Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Thoughts & Hopes 2016/17

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

This winter is snowier than that winter at least around and more generally in the south and that is saying something, There was hardly any snow that winter, wet snow mid February 1992 and that was that. There was  a couple brief wintry episodes in the spring. Before 2013-14, it was the most snowless winter I've experienced.

Yes very true.  In the winter of 1991-92 there were almost no proper cold synoptics with deep cold Arctic air and any cold weather that winter came from mid-latitude Rex blocking creating an inverted cold, notably in the first half of Dec 1991 and in the latter part of Jan 1992.  Feb 1992 was a largely mild month but mostly anticyclonic although there were a few days that were colder during the third week of that month which favoured areas saw a little snow fall and settle, although nothing significant.

Certainly winter 2016-17, unless something exceptional happens, has only produced little snowfall for favoured areas, mostly at elevation, briefly during January 12th / 13th and again briefly from February 10th / 12th.  This winter will certainly have produced very little snowfall for a large majority of the country.

Posted

Although I had well above average air frosts in January, I need 7 in 9 days to make winter have an average amount as December had fewer than average and I've only had one in Feb. Looks unlikely. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's now 18c at London city and London Heathrow airports

UPDATE 14:20

Kew Gardens and Northolt have now hit 18.3C

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I hope for a snow cover, even just for a few hours, this winter is on a par with the abysmal winter of 13/14 for snow settling, yes we've had a number of days with snow falling, but other than a sugar coating on a couple of days, no snow cover. Its been pathetic for snowfall generally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Not true the record is just over 19c not today's 18.3

Screenshot_20170221-000102.thumb.png.89019989689ef2dfcbc88f55aa29f86b.png

The truth has never mattered to The Scum.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I'm hoping we never have a winter like this or the last three again.

I think you're put of lick there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Not true the record is just over 19c not today's 18.3

Screenshot_20170221-000102.thumb.png.89019989689ef2dfcbc88f55aa29f86b.png

I believe papers for once! always will if they say, warm, wet, windy records etc, as I 'believe' in mildness and don't believe in UK cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Hello all, I woke up this morning in the small bed and breakfast that I and my brother are staying at just outside Churchill. After a heavy fall of snow overnight the sky was clear and a frigid NE wind was drifting the snow. The thermometer outside registered -15C and there was a good two foot of snow lying on the ground. It was glistening and beautiful in the pink morning light! 

Wish you were here?! I am so glad I made the decision to go to Churchill for a week and a bit.... Seems like "Same Old, Same Old!" back in northern England. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.32302690eece0d7c53ec7b7d4258bb62.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
Just now, iapennell said:

DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.32302690eece0d7c53ec7b7d4258bb62.JPG

Im sure you are devasted about missing a few cm's back home in Alston tomorrow and frigid temps of 0c :p

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, vizzy2004 said:

Im sure you are devasted about missing a few cm's back home in Alston tomorrow and frigid temps of 0c :p

Not really, so much better for snow and cold than anything we have had in the North Pennines for over 30 years! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, iapennell said:

Not really, so much better for snow and cold than anything we have had in the North Pennines for over 30 years! 

Enjoy Ian, bring some home with you please!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, iapennell said:

Hello all, I woke up this morning in the small bed and breakfast that I and my brother are staying at just outside Churchill. After a heavy fall of snow overnight the sky was clear and a frigid NE wind was drifting the snow. The thermometer outside registered -15C and there was a good two foot of snow lying on the ground. It was glistening and beautiful in the pink morning light! 

Wish you were here?! I am so glad I made the decision to go to Churchill for a week and a bit.... Seems like "Same Old, Same Old!" back in northern England. 

Temps are a fair bit above the seasonal norm there +8c similar to back home lately with 16C widespread a few days ago different kettle of fish though. Goes to show how cold the Canadian landmass is, in the ice box for much of the year would you get tired of it? - if only the UK had a continental climate, decent summers and proper winters. I'm glad to know the weather has cooperated considering the expense sounds very nice. :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

London looks very typical the next 2 weeks.

UTPAD7N.png

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 21/02/2017 at 20:42, Summer Sun said:

Next week

Changeable
Winds easing
Potentially blocked?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/39045026

Oh please, not another half baked, dull grey easterly :cray:

• Like 1