Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Thoughts & Hopes 2016/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Well we normally get *at least* 1 measurable snow fall here even in poor Winters. Had 3 measurable snows this year but the 2nd one (and heaviest) was in early March so doesn't count as Winter unless one takes astronomical Winter into consideration, then we had about a cm or 2 in late April. Worst Winter I can remember around here was early 2014 when we only got a dusting one evening in the February which was practically gone when I got up the next morning - pathetic "Winter" that was. Hope I don't experience one like that again! Because of that dreadful Winter it seemed like we had to wait ages for a decent covering which thankfully arrived the next Winter. Anyway for this Winter if we get at least one decent snow fall then I will be happy. Anything more would be a bonus.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well we normally get *at least* 1 measurable snow fall here even in poor Winters. Had 3 measurable snows this year but the 2nd one (and heaviest) was in early March so doesn't count as Winter unless one takes astronomical Winter into consideration, then we had about a cm or 2 in late April. Worst Winter I can remember around here was early 2014 when we only got a dusting one evening in the February which was practically gone when I got up the next morning - pathetic "Winter" that was. Hope I don't experience one like that again! Because of that dreadful Winter it seemed like we had to wait ages for a decent covering which thankfully arrived the next Winter. Anyway for this Winter if we get at least one decent snow fall then I will be happy. Anything more would be a bonus.

Yes winter 13/14 was virtually snowless here as well. Just one day with snowfall on the 31 Jan, and it was a very shortlived affair, very wet in consistency and it barely settled, within 2 hours it melted. A woeful winter. Even high ground up to around 600 metres struggled to see any snow cover, though above 700 metres it was preety decent thanks to the incessant bouts of precipitation and temps just about at the right level for snowfall. At least last winter delivered a morning with decent snow cover on the 17 Jan, and a couple of snowfalls. We too had a surprise wet snowfall in late April.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

last winter 16/17th Jan definitely was although archive charts do not look snowy? heavy snow shower on 6th March, and sleety wet snow late Apr

Posted

No snow here for aaaagggeesss, not even a flake.

Last snow I saw was when I went to Canada... 18 months ago!  Nothing here for the last 2 years +

I'm moving to the north downs on Friday so I'm quietly hopeful my snow chances will increase... although also want it to be mild for a week or two as the new house doesn't have any heating yet! ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
8 hours ago, snoangel said:

No snow here for aaaagggeesss, not even a flake.

Last snow I saw was when I went to Canada... 18 months ago!  Nothing here for the last 2 years +

I'm moving to the north downs on Friday so I'm quietly hopeful my snow chances will increase... although also want it to be mild for a week or two as the new house doesn't have any heating yet! ❄️

I live in the North Downs and it is still fairly rubbish for snow. You get better shower activity in Kent than we do. We saw snow in the 17th Jan; but it was literally a 2cm job that had melted by mid morning. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
14 hours ago, Nick L said:

I look forward to the chronic misuse of the term "shortwave"

"If only it was June/July/August/summer"

"If only it was December/January/February/Winter"

"Wait and see"

"Downgrade"

"Egg on faces"

• Like 2

Posted

Mmm this looks quite good to me from ECMWF seasonal model through inference I'd expect regions of high pressure to the north/northwest reflecting those suppressed precipitation anomalies - not seeing a winter characterised by zonality. The Med is also quite wet indicative of a southerly tracking jet stream - certainly no euro slug. Good stuff for fellow coldies. If we're still in the same position by November I'd say game on. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking at the situation as it stands,those threads that need to knit together to give us a proper winter are increasing,first time in a few years,as always caution but as the clock ticks by the trend for a cooler if not cold season is on the cards. We can live in hope...a proper winter at last??! Little bit for everybody:)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

just want no 'torpedoes' this year! got on my nerves last year waiting for it, assume it never arrived? unless it was from the Atlantic gales and rain!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Big Steve Murr

what a superb post. Thanks very much for the stats and you have set something up to follow with intent again.  

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I guess what you are saying Steve is ignore everything before 2007 yet how can we find any definate patterns over a 9 year period,it is either a cold or mild extreme,it could do anything.Why dont i just sum it up for all of you ....No one has a clue what it is going to do in 2 or 3 months time,and if you get November right it would be a good Guess !

I

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I guess what you are saying Steve is ignore everything before 2007 yet how can we find any definate patterns over a 9 year period,it is either a cold or mild extreme,it could do anything.Why dont i just sum it up for all of you ....No one has a clue what it is going to do in 2 or 3 months time,and if you get November right it would be a good Guess !

I

If everyone had that attitude we would still be using stone tools.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I

you may do well to take in the things the more exp guys post on here. sometimes just learning and looking is a good thing !!!

• Like 9

Posted
5 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I

Err,don't agree with that,you may want to take note when folk who have a far greater understanding of weather than you or me stick their neck out and make a reasoned forecast. They aren't always right by any means but as I've said many times it's the trend  that you look for that is the key and so far this Autumn the underlining theme is for a cooler if not cold winter,may change but time will tell.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
6 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I

You have to remember with regards to the Arctic we are in new territory and its fair to say post 2007 is unknown

We have never see temp wise figures remotely like the attached in the last 60 years.

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

meanT_2016.png

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I guess i will make a half hearted apology to those who are very educated out there but they also have to realise there are lots of less qualified people on this forum who do shake their heads when they hear such long range forcasts,I was brought up as a farmer and then a builder and the fact is it is difficult as it is trying to fit work around a weekly forcast which can be wildly wrong at times and like the guy says anything months away is pure fantasy to the likes of me !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I guess i will make a half hearted apology to those who are very educated out there but they also have to realise there are lots of less qualified people on this forum who do shake their heads when they hear such long range forcasts,I was brought up as a farmer and then a builder and the fact is it is difficult as it is trying to fit work around a weekly forcast which can be wildly wrong at times and like the guy says anything months away is pure fantasy to the likes of me !

There's no need to apologise for anything. It is silly season, and if you dare question something that relates to a cold Winter, you'll feel the wrath of some members.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Very well put,i totally agree day to day,weekly forecasts are not shall we say accurate by any means,in your trade it must be so frustrating. It's the little telltale signs of the season forecast that coupled together MAY provide a indication of how this winter will pan out,at the moment they are leaning towards the colder season,but this could change. Think the best advice is keep watching!:) 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's no need to apologise for anything. It is silly season, and if you dare question something that relates to a cold Winter, you'll feel the wrath of some members.

Suppose it's just like summer months then,you dare to question why folk like hot humid weather you feel the wrath of some members?

• Like 1

Posted

Well, 3 good winters on the bounce have been followed by 3 awful winters on the bounce.

Let's hope these things really do come in threes...

Edited by Spikey M
  • Like 2

Posted

My hopes are for a winter akin to 1947 and 63 combined. Sadly my thoughts are slightly different and on the lines of watered down version of 2010/11 with a colder than average December proceeding a milder than average January, February.

• Like 1