Winter Thoughts & Hopes 2016/17

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

I think JH has it covered.

I can post it again if you want me to?

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

And to think I remember them both. The second in great detail. :shok: Never again.

But I didn't exist during those two Winters (unless reincarnation is real and I lived in this country in another lifetime or lifetimes but either so I neither remember or know) so a similar Winter or Winters is something I'd like to experience myself. How I would feel about such a Winter during it is another matter. Whether I'd love it so much that any lesser Winter wouldn't cut the mustard anymore (though this is a complaint I've never heard anyone make) or whether I'd end up hating it after so long and converting me to a mild Winter lover, I don't know (though I imagine not). But I'll never know for sure unless it happens.

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It's the centenary of the 1916-17 severe winter. That lasted from December 1916 to mid-late April 1917.

I completely forgot about that one. Though that occurred during the First World War and added to the misery of those serving in the trenches over in France. It was probably the harshest Winter of the early 20th century as well and was something of an anomaly as well I believe with most Winters before the Second World War being on the average to mild side.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It's the centenary of the 1916-17 severe winter. That lasted from December 1916 to mid-late April 1917.

You did a great write-up on it. :good:

Posted

There's been no measurable lying snow here since January 2013, so hopefully we'll get some this year. The setup looks vastly different to recent years, so there's some hope at least, but I can't help feeling with the globe being so warm the odds are against us getting anything colder than average over the whole season.

Anything but another 2013/14 or 2015/16 though. Those were utterly awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

A few frosts and a few centimetres of snow will be a vast improvement on the last couple of years! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Newcomer here - so my first post. 

As a regular cyclist the last few winters have been mildly disappointing. There's nothing worse than grey, wet & windy continuous weather. Last winter, there was a run of weekends when it was always wet and/or windy......cycling then become a chore rather than enjoyment.

In an ideal world it would be cold, crisp, clear, light-ish wind = perfect for cycling in, almost as good as the summer. A little snow wouldn't be unwelcome - as we've had a scarcity of proper snow in the last few years.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Newcomer here - so my first post. 

As a regular cyclist the last few winters have been mildly disappointing. There's nothing worse than grey, wet & windy continuous weather. Last winter, there was a run of weekends when it was always wet and/or windy......cycling then become a chore rather than enjoyment.

In an ideal world it would be cold, crisp, clear, light-ish wind = perfect for cycling in, almost as good as the summer. A little snow wouldn't be unwelcome - as we've had a scarcity of proper snow in the last few years.

Winter 2014/15 must have been a good one:) with lots of PM incursions. One of the sunniest winters on record I believe. Though I do remember slipping on black ice in the car:( and one occasion on the NYM clinging to the kerb for dear life going 1mph downhill in snow!

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 hours ago, reef said:

There's been no measurable lying snow here since January 2013, so hopefully we'll get some this year. The setup looks vastly different to recent years, so there's some hope at least, but I can't help feeling with the globe being so warm the odds are against us getting anything colder than average over the whole season.

Anything but another 2013/14 or 2015/16 though. Those were utterly awful.

I've read that last winter (more specifically, the exceptional December) played havoc with hibernating wildlife, many were killed off because they were unable to enter hibernation and starved to death.

Just a normal winter would be fine in comparison to the last few years.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just normal seasons full stop. As much as people will love love love this warmth, I go out dressed for the season I believe i'm in and end up sweating my bum off. There is still Heat in that sun, the only thing that is autumn-y is the mist i'm seeing in the morning. 

Posted

Long range forecaster Terry Scholey early winter thoughts have now been added to Gavs Weather Vids.

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/terryscholey.html

To paraphrase it, he thinks there could very well be a cold start to winter but still to early to be sure....

Posted

Pleasant and benign with the Atlantic buggering off somewhere else is all I really hope for. 

Would like:

- Lots of blue sky days and sunshine

- Average temperatures, nothing too extreme either way

- Not much precipitation of any sort (snow is a pain in the weeble, winter rain is just cold and wet)

Would not like:

- Conveyor belt of Atlantic storms like in recent years

- Eternal overcast

- Snowmaggeddon

My fear at the moment is that we have been using up our quota of good weather since late August and come November/December the Atlantic will wake up and seek revenge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 01 October 2016 at 20:58, Weather-history said:

Yes looking back on met office data it recorded the most air frosts in the extended winter than any other [since 1901 anyway] for this area.

there were 93 airfrosts between october and april for that winter compared to 57 in 2009/10

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Pleasant and benign with the Atlantic buggering off somewhere else is all I really hope for. 

Would like:

- Lots of blue sky days and sunshine

- Average temperatures, nothing too extreme either way

- Not much precipitation of any sort (snow is a pain in the weeble, winter rain is just cold and wet)

Would not like:

- Conveyor belt of Atlantic storms like in recent years

- Eternal overcast

- Snowmaggeddon

My fear at the moment is that we have been using up our quota of good weather since late August and come November/December the Atlantic will wake up and seek revenge.

I don't think you are best suited to live in Manchester....:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I don't think you are best suited to live in Manchester....:)

Hey, Dave! Why not start a NW community near the North Pole?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

No, if I have to move, its Uranus for me....:drunk-emoji:

Trust you! I've spent the last 3 months avoiding Uranus!:santa-emoji:

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Trust you! I've spent the last 3 months avoiding Uranus!:santa-emoji:

You have no idea what you are missing:D Last one before we get told off.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

HP over us retrogressing to our NW and a displaced PV towards Scandinavia as we start Dec bringing a very cold NW to N flow intensifying northerly at times bringing plenty of snow from true arctic origin air.  HP to then settle over us bringing harsh frosts before an attack from the SW as we get to NY.    Setting up Jan for a heck of a start.....

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
On 01/10/2016 at 20:40, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Just to note this coming Winter will mark the 70th anniversary of Winter 1946/47. It would be great to have another cold Winter to coincide with it. Winter 2012/13 was also the 50th anniversary of Winter 1962/63 and we had a cold Winter then. Though not as severe in Winter proper, March 2013 could probably be classed as a severely cold month for its time of year.

In the bleak mid winter: Snow-it-all guide to ... in 1684 the average temperature in January was -3C and....

1+6+8+4 = 19

2017 = 2 + 17 = 19 

The signs are good.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, stewfox said:

In the bleak mid winter: Snow-it-all guide to ... in 1684 the average temperature in January was -3C and....

1+6+8+4 = 19

2017 = 2 + 17 = 19 

The signs are good.

Do you mean you're not expecting a decent Winter until 2019. I hope we don't have to wait that long. I mean I will want it to be cold when it comes but I hope Winter 2016/17 will be cold first. As well as Winter 2017/18 and then (maybe you mean) Winter 2018/19 or Winter 2019/20. Then every Winter from then on to also to be cold and snowy forever and ever till the end of time. I wish, lol :D.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

HP over us retrogressing to our NW and a displaced PV towards Scandinavia as we start Dec bringing a very cold NW to N flow intensifying northerly at times bringing plenty of snow from true arctic origin air.  HP to then settle over us bringing harsh frosts before an attack from the SW as we get to NY.    Setting up Jan to a heck of a start.....

BFTP

When you say 'setting up Jan to a beck of a start' do you mean a cold spell? It's just that you say you're expecting an attack from the SW as we approach the New Year,which would suggest a mild and wet spell. Do you mean this will change to weather from a cold source at the start of January? Also being as you say you expect this attack from the SW approaching New Year, do you mean after Christmas Day, giving us a cold Christmas or potentially before it giving us a mild one? Then again I'm not sure this is actually meant as a forecast or just what you hope to happen?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

With a cold high over us any attack from SW would bring snow.  But this is the hopes for winter thread.......but we shall see.

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2