Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Favourite UK places

claret047

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

I will start this off with the three places that I like to visit in my order of preference and would love others to join in with their top 3 favourites:-

1) Wells- Next -The Sea- (North Norfolk)

2) Edinburgh 

3) St Mary's (Isles of Scilly)

Kind regards

Dave

Posted

So many great places to visit, I'll list my top three in no particular order:- 

Lerwick (and Westside),  Glen Affric,  Leith

Posted

Right my top three. And the be honest they are not the most original  but they are places that i either have fond memories of  or places i can enjoy with my family.  

First up.

1. London.  I know people might scoff but i love all the pomp and ceremony i love the hustle and bustle. And i could spend a day on the tube just travelling about.

2. Norfolk.  I enjoy the diversity  one day you can spend with a candy floss and enjoy the big dipper  the next you can be sampling the tranquility of the Norfolk Broads.  Plus ive been going there for years and it seems like a second home.

3. Shropshire,  I lived there for a while after i got married  and the views over the Shropshire hills towards Church Stretton are outstanding. However trying the navigate the Long Mynd in winter can be a little precarious 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Glen Affric, Aviemore area (but not the town itself), and just to add somewhere non rural, Edinburgh. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

It's very hard to choose just 3!

St Ives in Cornwall, although all of Cornwall is stunning.

The High Weald and the South Downs. I love the Weald & Downland Open Air Mueum, with it's  saved and reconstructed village houses http://www.wealddown.co.uk/explore/buildings/

The Norfolk Broads from a boat :)

Posted
7 hours ago, ciel said:

So many great places to visit, I'll list my top three in no particular order:- 

Lerwick (and Westside),  Glen Affric,  Leith

Hello CIEL,

What is Leith like. My sons girlfriends mother brings American students over to this country for the Edinburgh Festival. Next year she has promised to get us tickets for some of the events, but has suggested it would be a better option to stay in Leith as it will not only be quieter but cheaper. We visited Edinburgh in January but did not get the opportunity to visit Leith as we had so much to do during our stay.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

hello claret - please see below - made a pig's ear of the original reply and quote box.

Edited by ciel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

My top 3;

3 - Harlesden, NW London

2 - Barnetby, Humberside 

1 - Seat 214, The Centenary Stand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, AWD said:

My top 3;

3 - Harlesden, NW London

2 - Barnetby, Humberside 

1 - Seat 214, The Centenary Stand.

Agree with Harlesden, like to add Peckham and Plumstead to that:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

1. The Lizard, cornwall

2. Boscastle, cornwall

3. Tintagel, cornwall.

yeah I love cornwall.

Posted
15 hours ago, claret047 said:

Hello CIEL,

What is Leith like. My sons girlfriends mother brings American students over to this country for the Edinburgh Festival. Next year she has promised to get us tickets for some of the events, but has suggested it would be a better option to stay in Leith as it will not only be quieter but cheaper. We visited Edinburgh in January but did not get the opportunity to visit Leith as we had so much to do during our stay.

Kind Regards

Dave

It's for sentimental reasons that I like Leith - visiting old haunts from younger years. Leith has been quite transformed from that time, of course.

To answer your question, Leith will be extremely busy too during the Festival as there are several Fringe venues and numerous good restaurants there.  Regarding accommodation, I'm not sure if there will be a great price differential compared with Edinburgh, but  there are quite a few guest houses and B&Bs in the area, particularly if you investigate the Bonnington, Restalrig, Newhaven and Trinity areas which are close to the centre of Leith.

There is some interesting architecture and historic buildings to be found as well as green spaces such as Leith Links which was originally a golf links. - ( an uncle of mine played for the cricket team "Leith Franklin"  which has its home ground there) - I think Leith is somewhat overlooked in these regards.,

Edinburgh Centre is within walking distance - 30mins maybe - depending on your base, but there is a very good bus service linking Edinburgh and Leith.

Overall, Leith simply has a different character from Edinburgh - maybe a friendlier less impersonal feel.

Edit:  As noted above, there has been a great deal of development in the area - shopping outlets and ghastly new flats etc - with which I am not really familiar.  I don't usually stay in hotels  when visiting as I have friends/ reps there.  On one occasion a couple of years ago, I did stay in one of the chain "Travel" types of  accommodation at the new part of Newhaven, I can't remember the exact brand, but it was horrendously awful and to be avoided. 

.PS  I'm not sure what happened, Dave - but here is my reply now.  If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to try to help

Posted
10 hours ago, ciel said:

It's for sentimental reasons that I like Leith - visiting old haunts from younger years. Leith has been quite transformed from that time, of course.

To answer your question, Leith will be extremely busy too during the Festival as there are several Fringe venues and numerous good restaurants there.  Regarding accommodation, I'm not sure if there will be a great price differential compared with Edinburgh, but  there are quite a few guest houses and B&Bs in the area, particularly if you investigate the Bonnington, Restalrig, Newhaven and Trinity areas which are close to the centre of Leith.

There is some interesting architecture and historic buildings to be found as well as green spaces such as Leith Links which was originally a golf links. - ( an uncle of mine played for the cricket team "Leith Franklin"  which has its home ground there) - I think Leith is somewhat overlooked in these regards.,

Edinburgh Centre is within walking distance - 30mins maybe - depending on your base, but there is a very good bus service linking Edinburgh and Leith.

Overall, Leith simply has a different character from Edinburgh - maybe a friendlier less impersonal feel.

Edit:  As noted above, there has been a great deal of development in the area - shopping outlets and ghastly new flats etc - with which I am not really familiar.  I don't usually stay in hotels  when visiting as I have friends/ reps there.  On one occasion a couple of years ago, I did stay in one of the chain "Travel" types of  accommodation at the new part of Newhaven, I can't remember the exact brand, but it was horrendously awful and to be avoided. 

.PS  I'm not sure what happened, Dave - but here is my reply now.  If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to try to help

Thanks very much.

I might contact you nearer the time.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

1) Watcombe Bay in south Devon; south Devon was very hot back in early July 1987.

2) Glen Affric; brilliant at any time of year, and a wonderful place to take one's Nordic skis, toboggans and bin-liners;

3) Penge; full of all sorts of exotic people and all sorts of wonderful food.:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

1. Skipton and Yorkshire Dales.

2. The Weald of Kent.

3. Stoke on Trent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
56 minutes ago, Cloudy daze said:

There's a big cave near skipton ,can't think of its name .

Mother shipton, stump cross, ingleton, gaping gill?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

1) Falmouth, Cornwall

2) Porthcurno, Cornwall

3) Woolacombe, Devon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Not including where I live:

Camden Town/Kentish Town, London

Whitby, North Yorkshire

Montpelier & Clifton in Bristol

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

North Yorkshire moors. The Cambrian mountains, by the lake Ullswater, Wales in general.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Edinburgh - Never tire of it!

Deal in Kent - Holiday there every summer.   (Family Royal Marine Connections) 

The City of York  

Edited by Blitzen