Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Three Favourite UK places


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL

    I will start this off with the three places that I like to visit in my order of preference and would love others to join in with their top 3 favourites:-

    1) Wells- Next -The Sea- (North Norfolk)

    2) Edinburgh 

    3) St Mary's (Isles of Scilly)

    Kind regards

    Dave

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell

    So many great places to visit, I'll list my top three in no particular order:- 

    Lerwick (and Westside),  Glen Affric,  Leith

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sedgley Black country 731ft 222 metres
  • Location: Sedgley Black country 731ft 222 metres

    Right my top three. And the be honest they are not the most original  but they are places that i either have fond memories of  or places i can enjoy with my family.  

    First up.

    1. London.  I know people might scoff but i love all the pomp and ceremony i love the hustle and bustle. And i could spend a day on the tube just travelling about.

    2. Norfolk.  I enjoy the diversity  one day you can spend with a candy floss and enjoy the big dipper  the next you can be sampling the tranquility of the Norfolk Broads.  Plus ive been going there for years and it seems like a second home.

    3. Shropshire,  I lived there for a while after i got married  and the views over the Shropshire hills towards Church Stretton are outstanding. However trying the navigate the Long Mynd in winter can be a little precarious 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Tullynessle/Inverurie
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
  • Location: Tullynessle/Inverurie

    Glen Affric, Aviemore area (but not the town itself), and just to add somewhere non rural, Edinburgh. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ashford, Kent
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
  • Location: Ashford, Kent

    It's very hard to choose just 3!

    St Ives in Cornwall, although all of Cornwall is stunning.

    The High Weald and the South Downs. I love the Weald & Downland Open Air Mueum, with it's  saved and reconstructed village houses http://www.wealddown.co.uk/explore/buildings/

    The Norfolk Broads from a boat :)

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL
    7 hours ago, ciel said:

    So many great places to visit, I'll list my top three in no particular order:- 

    Lerwick (and Westside),  Glen Affric,  Leith

    Hello CIEL,

    What is Leith like. My sons girlfriends mother brings American students over to this country for the Edinburgh Festival. Next year she has promised to get us tickets for some of the events, but has suggested it would be a better option to stay in Leith as it will not only be quieter but cheaper. We visited Edinburgh in January but did not get the opportunity to visit Leith as we had so much to do during our stay.

    Kind Regards

    Dave

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell

    hello claret - please see below - made a pig's ear of the original reply and quote box.

    Edited by ciel
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Longwell Green, near Bristol
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
  • Location: Longwell Green, near Bristol

    My top 3;

    3 - Harlesden, NW London

    2 - Barnetby, Humberside 

    1 - Seat 214, The Centenary Stand.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NW LONDON
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
  • Location: NW LONDON
    2 minutes ago, AWD said:

    My top 3;

    3 - Harlesden, NW London

    2 - Barnetby, Humberside 

    1 - Seat 214, The Centenary Stand.

    Agree with Harlesden, like to add Peckham and Plumstead to that:D

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bedfordshire 33m above mean sea level
  • Location: Bedfordshire 33m above mean sea level

    1. The Lizard, cornwall

    2. Boscastle, cornwall

    3. Tintagel, cornwall.

    yeah I love cornwall.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
  • Location: Fettercain/Edzell
    15 hours ago, claret047 said:

    Hello CIEL,

    What is Leith like. My sons girlfriends mother brings American students over to this country for the Edinburgh Festival. Next year she has promised to get us tickets for some of the events, but has suggested it would be a better option to stay in Leith as it will not only be quieter but cheaper. We visited Edinburgh in January but did not get the opportunity to visit Leith as we had so much to do during our stay.

    Kind Regards

    Dave

    It's for sentimental reasons that I like Leith - visiting old haunts from younger years. Leith has been quite transformed from that time, of course.

    To answer your question, Leith will be extremely busy too during the Festival as there are several Fringe venues and numerous good restaurants there.  Regarding accommodation, I'm not sure if there will be a great price differential compared with Edinburgh, but  there are quite a few guest houses and B&Bs in the area, particularly if you investigate the Bonnington, Restalrig, Newhaven and Trinity areas which are close to the centre of Leith.

    There is some interesting architecture and historic buildings to be found as well as green spaces such as Leith Links which was originally a golf links. - ( an uncle of mine played for the cricket team "Leith Franklin"  which has its home ground there) - I think Leith is somewhat overlooked in these regards.,

    Edinburgh Centre is within walking distance - 30mins maybe - depending on your base, but there is a very good bus service linking Edinburgh and Leith.

    Overall, Leith simply has a different character from Edinburgh - maybe a friendlier less impersonal feel.

    Edit:  As noted above, there has been a great deal of development in the area - shopping outlets and ghastly new flats etc - with which I am not really familiar.  I don't usually stay in hotels  when visiting as I have friends/ reps there.  On one occasion a couple of years ago, I did stay in one of the chain "Travel" types of  accommodation at the new part of Newhaven, I can't remember the exact brand, but it was horrendously awful and to be avoided. 

    .PS  I'm not sure what happened, Dave - but here is my reply now.  If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to try to help

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
  • Location: Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex 30Mtr ASL
    10 hours ago, ciel said:

    It's for sentimental reasons that I like Leith - visiting old haunts from younger years. Leith has been quite transformed from that time, of course.

    To answer your question, Leith will be extremely busy too during the Festival as there are several Fringe venues and numerous good restaurants there.  Regarding accommodation, I'm not sure if there will be a great price differential compared with Edinburgh, but  there are quite a few guest houses and B&Bs in the area, particularly if you investigate the Bonnington, Restalrig, Newhaven and Trinity areas which are close to the centre of Leith.

    There is some interesting architecture and historic buildings to be found as well as green spaces such as Leith Links which was originally a golf links. - ( an uncle of mine played for the cricket team "Leith Franklin"  which has its home ground there) - I think Leith is somewhat overlooked in these regards.,

    Edinburgh Centre is within walking distance - 30mins maybe - depending on your base, but there is a very good bus service linking Edinburgh and Leith.

    Overall, Leith simply has a different character from Edinburgh - maybe a friendlier less impersonal feel.

    Edit:  As noted above, there has been a great deal of development in the area - shopping outlets and ghastly new flats etc - with which I am not really familiar.  I don't usually stay in hotels  when visiting as I have friends/ reps there.  On one occasion a couple of years ago, I did stay in one of the chain "Travel" types of  accommodation at the new part of Newhaven, I can't remember the exact brand, but it was horrendously awful and to be avoided. 

    .PS  I'm not sure what happened, Dave - but here is my reply now.  If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to try to help

    Thanks very much.

    I might contact you nearer the time.

    Kind Regards

    Dave

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    1) Watcombe Bay in south Devon; south Devon was very hot back in early July 1987.

    2) Glen Affric; brilliant at any time of year, and a wonderful place to take one's Nordic skis, toboggans and bin-liners;

    3) Penge; full of all sorts of exotic people and all sorts of wonderful food.:D

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK

    .

    1. Skipton and Yorkshire Dales.

    2. The Weald of Kent.

    3. Stoke on Trent.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
    56 minutes ago, Cloudy daze said:

    There's a big cave near skipton ,can't think of its name .

    Mother shipton, stump cross, ingleton, gaping gill?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Truro, Cornwall
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
  • Location: Truro, Cornwall

    1) Falmouth, Cornwall

    2) Porthcurno, Cornwall

    3) Woolacombe, Devon

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds

    Not including where I live:

    Camden Town/Kentish Town, London

    Whitby, North Yorkshire

    Montpelier & Clifton in Bristol

     

     

    Edited by cheese
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: St rads Dover
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
  • Location: St rads Dover

    North Yorkshire moors. The Cambrian mountains, by the lake Ullswater, Wales in general.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Evesham, Worcs, Albion
  • Location: Evesham, Worcs, Albion

    Lochailort
    North Rona (not that I have ever been there .... :D )
    The nearest pub

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL
  • Location: Carryduff, County Down 420ft ASL

    Dundee - The top of Dundee Law has the best views from any city anywhere

    Edinburgh - Edinburgh Castle and Old Town

    Jersey - St Ouen's Bay

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
  • Location: Lochgelly - Highest town in Fife at 150m ASL.

    Edinburgh - Never tire of it!

    Deal in Kent - Holiday there every summer.   (Family Royal Marine Connections) 

    The City of York  

    Edited by Blitzen
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors

    North

    York

    Shire

    :D

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...