Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere temperature watch - 2016/17

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3s/1478101037778.pdf yet another forecast for a double sided winter. First part more chance for cold, negative NAO, second part probably warmer with postive NAO.

The assumptions made regarding the atmospheric response to La Niña may prove unwise... but it's impossible to be certain of that - it just means even lower confidence than usual. Delightful isn't it? (!)

• Like 3

Posted

steady as she goes matt

interesting re a ssw

under normal circumstance, we expect an ssw to reverse the flow and bring sudden changes, sometimes quick response and then the lagged propagation down to the trop from the upper strat. 

however, we don't have a strong vortex to begin with so i can't see it's particularly important to get a reversal. just more wave breaking to keep the fellow stuck at 40/50N and above 10hpa will suffice. The trop can continue to play its own tune.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, MattHugo said:

Just a quick one, but the below images are being posted sort as a reference for moving forward to see if they actually verify towards the end of November. The charts from Hannah's site have shown a zonal wind at or below 0 before, but as of yet that clearly hasn't happened. Ignoring the GFS DET run image, for now, and looking more at the GEFS graph, with the exception of around 4 or 5 members, most show zonal winds reversing and dropping below 0 towards the end of the month. Equally looking at the 00Z GFS charts at 10hpa and 30hpa then that is one poorly start vortex at the end of the run, especially at 30hpa it is barely present, but even at 10hpa the large area of higher heights over the pole is telling as is the signal for warming over Russia and Asia, this perhaps directly related to the short-term and on-going development of higher pressure over E Europe and W Russia. Let's see if these charts verify, but whilst a late November SSW is indeed rare and I still think it won't happen just yet, there is most definitely scope for the vortex to get 'properly' ripped apart into December and this is in-keeping with longer term developments and thoughts over the blocked regime being dominant through December as a whole...FYI the Netweather winter forecast is coming along nicely and myself and Tony (Lorenzo) will have this finished by no later than the 25th November.

Regards, Matt.

modelanalysis.PNG.png

modelanalysis1.png

modelanalysis2.PNG

Hi Matt, with reference to the Net weather Winter forecast !!!!, any clues to how cold and snowy it is likely to be

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Really interesting reading. Thanks Matt. Cannot wait for the LRF from you and Tony. I am just a mere avid amatuer at forecasting but your thoughts reflect my own. Nly blocking will prevail and this winter will be very different to the last two winters here in the Western Isles. 

• Like 2

Posted

Here's a very good analysis of QBO phase relationship to cold CET winter months - written by Global Warming, the Weather Outlook's CET competition organiser. It also has a relevance to postings in the forecast thread from @iapennell.

Perhaps it is no co-incidence we are seeing a late November 2010 redux in some NWP outlook.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&m=838758#post838758

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It's quite notable to see the mean zonal winds still forecasted to remain well below normal.

Below is the graph and days 5/10 ECM forecasts

fluxes.gifecmwfzm_u_f120.gifecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

The extent top to bottom of the -ve anomalies from 50N to the Pole is quite striking.It's little wonder that 500hPa modeling is showing such a disrupted jet stream.

• Like 6

Posted
26 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

It's quite notable to see the mean zonal winds still forecasted to remain well below normal.

Below is the graph and days 5/10 ECM forecasts

fluxes.gifecmwfzm_u_f120.gifecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

The extent top to bottom of the -ve anomalies from 50N to the Pole is quite striking.It's little wonder that 500hPa modeling is showing such a disrupted jet stream.

I really wonder what November 62 and 78 looked like

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
7 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

I really wonder what November 62 and 78 looked like

Interestingly there were Canadian warmings early on in both those years 

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/northpole/index.html

so i would imagine the vortex was undermined going into Winter.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Posted
35 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

These are from 20th Nov 1962, they will disappear quickly though as I can never get these charts to stick, so heres the link, you can order lots of different variables on these maps, I love playing about with these but as I say, I cant usually post them as they disappear.

I've saved your images on Imgur. Links below if you want to change them in your post.

http://i.imgur.com/MvarTwE.gif

http://i.imgur.com/uOvSlrU.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Hi Guys, some excellent reading in here and over on the model thread as always. However, the colour charts depicting the strat vortex (below) completely stump me. I wonder is there any where I could find a blog/article that explains how to interpret them? 

IMG_20161115_104944.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Ah right, cheers MS. Looking at it now in a whole new way! So a raging vortex would have lots of yellow/reds from sea level right up to the top of the atmosphere on the right hand side with blues in the centre? 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Ah right, cheers MS. Looking at it now in a whole new way! So a raging vortex would have lots of yellow/reds from sea level right up to the top of the atmosphere on the right hand side with blues in the centre? 

Not exactly but here is last december's chap

IMG_4615.PNG

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Sperrin, the X axis is the degree of latitude, so 0 is the equator and 90 the North Pole. The Y axis is from sea level (1000mb) right up through the atmosphere to 0mb pressure. The colours show the zonal speed at each level and whether they are positive zonal winds (red) or negative zonal winds (blue).

Therefore, if you look at 90 degrees North, it shows the zonal winds have reversed pretty much all the way through the atmosphere, this is a sign of a very weak polar vortex, you would normally expect deep reds at this time of the year.

Thanks!  I finally understand these damn charts now!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Not exactly but here is last december's chap

IMG_4615.PNG

Ohh the stuff of nightmares that!...sends shudders down my spine at the thoughts and memories of last December all orchestrated, well primarily at least, by the 'raging beast' of Dec 15!

:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Always good to see this going in the right direction. A bit of a clumsy tool I guess, but gives an overall feel for vortex happiness. 

pole30_nh.gif

On 11/3/2016 at 09:30, Glacier Point said:

OK, more precisely, NOx pulled down from the layers above which bond with O3 and facilitate additional complexes with chlorine and bromine both of which result in an endothermic reaction resulting in cooling.

NOx is a catalyst for O3/O2/O cycling, it doesn't permanently bond and it is also predominantly a null cycle involving no net O3 change with only a small fraction of ozone lost (via NO+O3 → NO2+O2 → NO2+O → NO+O2)  which requires free oxygen radicals produced by photolysis i.e. UV from sunlight - very little in polar night. Air pulled down from upper layers brings down increased ozone from the mid-latitudes in any case and max O3 typically reached towards the end of the winter. Chlorine and bromine remain overwhelmingly in unreactive reservoir forms until the presence of PSCs (polar stratospheric clouds) and water vapour aerosols form at already very low temperatures, typically below 195-198K (-78/-75°C) (with then reaction with the returning spring sunlight forming the basis of ozone hole theory). Endothermic reactions also need to be considered as unfavourable as requiring energy rather than producing cooling. The temperature of the vortex is a balance between radiative cooling exceeding solar warming (diabatic), causing the air to sink which produces some adiabatic counter warming with further adiabatic warming from wave driving. A reference which quantifies the impact of endothermic cooling would be welcome, but searches for such diabatic chemical kinetics is proving fruitless.

• Like 4