Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in Poland

Seasonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Slight relenting of cold coming over the next few days but it looks like it'll bring snow again, just like last weekend did! Snow now predicted for this evening and tomorrow morning by the Met Office and they've been excellent this winter at predicting snow for Warsaw. Looks like the sledge will have some fresh snow over the existing cover to play with again this weekend. After that, looks like it will be another dry freezing spell out to 29th of the month if the GFS ensembles are anything to go by. Turning out to be a decent January.

• 1 year later...
Posted

About time I started updating this thread again. After a record breaking hot summer that started in April and went all the way through to September we now have a spectacular Indian summer. Cool mornings, some with a slight frost and sometimes thick fog are giving way to glorious sunny days with maximums of 20C. The Autumn leaves also seem particularly vibrant this year. This is due to last for the rest of the working week and moving forward there are hints of early wintriness for the following weekend. Fingers crossed for a proper winter to match the stunning summer.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Seasonality said:

About time I started updating this thread again. After a record breaking hot summer that started in April and went all the way through to September we now have a spectacular Indian summer. Cool mornings, some with a slight frost and sometimes thick fog are giving way to glorious sunny days with maximums of 20C. The Autumn leaves also seem particularly vibrant this year. This is due to last for the rest of the working week and moving forward there are hints of early wintriness for the following weekend. Fingers crossed for a proper winter to match the stunning summer.

Hi, Seasonality! The last six months sure were something in Central Europe. Don't know if I would call it stunning though, hehe. The drought is horrible and one more warm and dry winter will be the final nail in the coffin for our forests. The average temp from April to September on our longest running station in Prague is impressive. The second place is more than one degree colder.

text_big1539082801-3.jpg 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Hi, Seasonality! The last six months sure were something in Central Europe. Don't know if I would call it stunning though, hehe. The drought is horrible and one more warm and dry winter will be the final nail in the coffin for our forests. The average temp from April to September on our longest running station in Prague is impressive. The second place is more than one degree colder.

text_big1539082801-3.jpg 

Impressive stats there. I didn't mean to sound frivolous, I should qualify my comments by saying it has been pleasant in terms of human enjoyment but you're right, frightening in a broader environmental sense. Do you really think that a warm, mild winter could really be so catastrophic? The last straw as it were? 

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Do you really think that a warm, mild winter could really be so catastrophic? The last straw as it were? 

Don't know if catastrophic but it would be really bad. At least for my country, maybe you guys in Poland were more lucky when it comes to rain. Some parts of the Czech republic have been in extreme drought since 2015. Atlantic is dead for who knows how many years now. It is just non-stop high pressure and local storms are only source of rain. Long gone are the times with cold fronts from the west. We had 5! extremely warm and dry winters in a row. I think folks living in villages are already feeling the effects with water wells running dry. Underground waters are at historic lows and forests are decimated by the heat, drought and bark beetle. Tens of millions of trees just dying. It also doesn't help that the management of our forests was terrible in the last hundred of years and now we are left with mostly spruces which are completely unsuitable for today's climate. Our agency issued warning against fires today, at the end of October, crazy.

Damn, I sound like some prophet of doom  Let's just hope for a cold and snowy winter. It has been long overdue.

Posted
On 17/10/2018 at 16:47, daz_4 said:

Don't know if catastrophic but it would be really bad. At least for my country, maybe you guys in Poland were more lucky when it comes to rain. Some parts of the Czech republic have been in extreme drought since 2015. Atlantic is dead for who knows how many years now. It is just non-stop high pressure and local storms are only source of rain. Long gone are the times with cold fronts from the west. We had 5! extremely warm and dry winters in a row. I think folks living in villages are already feeling the effects with water wells running dry. Underground waters are at historic lows and forests are decimated by the heat, drought and bark beetle. Tens of millions of trees just dying. It also doesn't help that the management of our forests was terrible in the last hundred of years and now we are left with mostly spruces which are completely unsuitable for today's climate. Our agency issued warning against fires today, at the end of October, crazy.

Damn, I sound like some prophet of doom  Let's just hope for a cold and snowy winter. It has been long overdue.

I will be in Nowa Morawa in mid November a stone throw from the Czech border, a beautiful part of Europe with forests and mountains a plenty!

Pozdro.

• Like 2

Posted
On 19/10/2018 at 01:31, northwestsnow said:

I will be in Nowa Morawa in mid November a stone throw from the Czech border, a beautiful part of Europe with forests and mountains a plenty!

Pozdro.

Nice, I'm off to Zakopane next week for a few days so mountains and forests aplenty too of course!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Nice, I'm off to Zakopane next week for a few days so mountains and forests aplenty too of course!

Yes of course, beautiful part of the World, i'm in the process of claiming Polish citizenship and plan on having a house built in the future in South west Poland, with a view to living there at some point.

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/10/2018 at 16:47, daz_4 said:

I was in northern Greece till a few days ago and the picture is very similar. October is normally when reliable rain turns the scenery green and many agricultural tasks begin but everything was dry and yellow. The ground too hard to dig let alone plant anything. As the plane took off in a northwesterly direction i could see the mountains in the Balkans dead dry and with smoke rising in several locations. Basically some forest fires are continuing in October which was cosidered a freak event so late in the season up to a decade ago. Now it is really common and last autumn was the same. Too much stubborn high pressure over the continent. 

• Like 3

Posted

Some good heavy rain over the last 24 hours and more forecast in the coming days. Very welcome after such a very extended dry period. Lets get those ground water levels back up and start building up the snow cover in the mountains. Hoping for plenty of rain and snow in the coming months.

Edited by Seasonality

Posted
21 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Some good heavy rain over the last 24 hours and more forecast in the coming days. Very welcome after such a very extended dry period. Lets get those ground water levels back up and start building up the snow cover in the mountains. Hoping for plenty of rain and snow in the coming months.

Would love nothing more but it doesn't look good for Central Europe. The Alps will probably block everything. Thinking we should get around 10 mm over the weekend which will do nothing for ground waters. As you said October was really dry. After that another blast of warm air on the cards.

• Like 1

Posted
On 25/10/2018 at 10:32, daz_4 said:

Would love nothing more but it doesn't look good for Central Europe. The Alps will probably block everything. Thinking we should get around 10 mm over the weekend which will do nothing for ground waters. As you said October was really dry. After that another blast of warm air on the cards.

Yes, 20C forecast for Warsaw next week. 20C in late October, what the @#$% is going on?

Posted
4 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Yes, 20C forecast for Warsaw next week. 20C in late October, what the @#$% is going on?

The first decade of November will probably be extremely warm. I guess nothing surprising, this has been really common during this decade.

image.thumb.png.9fabfa6c64dfddbb10e5370b2931ce9b.png

Ugh 

Posted
43 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

The first decade of November will probably be extremely warm. I guess nothing surprising, this has been really common during this decade.

Ugh 

Wow, whodathought it was almost November with temperatures like that in Poland, a country so often tagged with cold weather. I bet everybody is waiting for winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
46 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Ugh 

I'm glad our Novembers are shorter than theirs...:drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm glad our Novembers are shorter than theirs...:drinks:

Damn it Oh well, you know what I meant, haha! 

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Wow, whodathought it was almost November with temperatures like that in Poland, a country so often tagged with cold weather. I bet everybody is waiting for winter

The being tagged with cold weather thing is funny really because Poland really just has a moderately continental climate. 

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Temperature at midnight from Monday to Tuesday. Is it July again? 

image.thumb.png.b6108b0dc9367b350e665b926daf6063.png

Madness. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Seasonality said:

The being tagged with cold weather thing is funny really because Poland really just has a moderately continental climate. 

Given the suggested temperatures next week, it most certainly is...

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Given the suggested temperatures next week, it most certainly is...

More like subtropical next week :)

Posted
On 26/10/2018 at 16:07, daz_4 said:

Ugh 

Similar temperatures here too. Not as warm as further south though - it reached 29C in Romania yesterday and 27C in Hungary on Saturday.

I enjoyed the warm sunny weather earlier this month but I've had enough now. I'm ready for winter; a shame the weather isn't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On 27/10/2018 at 12:49, Seasonality said:

But a "moderately" continental climate ups the odds of having cold weather compared to a maritime climate like the UK. In fact I'd say from about Berlin eastwards is in a good position most Winter's for at least some interesting weather if cold is your thing.