Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere temperature watch - 2016/17

Paul

Posted

as would be expected, vortex at the very top ramping up to 60m/s by day10 but with it displaced at around 40N, will be interesting to see what follows. some wave 2 activity would be nice............

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

as would be expected, vortex at the very top ramping up to 60m/s by day10 but with it displaced at around 40N, will be interesting to see what follows. some wave 2 activity would be nice............

Indeed, im watching for displacement blue  - interesting few days coming up!

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Little bit of an uptick and attempt to get in gear, still refusing to commit..

u_65N_10hpa.png

I'm a bit rusy with my maths and Fourier but it seems there is decelerating wave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

ECM 12z op develops a split vortex (n Siberian master and smaller centre  e of Greenland) by day 9 up to 30 hpa

I jumped out of my chair and shouted 'Aha!' when that uploaded; I've lately been quite entranced by the idea of the N. Eurasian blocking being able to hold firm as the vortex falls apart around it. ECM hinted at this a couple of days ago but then produced a couple of runs with a deep low powering through Svalbard and flattening the N. Eurasian ridge.

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, Glacier Point said:

.. Think we may be talking about wave 2 in the coming weeks. Latest run of modelling builds mid tropospheric heights over Eastern Europe / western Russia in the week 2 and 3 period. That's a near perfect amplitude for wave flux into the polar stratosphere.

latest op gfs probably jumping the gun a bit, but you can appreciate where it's getting its signal from.

With the changes in the atmospheric arrangement marked by GLAAM rising fully into positive territory (right in the face of the oceanic setup), it seems we're making a short term cold weather sacrifice for a long-term gain. Given the positioning that we're at in time, I've no quarrel with that :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Cohen tweet with a forecast of increased poleward heat flux around 18/19th Nov, hopefully further weakening the polar vortex:

Cohen heat flux tweet 10 Nov.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 09/11/2016 at 18:03, northwestsnow said:

Definite signs of a drop in temps now -

pole30_nh.gif

Still above the norm but perhaps reflected in the NWP outputs showing a stronger PV over Greenland...

There is an uptick on the 10 hpa though northwestsnow,will see tomorrow if this gains further.

pole10_nh.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Cohen tweet with a forecast of increased poleward heat flux around 18/19th Nov, hopefully further weakening the polar vortex:

Cohen heat flux tweet 10 Nov.jpg

Good signs indeed. I wonder if that plot is taken from an ensemble mean or just the det. run?

The models really do have their work cut out for them; it's one thing figuring out how an organised vortex might displace or split in response to heat fluxes, but to figure out how an already highly disorganised vortex will move about... I suppose it could be like trying to resolve several vortexes at once!

Despite the differences in situation, we seem to be witnessing the usual model behaviour in terms of how they treat blocking signals i.e. "it's there, I know it, but I've only the vaguest idea when it will actually manifest!"

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Anyone have any verification stats for the upper strat 

just dug out some screenshots for day 10 ECM forecast for Nov 2 and they really were spot on for 10,30 and 50 hpa

Not sure if you might find something in amongst this lot.

http://www.ecmwf.int/sites/default/files/elibrary/2015/15275-evaluation-ecmwf-forecasts-including-2014-2015-upgrades.pdf

Posted
20 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3s/1478101037778.pdf yet another forecast for a double sided winter. First part more chance for cold, negative NAO, second part probably warmer with postive NAO.

Is he a meteorologist?

Looking at this, it wouldn't take a huge shift in the pattern to make Jan and Feb more promising as it seems to keep low pressure to the South and high over Scandinavia.

• Like 2

Posted

Both the 0z and 6z gfs look similar in the final stages with the main vortex in Siberia. Unfortunately, a secondary one is left around Greenland which we could do without.

• Like 1