Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in Poland

Seasonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

But a "moderately" continental climate ups the odds of having cold weather compared to a maritime climate like the UK. In fact I'd say from about Berlin eastwards is in a good position most Winter's for at least some interesting weather if cold is your thing. 

Ok, you've got me there  But I do find it funny when people think Poland is like Siberia 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I've just come back from a trip to the Tatra mountains, they form part of the Carpathian mountain range and lie on the border of Poland and Slovakia and are much loved by both countries as @jules216 would attest. I love visiting that part of the world but this trip was very worrying. The weather was freakishly warm, t-shirt weather and maximums around 20 degrees at lower altitudes and even when I was atop a 2000m peak, there was no snow and I only needed a light jacket against the wind, in November! This I would expect in summer but this was quite shocking for this time of year. And the normally verdant green of the mountains and valleys showed clear evidence of drought stress. I fear what will happen if climate change continues unabated, beautiful landscapes like the Tatras could change beyond recognition. Back in Warsaw it is still far too warm for the time of year. Just maybe it looks like in a week or so the weather may return to normal but we desperately need a winter of average temperatures and plenty of precipitation to help normalise the situation. Nature needs a cold snowy winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
3 hours ago, Seasonality said:

I've just come back from a trip to the Tatra mountains, they form part of the Carpathian mountain range and lie on the border of Poland and Slovakia and are much loved by both countries as @jules216 would attest. I love visiting that part of the world but this trip was very worrying. The weather was freakishly warm, t-shirt weather and maximums around 20 degrees at lower altitudes and even when I was atop a 2000m peak, there was no snow and I only needed a light jacket against the wind, in November! This I would expect in summer but this was quite shocking for this time of year. And the normally verdant green of the mountains and valleys showed clear evidence of drought stress. I fear what will happen if climate change continues unabated, beautiful landscapes like the Tatras could change beyond recognition. Back in Warsaw it is still far too warm for the time of year. Just maybe it looks like in a week or so the weather may return to normal but we desperately need a winter of average temperatures and plenty of precipitation to help normalise the situation. Nature needs a cold snowy winter!

Yes, it is a very very dry and warm year in central Europe and Tatra mountains, I know of people who went to high altitude last weekend to install the snow depth sticks between 1200 and 1800 m. asl as a part of their weather enthusiastic habits and snow depth competition. They wore shorts and short sleeves, this time last year the snow depth there was between 50 and 80 cm. That pesky Euro High has caused a havoc and has persisted for too long.  I will be personally moving back home,which is 70km south from High Tatras after 15 years of living in Ireland. Those mountains suffered enough from the calamity in 2004 and from mafia style forest chopping /destruction which leave a moon land landscape. But this is Slovakia style unfortunately

• Like 1

Posted

Please verify Ecm. Nice bit of colder air, just what the doctor ordered. 

tempresult_kwf5.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Please verify Ecm 00z. Nice bit of cold air, just what the doctor ordered. 

ECM0-240.gif

Edited by Seasonality

Posted

It's definitely getting colder (finally), it's just a question of how much. The ECM brings a high of 4C to Bratislava in ten days' time but that's a while off yet. In the meantime I look forward to going outside in layers and not melting.

One plus side this autumn is the colours. They've been magnificent.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

It's definitely getting colder (finally), it's just a question of how much. The ECM brings a high of 4C to Bratislava in ten days' time but that's a while off yet. In the meantime I look forward to going outside in layers and not melting.

One plus side this autumn is the colours. They've been magnificent.

The colours have indeed been beautiful. And not that I should count on it verifying 10 days out but theres an ice day progged for Warsaw on latest ECM data. A sight for sore eyes. IMG_20181111_213300.thumb.jpg.7906dd4b9dfab82c5a6f00774c4db402.jpg

Posted

It could also be a near miss if the cold air heads to SE Europe but finally some seasonal weather on the way. Two more warm days ahead of us and then surface cold will start to dig in on Wednesday.

Edited by daz_4
  • Like 2

Posted

Starting to get excited for this November cold now. Yes, just the 06z GFS but lovely to see this forecast in November.

gefsens850Warsaw_Poland0.png

gefstmp2mmaxWarsaw_Poland.png

Posted

Decent little November sprinkling of snow in far FI for Poland 

gfs-16-384.png

• Like 1

Posted

Oh boy, the model thread already in complete chaos, haha. It's like people don't realize it's 13th of November.

That 12z run from GFS is exactly what we need. Borderline at times for my location but lots of rain/snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Freezing rain today. Horrible stuff, a type of weather I genuinely dislike. That awful glaze of ice on every surface and a nightmare to get off the car. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hate this type of weather. Temperatures around zero, smog and dry as hell. 

We had some snow last week for about 24 hours so that was nice but other then that it has been a horrible month. Extreme drought continues, we had wildfires in Krkonose at the Polish borders (1000m above sea level) and some resorts in Beskid Mountains already said they won't be using snow cannons this year because there is no water in mountain streams. What a year.

IMG-0057.JPG

Edited by daz_4

Posted
14 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Hate this type of weather. Temperatures around zero, smog and dry as hell. 

We had some snow last week for about 24 hours so that was nice but other then that it has been a horrible month. Extreme drought continues, we had wildfires in Krkonose at the Polish borders (1000m above sea level) and some resorts in Beskid Mountains already said they won't be using snow cannons this year because there is no water in mountain streams. What a year.

IMG-0057.JPG

Has been quite cold here for November but dry too. I feel your pain!

Posted

-17°C this morning. Impressive for 1st of December. 

Edited by Seasonality

Posted

Finally! A bit of snow falling tonight to add some more interest to this colder weather. The temperature has risen to -8 from -12 a couple of hours ago and the warmer air has brought some much needed precipitation, we need all we can get in Central Europe. Oddly enough, the 1st of December always seems to bring snow the last few years. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Met office used to be really good with predicting precipitation for Warsaw. But they haven't been great recently. For example it's been light snow and snizzle all day but Meto still adamantly showing dry. At least Instytut Meteorologii i Gospodarki Wodnej have very good short range forecasting, plenty of live station data and a very nice radar page. 

Edited by Seasonality

Posted

Hi I’m spending my first Xmas with my girlfriends family in Lodz, flying into Warsaw Thursday night the weather looks a bit wintry on arrival, also the charts look on a knife-edge for snow over Xmas looking at the different models.

Posted
10 hours ago, Jet Streak said:

Hi I’m spending my first Xmas with my girlfriends family in Lodz, flying into Warsaw Thursday night the weather looks a bit wintry on arrival, also the charts look on a knife-edge for snow over Xmas looking at the different models.

Hi @Jet Streak tomorrow you'll fly into snow on the ground and normal temperatures for Warsaw of a few degrees below freezing. Then a thaw over the weekend and yes it is very much up in the air for Xmas. But I'm hoping for the white stuff. Enjoy your time in Łódź. 

Posted

I'm not even mad. Exactly what I expected.

image.thumb.png.c0b8389664733ee19303ccb4ee86e8b2.png

Czech meteorological institute published a graph with average temps at Christmas day in my country. White Christmas is a thing of the past here.

image.thumb.png.9efd9d2300aea3f0945add452d793812.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Jet Streak said:

Many thanks seasonality, we have had so much rain here on the south coast, it will be good to see some of the white stuff!! 

Looking better run by run for some Xmas white stuff too. Latest GFS ensembles for Warsaw. Milder runs being squeezed out and snow row looking better too.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 2.49.03 PM.png

Posted
5 hours ago, daz_4 said:

I'm not even mad. Exactly what I expected.

image.thumb.png.c0b8389664733ee19303ccb4ee86e8b2.png

Czech meteorological institute published a graph with average temps at Christmas day in my country. White Christmas is a thing of the past here.

image.thumb.png.9efd9d2300aea3f0945add452d793812.png

2008 onwards its like someone flicked a switch.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

2008 onwards its like someone flicked a switch.

Yes, Wujek (uncle) phones every Christmas Eve , and has done since the 1970s - I'm sure you know Poles celebrate the 1st star on Christmas eve night, and lets just say the number of 'green christmas's' in the 2000s has rocketed !!

My grandad used to live in Kresy (modern day Belarus) and always talked of cold setting in Nov and basically not releasing its grip until March/April..

Times a changing even as far east as Poland