Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will This Winter be like 1947 / 1963 ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I wish this country would get to the state where we can just deal with snow. Move it out the way, drive properly, or just stay at home - it's really not difficult.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Looking at the charts from 62/63 it's been pointed out that present synoptics are very similar to those back then.  Ironically the present international situation mirrors that of October 1962 so yes, history might well be repeating itself.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

We certainly had some pea-soupers back in November ' 62? ?

Posted

Just out of curiosity (because I can't actually remember) did we have a thread titled the same last year or any previous year for that matter? Because if we didn't either it's a curious and good omen that such a thread only started this year (maybe hence forth such a thread would be titled 'Will this Winter be like 1947 / 1963 / 2016-2017) or this will become a common yearly thread every year until such occurs. However being as (I think though I'm not sure) this is the first year (call me superstitious if you will) such a thread has arisen gives me a feeling (no guarantees mind) that this Winter could be of a similarly epic nature. Though of course if we have had this same titled thread in the past it can't mean anything. Now that's what I call clutching at straws :D. Though I'll tell you something strange that happened to me before (don't really know whether to take it seriously and could be nothing more than coincidence) I remember a few weeks before the cold spell of Nov/Dec 2010, I had a dream that, that year we would have a cold and snowy Christmas. Also in February 2013 I was watching an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers'. During that episode there was a CGI demonstration of a stopped truck, which showed the potential effects of a raging blizzard on a truck, causing it to be engulfed by snow and trapped. I remember at the time having this very strange feeling come over me, like similar real life scenes would occur in this country in the not too distant future. It felt odd though I didn't give it to much attention at first. But in a matter of weeks in March 2013 there was indeed such scenes (especially on the news reports from Cumbria with trapped snow gritters and such) when the country experienced it's first nationwide blizzards in years. I don't think about this too often but when I do it still feels unexplainably strange (and I don't know whether to believe I had some strange psychic experience (I'm not even sure I believe such things) or whether it was simply the most bizarre coincidence I've ever encountered. I've had nothing on that level concerning this Winter mind, but I am starting to wonder whether the title of this thread in itself is something of a foretelling. This sounds crazy I know but it's something that was going through my mind, so I thought I'd put it out there. Make of it what you will, though I'm not sure myself even.

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Just out of curiosity (because I can't actually remember) did we have a thread titled the same last year or any previous year for that matter? Because if we didn't either it's a curious and good omen that such a thread only started this year (maybe hence forth such a thread would be titled 'Will this Winter be like 1947 / 1963 / 2016-2017) or this will become a common yearly thread every year until such occurs. However being as (I think though I'm not sure) this is the first year (call me superstitious if you will) such a thread has arisen gives me a feeling (no guarantees mind) that this Winter could be of a similarly epic nature. Though of course if we have had this same titled thread in the past it can't mean anything. Now that's what I call clutching at straws :D. Though I'll tell you something strange that happened to me before (don't really know whether to take it seriously and could be nothing more than coincidence) I remember a few weeks before the cold spell of Nov/Dec 2010, I had a dream that, that year we would have a cold and snowy Christmas. Also in February 2013 I was watching an episode of 'Ice Road Truckers'. During that episode there was a CGI demonstration of a stopped truck, which showed the potential effects of a raging blizzard on a truck, causing it to be engulfed by snow and trapped. I remember at the time having this very strange feeling come over me, like similar real life scenes would occur in this country in the not too distant future. It felt odd though I didn't give it to much attention at first. But in a matter of weeks in March 2013 there was indeed such scenes (especially on the news reports from Cumbria with trapped snow gritters and such) when the country experienced it's first nationwide blizzards in years. I don't think about this too often but when I do it still feels unexplainably strange (and I don't know whether to believe I had some strange psychic experience (I'm not even sure I believe such things) or whether it was simply the most bizarre coincidence I've ever encountered. I've had nothing on that level concerning this Winter mind, but I am starting to wonder whether the title of this thread in itself is something of a foretelling. This sounds crazy I know but it's something that was going through my mind, so I thought I'd put it out there. Make of it what you will, though I'm not sure myself even.

From a general perspective the blocked pattern of October certainly is raising eyebrows as to future prospects. The last 3 winters have been Atlantic based and the last 3 years have been mostly Atlantic based with many months above average temperature. It must be about time for a continental influence eventually and a run of cooler months. 2010 was the last proper cold year. What's worrying is that since 1993ish the years have seen a real warming trend though. Anyhow, we are declining to solar minimum:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
On 10/9/2016 at 00:22, legritter said:

Winter 46/47 several years before my time but having read past weather logs and some weather diarys and my parents memories i would say a very interesting winter ,with snow from many different synoptic set ups ,oh how i wish .

And of course in early March 1947 the big blizzard with fronts gradually becoming stuck across central areas ,something for everyone bring it on .62/63  I Remember in Bristol the early evening started Wet ,it had been a wet day ,then came the sleet followed by snowflakes Massive flakes ,this fell all night followed by more during early morning [sorry night of boxing day into 27th ] then a slight thaw set in untill 29th dec ,Low pressure over biscay sucked in cold air again with a raging blizzard ,very deep snow with many places isolated .several more moderate falls occured in our area but heavier falls elsewhere ,but generally high pressure clear nights and bitter .December 2010 on paper yes v cold but only two light to moderate falls in our area ,but some parts did well some virtually zilch .I found winter 78/,79 delivered a good bit of snow .of course for me February 18th 1978 here in somerset the great blizzard , And 1981/82 several good snowy spells with one very heavy fall in January .Also the winter of 1939/40 cold and snowy , take care all .

I was living in Shipham then, I can just about recall seeing the drifts. I can remember Dad saying that they dug from Longbottom up to Charterhouse,by hand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Nothing crazy about this at all. I am not particularly religious but am quite spiritual and do believe in premonitions, physic experiences etc. for a couple of reasons. First one being that I had such a feeling on September 10th 2001, I knew something bad was going to happen with airplanes I just didn't know what. The very next day 9/11 occurred and Al-Qaeda used planes as missiles. The second one, well I'll save that for another thread as it's going way off topic. But don't doubt them... 

As for this winter, well it is hard to say but I have had a feeling for a while that this one might be up there with one of the best. But we'll see, times are very different and with climate change being what it is, who knows how it'll pan out. I certainly would love to experience one truly epic winter in my lifetime. 2009/10 and 2010/11 were great so I can't complain as we fared very well indeed. I do believe it was well deserved after living through the 90's and early 00's years of utter dross mind.

A combination of 47/63 would be my ideal winter so bring it on, shovels at the ready!!!  

Edited by Weather of Mass Disruption
wibbly wobbly episode...
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 18/10/2016 at 15:17, Ed Stone said:

We certainly had some pea-soupers back in November ' 62? ?

We didn't up here (I lived on Wirral at the time), that October was fair and mild.  November 5th was very mild and dry, I walked down to Lower Heswall to watch a firework display.  November 21st was the first frosty day - I remember it well because I was taken ill at school and sent home.  It was a mid December weekend when my family went to visit relatives in South Liverpool and we saw the first snowy showers of the winter.  A certain wobble-board artist's single "Sun Arise" had gone to No.1.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
23 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well I certainly hope not and the latest from Sidney and the clan is for cool mainly anticyclonic November before the Atlantic kicks in in December with some mild westerlies

Sid 2.jpg

Hide your nuts Sidney,you're going to need them through this long hard winter;

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Well I certainly hope not and the latest from Sidney and the clan is for cool mainly anticyclonic November before the Atlantic kicks in in December with some mild westerlies

Sid 2.jpg

Hope Sidney's forecast is on target.  Prolonged ice and snow days are my least favoured scenarios. Roll on spring 2017.

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/11/2016 at 19:40, cheese said:

Do you and Mr Grouch (aka John Holmes) really think people haven't considered this or that it hadn't entered their minds at all? Most of us are adults who work for a living - not children living at home without a care in the world. 

Seriously, enough with this preachy 'careful what you wish for' rubbish. It doesn't matter a jot what people wish for - if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. You will just have to deal with it. And March is right - if our infrastructure can't cope with something that's routine in poorer countries like Poland then our infrastructure is clearly not up to scratch. A first-world country should not have to contemplate gas shortages or power outages due to cold weather - it's ridiculous. 

thanks for the title.

I am willing to bet IF a 47 or 62-63 winter in intensity and length occurred most of you wishing for it would be sick of it by the end. But no harm in each of you fantasising, makes fun reading.

Maybe I will change my name and photo to what you suggest!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 14:04, MP-R said:

I wish this country would get to the state where we can just deal with snow. Move it out the way, drive properly, or just stay at home - it's really not difficult.

I think the issue is that snow rarely hangs around here for people to get used to it..so it always seems as though we just cant cope..in reality its just a learning curve..believe you me when the first snows arrive in countries like Canada chaos does ensue for a couple of days until people readjust their mind set//like switching from summer to winter mode..there is a short transition period then things revert back to type..here we rarely get beyond those first few days before the snow disappears again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Perhaps a slight echo of 47/63, until start of January. Winter of two halves. 

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

will this winter be like 62/63, god I hope not.

I live with in extremely easy walking distance of work and have no wish to spend my winter doing 16 hour shifts just because some half wit cant walk 5 miles to work.

It's cold and I can't remember how to use my legs BOO HOO HOO ETC, ETC. :cold:

I keep being asked to give them my mobile No, ERRRRR I don't have one sorry:nea: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

have a feeling we will have to pay for this settled weather, no sign of raging westerlies yet, so maybe stormiest/wettest Dec on record coming up? 

no doubt a wet hallowe'en though, with it falling on a monday

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I visited Barcelona with my partner towards the end of last year for a nice romantic get away before our third child came along. Much to her dismay I seemed to keep finding pictures dotted about in various restaurants of the snow they had during the  Christmas period  in 62. 

I think I had only ever thought of the impact of that winter on the UK without looking at the rest of Europe. If anyone is interested there are some great videos on this link:

http://www.homagetobcn.com/snow-in-barcelona-1962/

• Like 5

Posted
On 25/10/2016 at 08:48, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

have a feeling we will have to pay for this settled weather, no sign of raging westerlies yet, so maybe stormiest/wettest Dec on record coming up? 

no doubt a wet hallowe'en though, with it falling on a monday

Stormy and wet to end December and bring in the new year have been quite common place in the last few years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 01:19, lassie23 said:

Leicester City have more chance of winning the Champions League

Interestingly........

The 3 coldest winters since the war.....

1962-63..... in May 1962, Ipswich claimed their one and only ever League title
1946-47....there was no League in the preceding season of 1945 -46 due to the War
1978-79.... in May 1978, Nottingham Forest claimed their their one and only ever League title

so.....will we be able to add...

2016-17....in May 2016 Leicester claimed their one and only ever League title????

Definitely a promising pattern!!!! :)

Edited by Timmytour
to remove text accidentally left in!
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Interestingly........

The 3 coldest winters since the war.....

1962-63..... in May 1962, Ipswich claimed their one and only ever League title
1946-47....there was no League in the preceding season of 1945 -46 due to the War
1978-79.... in May 1978, Nottingham Forest claimed their their one and only ever League title

so.....will we be able to add...

2016-17....in May 2016 Leicester claimed their one and only ever League title????

Definitely a promising pattern!!!! :)

Wow interesting post timmytour:good: There is hope for us yet.