Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Seasonality

Weather in Poland

9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

But a "moderately" continental climate ups the odds of having cold weather compared to a maritime climate like the UK. In fact I'd say from about Berlin eastwards is in a good position most Winter's for at least some interesting weather if cold is your thing. 

Ok, you've got me there 🙂 But I do find it funny when people think Poland is like Siberia 🤣

I've just come back from a trip to the Tatra mountains, they form part of the Carpathian mountain range and lie on the border of Poland and Slovakia and are much loved by both countries as @jules216 would attest. I love visiting that part of the world but this trip was very worrying. The weather was freakishly warm, t-shirt weather and maximums around 20 degrees at lower altitudes and even when I was atop a 2000m peak, there was no snow and I only needed a light jacket against the wind, in November! This I would expect in summer but this was quite shocking for this time of year. And the normally verdant green of the mountains and valleys showed clear evidence of drought stress. I fear what will happen if climate change continues unabated, beautiful landscapes like the Tatras could change beyond recognition. Back in Warsaw it is still far too warm for the time of year. Just maybe it looks like in a week or so the weather may return to normal but we desperately need a winter of average temperatures and plenty of precipitation to help normalise the situation. Nature needs a cold snowy winter!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seasonality said:

I've just come back from a trip to the Tatra mountains, they form part of the Carpathian mountain range and lie on the border of Poland and Slovakia and are much loved by both countries as @jules216 would attest. I love visiting that part of the world but this trip was very worrying. The weather was freakishly warm, t-shirt weather and maximums around 20 degrees at lower altitudes and even when I was atop a 2000m peak, there was no snow and I only needed a light jacket against the wind, in November! This I would expect in summer but this was quite shocking for this time of year. And the normally verdant green of the mountains and valleys showed clear evidence of drought stress. I fear what will happen if climate change continues unabated, beautiful landscapes like the Tatras could change beyond recognition. Back in Warsaw it is still far too warm for the time of year. Just maybe it looks like in a week or so the weather may return to normal but we desperately need a winter of average temperatures and plenty of precipitation to help normalise the situation. Nature needs a cold snowy winter!

Yes, it is a very very dry and warm year in central Europe and Tatra mountains, I know of people who went to high altitude last weekend to install the snow depth sticks between 1200 and 1800 m. asl as a part of their weather enthusiastic habits and snow depth competition. They wore shorts and short sleeves, this time last year the snow depth there was between 50 and 80 cm. That pesky Euro High has caused a havoc and has persisted for too long.  I will be personally moving back home,which is 70km south from High Tatras after 15 years of living in Ireland. Those mountains suffered enough from the calamity in 2004 and from mafia style forest chopping /destruction which leave a moon land landscape. But this is Slovakia style unfortunately

• Like 1

Please verify Ecm. Nice bit of colder air, just what the doctor ordered. 

tempresult_kwf5.gif

• Like 1

Please verify Ecm 00z. Nice bit of cold air, just what the doctor ordered. 

ECM0-240.gif

Edited by Seasonality

It's definitely getting colder (finally), it's just a question of how much. The ECM brings a high of 4C to Bratislava in ten days' time but that's a while off yet. In the meantime I look forward to going outside in layers and not melting.

One plus side this autumn is the colours. They've been magnificent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

It's definitely getting colder (finally), it's just a question of how much. The ECM brings a high of 4C to Bratislava in ten days' time but that's a while off yet. In the meantime I look forward to going outside in layers and not melting.

One plus side this autumn is the colours. They've been magnificent.

The colours have indeed been beautiful. And not that I should count on it verifying 10 days out but theres an ice day progged for Warsaw on latest ECM data. A sight for sore eyes. IMG_20181111_213300.thumb.jpg.7906dd4b9dfab82c5a6f00774c4db402.jpg

It could also be a near miss if the cold air heads to SE Europe but finally some seasonal weather on the way. Two more warm days ahead of us and then surface cold will start to dig in on Wednesday.

Edited by daz_4
  • Like 2

Starting to get excited for this November cold now. Yes, just the 06z GFS but lovely to see this forecast in November.

gefsens850Warsaw_Poland0.png

gefstmp2mmaxWarsaw_Poland.png

Oh boy, the model thread already in complete chaos, haha. It's like people don't realize it's 13th of November.

That 12z run from GFS is exactly what we need. Borderline at times for my location but lots of rain/snow.

• Like 1

Dream synoptics for Central Europe from GFS para. 

gfs-0-162.png

• Like 1

Freezing rain today. Horrible stuff, a type of weather I genuinely dislike. That awful glaze of ice on every surface and a nightmare to get off the car.