Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Mountain snowfall from 2016 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

I think there may be a scottish mountain snowfall thread, but can't find it, however, thought it a good time to start one for the UK  as a whole as we enter the start of the next winter season.

Looking at the mountain forecasts, ground above 900 metres in the Highlands should see its first proper snowfalls of the season next week, perhaps with decent covering on the highest ground. Nothing to unusual, but a sign of things to come.

The very highest tops of the Lakeland fells will see some sleet on Tuesday and perhaps a fleeting snowflake or two.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Great idea starting this thread! Here's hoping it's swamped with posts as we move into winter. If we get any snow on the Suffolk peaks I'll post some pics!! :laugh:

More seriously, look carefully at the charts for tomorrow (Tues 18th Oct) and they are showing some snow for the tops of the Scottish mountains. This is supported by the Cairngorm Mountain website forecast. The webcam's not working this morning - hope they fix it so we can check! 

Arpege Arpege precip Tue 18Oct 09.00.png Euro4 Euro4 Precip Tues 18Oct 06.00.gif

Cairngorm Forecast for Tues 18th midday "Light Snow" Cairngorm Forecast Tues 18Oct.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Met office are tweeting snow for Scottish mountains tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Saw a post on facebook from the Glencoe ski resort people, looks like they had a dusting overnight.

Glencoe webcams

It seems that the Carngorm mountain webcam is not working (as of typing) it does look 4c cooler there than Glencoe.

Edited by Rich_Clements

Posted

Lovely shot from the webcam at Loch Morlich looking towards the Cairngorms earlier this morning. Nice covering on the tops.

Loch Morlich & Cairngorm Tues 18Oct.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Worth resurrecting this thread given the strong potential for some high level snow over the next 2-3 days. Forecast for Lake District is snow above roughly 600 metres, whether anything settles to any great extent is questionable,but uppers will certainly be conducive come Sunday. Much will depend on the intensity of precipitation, the more intense the greater evaporative cooling effect. For those venturing onto Helvellyn and Scafell this weekend, you may get a snowy surprise. Typically the first proper covering on the high fells occurs by mid November, but in recent years there has been little in the way of snow until late November/early December.

Its bucketing it down here right now and its gone very dark, a true November late afternoon - it feels every bit like mid December, and I suspect snow will be falling at around 750m at least - might awake to the first dusting of the season. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Worth resurrecting this thread given the strong potential for some high level snow over the next 2-3 days. Forecast for Lake District is snow above roughly 600 metres, whether anything settles to any great extent is questionable,but uppers will certainly be conducive come Sunday. Much will depend on the intensity of precipitation, the more intense the greater evaporative cooling effect. For those venturing onto Helvellyn and Scafell this weekend, you may get a snowy surprise. Typically the first proper covering on the high fells occurs by mid November, but in recent years there has been little in the way of snow until late November/early December.

Its bucketing it down here right now and its gone very dark, a true November late afternoon - it feels every bit like mid December, and I suspect snow will be falling at around 750m at least - might awake to the first dusting of the season. 

Saw Helvellyn during a brief clear spell today, nice covering of snow above 700m. I've now moved near Kendal with a distant view of the central fells, we'll see how they look in the morning. 

Posted

Good to hear your report Mountain snow - if ever a thread suited to your name.. Would be good to know where exactly you are located. Will also be good to compare notes throughout the coming winter season, given our relative proximity.. I'm often in the north of england thread rather than NW.

I can't see Helvellyn from my window, but can see the central fells from Coniston old man through to Langdale pikes very well, including Scafells, Bowfell and Crinkle Crags However, conditions on the eastern fells can be very different to the central fells, often Helvellyn and High Street catch snow from easterly/northeasterly airstreams when the central fells have nothing, on other occasions the central fells can catch snow when the eastern fells don't. Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread for the lakeland/cumbrian fells..

Posted

It's going to be snowy on the tops of the Cairngorms this weekend and into early next week. And a wee bit cold and blowy too! Euro4 suggesting the Pennines and North York Moors will see some accumulations too. Overnight tonight and into Sunday looks like the snowiest period:

Euro4 snowfall Sunday 00.00 Euro4 Precip Sun 06 00.00.gif Sunday 12.00 Euro4 Precip Sun 06 12.00.gif

Euro4 snow accumulation this weekend Euro4 Snow Accum Sat 05 - Sun 06 Nov 2016.gif

Forecasts for Cairngorm summit: :cold:

Today -3C heavy snow Cairngorm Summit Forecast Sat 05 Nov.jpg Sunday -4C heavy snow Cairngorm Forecast Sun 06 Nov 2016.jpg

Here's a couple of webcam shots of the Cairngorms this morning. (There are a couple of webcams up in the mountains themselves, but they don't seem to update very often). I'll revisit the webcams on Sunday afternoon when hopefully they'll be showing lots of white!

View from Loch Morlich Cairngorm from Loch Morlich Sat 05Nov.jpg From Inverdruie Cairngorm from Inverdruie Sat 05Nov.jpg

Posted

Snow cover on the high tops roughly 800m mark, clear to see on Scafell, Bowfell. More snow expected tomorrow, heaviest for the eastern fells, could be a cover down to 500m. Winter has arrived in the fells. Significant wind chill.

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Snow cover on the high tops roughly 800m mark, clear to see on Scafell, Bowfell. More snow expected tomorrow, heaviest for the eastern fells, could be a cover down to 500m. Winter has arrived in the fells. Significant wind chill.

Snow on the top of Skiddaw too. The view from Keswick:

Skiddaw 05 Nov 2016 13.23.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thewatermill/status/794867245197488128/photo/1

Snow well down the hills in Perthshire this morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Posted

Good picture of Helvellyn. Suspect there is more snow today, and a bit lower down as well. Tuesday looks like delivering a widespread heavy snowfall event for the fells, an appreciable amount down to modest levels - perhaps even some patchy cover around 350-400m mark. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A93 snow gates shut for a time today in the Glenshee area. A939 Lecht road also closed.

• Like 3

Posted

For the last sveral hours there's been a 'Cairngorm streamer' coming in off the North Sea. Starting to ease this evening, but there's been a mountain peak or three in it's path that's received a nice fall of snow this afternoon!

Snap-shot at 17.05 Cairngorm 'streamer' Sun 06 Nov.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Norrance said:

A93 snow gates shut for a time today in the Glenshee area. A939 Lecht road also closed.

I stayed in Braemar this time 2 years ago, and there was only a little bit of snow above 900 metres, which quickly thawed and it was generally very mild and wet thereafter. Good job I hadn't planned a similiar trip this time this year.

Posted

Yorkshire Dales today. With acknowledgement to A B Armstrong http://www.ingleboroughwebcam.co.uk/

Yorkshire Dales 09 Nov 2016.jpg

Posted

Pity all the widespread decent cover we have right now will be washed away come the weekend, was hoping for the first winter wonderland walk of the season. Alas will have to wait a bit longer. Usually experience one such fell walk by end of November in an average year, even last November the fells received a decent fall in the third weekend, but then had to wait until mid Jan for the next.. gosh what a poor start to the season it was last year. Hoping for much better fayre this side of Christmas.

In the meantime, tomorrow but more so Friday look fairly decent days for anyone wanting to test out their new winter gear, crampons etc.. and get a taste for the winter season ahead, snow will hold firm above about 500 metres I suspect, with very decent hard snow conditions on Friday thanks to freeze/thaw action through the next 36 hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Glencoe is looking in great shape for a prompt start for the Scottish ski season.  I'll be there myself at Christmas, can't wait!!!!

.  Glencoe.jpg

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Glencoe is looking in great shape for a prompt start for the Scottish ski season.  I'll be there myself at Christmas, can't wait!!!!

.  Glencoe.jpg

There has been some snowfall in the West but over the last few days the Cairngorms have taken the brunt of it with heavy snowfall and drifting. Quite a few pictures on Winterhighland show the difference. The snow patches on Braeriach will be well and truly buried but the new snow in the West could yet melt.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=11551