity over the tropics associated with convective disturbances (leading to subsidence and warming in the Arctic Stratosphere) since early January the 10 mb level westerlies averaged along 60N are now much weaker ( and predicted to remain so) leading to the surface synoptic set-up with high-pressure over Scandinavia expected this week. if it comes off I, for one, will be quite chuffed!  

It would seem that the dramatic weakening of the Westerlies of the sub-arctic Stratosphere at the start of February has not amounted to much; we have had a few days of easterly winds but no real low temperatures and snow (only got to -2C where I live in the North Pennines). Other factors, perhaps the unusual warmth of the far NE Atlantic and the effects of the strong Westerly QBO phase have meant that pressure has not remained high enough for long enough to the north of Britain to deliver real cold air to the entire country. However, predicted polar stratospheric warming at the 10 mb level is predicted to lead to a possible reversal of stratospheric Westerlies over the sub-arctic near the end of this month, vis:

Z_temp_10hpa_288.png

Lets see if this can result in some real cold-weather synopsis in early March 2017! If this month is anything to go by the effects of the unusual warmth of the far NE Atlantic and Westerly QBO (by then combined with the strengthening sunshine and lengthening days of March) could well mean persistent high-pressure in mid-latitudes- i.e. over Europe with lower pressure over the warmer far NE Atlantic leading to quite benign conditions instead. We shall see.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
On 2/10/2017 at 16:49, Johnp said:

Why has the Strat thread morphed into a tiresome climate change thread?

@Johnp; I am sure it is not the intention of most of the weather-enthusiasts posting on the Stratospheric Watch thread to talk specifically about climate change.

That said, any serious discussion about Stratospheric temperature and wind-patterns (which all have a major bearing on conditions down below) is going to involve those factors that are a major influence on the Stratosphere in such discussions. Examples include El Nino/La Nina which cause tropical convection anomalies and different levels of wave activity to reach the Stratosphere; gravity waves are caused by strong winds blowing over mountain ranges and these impact the Stratosphere; sunspot activity affects the magnetic field and the interaction with the magnetosphere results in an intensification of the Stratospheric polar vortex and factors such as ozone concentrations, dust from volcanoes, etc affect temperatures in the Stratosphere because more solar energy is absorbed and that, too, will affect wind-patterns. Atmospheric tidal influences from the Moon and the Sun also have a (small) effect on the Stratosphere, as do meteorites and atmospheric out-gassing to space (though again these effects are usually very small).

Last but not least the large-scale atmospheric circulation of the underlying troposphere has an impact further up- extensive easterlies in the upper atmosphere over lower latitudes would slow down (and possibly reverse) Stratospheric Westerlies above them and this effect would spread into higher (and lower) latitudes.

I hope that this answers your query.  

• Like 1

Posted
On 10. 2. 2017 at 17:49, Johnp said:

Why has the Strat thread morphed into a tiresome climate change thread?

Not just this, but a lot of the times when I get the notifications in my inbox, it looks like a twitter feed. 

But there are some brilliant posts still to be found.

• Like 1