Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Matthew

Posted

Still very healthy on radar. Outer bands very close to Miami now. Although it's still many many hours away. 

Ive also shown an earlier radar from today and you can clearly see how much better organised it is. 

IMG_0444.PNG

IMG_0448.PNG

Posted

Now 937mb and 135mph sfmr.  Some cold cloud tops and visual presentation of Matthew improving all the time.  To me it's a matter of when and not if it reaches cat 5. Let's hope it stays off-shore.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
6 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Another pass and 937.1mb

matthew now has a lower pressure than when it was cat 5

It hit 934mb while cat 4. As you'd expect, it doesn't always mix winds down as efficiently at all times due to a range of factors.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Wales said:

Now 937mb and 135mph sfmr.  Some cold cloud tops and visual presentation of Matthew improving all the time.  To me it's a matter of when and not if it reaches cat 5. Let's hope it stays off-shore.

Sat is having trouble getting correct intensity due to the pinhole eye and agressive convection so sadly it's not quite as strong in terms of winds as some of obs have found (128KT for example). Right now it's 112KT and increasing (~130mph) according to recon.

• Like 1

Posted

57f6435d707d5_ScreenShot2016-10-06at7_27

Posted
37 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Storm surge is much more driven by storm size and wind radai so it won't be too bad for most unless your within ~100 miles of the center.

Given that the centre of the storm is going to run right up the Florida coast I would have thought that storm surge would be a major issue? particularly to the North of the system?

Posted

Frack me.. will have to wait and see if its flagged but recon just got 133KT in the SE quadrant of the eyewall (~155mph). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Matthew still has to cross over the Gulf Stream and his current predicted track runs him along with it prior to landfall. Will we see a late intensification prior to landfall ( scrape in as a cat 5?)

I wonder if T Rump's beach house will stay safe?

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Given that the centre of the storm is going to run right up the Florida coast I would have thought that storm surge would be a major issue? particularly to the North of the system?

Yes. The track somewhat nullifies the tight core. 

Posted

133KT (152mph) is a dropsonde and therefore confirmed. 

Matthew will very likely be declared a category 5 hurricane before 18:00Z. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snow Queen one said:

I am just 30 miles from that pin marker.  Just about to leave area

Leave now. He's not even out the Bahamas and he's strengthening faster than i ever thought he would. 

If you can get 50 miles inland you should be fine and can get some pictures for us, you'll still get to experience some hurricane force winds. 

• Like 6

Posted

151KT at 930mb. That's really not far above the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow. snow and more snow
23 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

I am just 30 miles from that pin marker.  Just about to leave area

Stay safe Snow Queen one. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

What a way to break the hurricane drought though.. with a cat 4, potentially cat 5 landfall (there was Hermine in Spetember, I know). Hurricane Andrew is the only hurricane to make landfall in the US as a cat 5 in the past 25 years.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Nassau live weather data feed has now  crashed - which is ominous for that region. 

Nicolls town on Andros up to 100mph at the surface. 

Edited by Jack Wales

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

What a way to break the hurricane drought though.. with a cat 4, potentially cat 5 landfall (there was Hermine in Spetember, I know). Hurricane Andrew is the only hurricane to make landfall in the US as a Cat 5 in the past 25 years.

Yep  and i believe its the first cat 3 or higher to hit Florida since 1950     

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Not quite.. Florida had 2 major hurricanes in 2005 (Dennis and Wilma, both cat 3), and 3 major hurricanes in 2004 (Ivan, Frances and Charley).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Not quite.. Florida had 2 major hurricanes in 2005 and 3 major hurricanes in 2004.

Ahh  sorry  i think East coast of Florida    Storm King??

Posted
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I thought hurricane Andrew made landfall as a cat 5 in the late 80"s

Posted
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Ahh  sorry  i think East coast of Florida    Storm King??

Hurricane Jeanne made landfall on Florida's east coast as a cat 3 in 2004, I think (I forgot about her).

And, of course, Miami is on the east coast of Florida and received a near direct hit from Andrew in 1992.

Edited by cheese

Posted

1 minute ago, cheese said:

Hurricane Jeanne made landfall on Florida's east coast as a cat 3 in 2004, I think.

Lol   October  Landfall  Eastside of Florida  since Hurricane King.    ill get there in the end