Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Matthew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

I remember a few years ago  Haiti  got battered by another hurricane and  there was a massive aid operation? How    Is this likely to   compare to that?  Or was that an earthquake? 

2010 they had an horrific earthquake but in 2008 I think it was they had 4 hurricanes/tropical storms in 30 days I believe ike was one and maybe Gustav was another, a lot of people died due to the amount of rain that fell causing landslides, just hope it's not as bad this time but I fear the worse 

Posted

Fiddly farts. Recon did another pass of the eye a few mins ago and the pressure has just started falling again, just dipping sub 950. Also 120+kt flight winds in both ne and sw quads and 145mph surface winds in the ne quad. 

All in all interaction with Haiti has been a walk in park for Matthew. Very unfortunate for Cuba and the Bahamas 

Edited by Iceberg

Posted

Dropsonde data indicates surface level pressure of 949mb and surface winds of 123kts (141.5mph) detected.   Land interaction hasn't done much to inhibit Matthew. 

Cloud tops have warmed slightly but with the eye reforming expect pressures to drop once more. Not good news for the Bahamas. 

ft0.gif

Edited by Jack Wales

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

UKMO also hit Florida apparently.

Hurricane force winds now extend 60 miles from the center (it was 40 before Haiti), the eye is now 30 miles across.

A very quick recovery from the core of Matthew.  

Posted
18 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Hwrf takes Matthew to a hit on the carolinas. 

Gfdl has a direct cat 5 hit of Miami. 

IMG_0436.PNG

IMG_0438.PNG

I especially hope the Miami hit doesn't prevail.  As a cat 5, it would floor many of the concrete buildings and displace millions. 

In the meantime Cuba is next in the firing line. Baracoa should take a direct hit, here is the weather station which is worth keeping an eye on (pardon the pun)...

https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/today/l/CUXX0021:1:CU

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
23 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Hwrf takes Matthew to a hit on the carolinas. 

Gfdl has a direct cat 5 hit of Miami. 

IMG_0436.PNG

IMG_0438.PNG

If this track doesn't shift surely the US will be calling a national emergency as this like a made for TV disaster movie script. Florida can handle hurricanes better than most places, but nowhere can really handle Cat 5's making landfall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is beginning to look dire. Really hope them runs shown do not come off. It would be catastrophic for the eastern coast of Florida. 

Bizzarely, a couple of runs show Matthew doing a U turn and heading back south towards the Bahamas once more :shok:. would be a similar occurrence to hurricane Ivan in 2004. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

If Matthew not enough, Tropical Storm Nicole has been formed to the north east of Matthew. It may effect the movement of Matthew.

http://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane/tropical-storm-nicole-forms-in-atlantic-ocean

Posted
31 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

UKMO also hit Florida apparently.

Hurricane force winds now extend 60 miles from the center (it was 40 before Haiti), the eye is now 30 miles across.

A very quick recovery from the core of Matthew.  

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Love Snow said:

I was in Florida back in 2004 when Hurricane Jeanne on a family Holiday.

It was a powerful storm and the wind was something else. We was in a villa near a lake and all night and day the lake was getting closer and closer to the complex. Luckily it never flooded we was without power for 12 hours but I thing the power gets cut as a precaution. I went outside for 5 minutes during the day and you couldn't stand up. 

The damage wasn't too bad in Orlando but we went to coast 5 days after the storm and you could see the damaged cause from the high tide and the sand was pushed all the way up the beach front picnic benches extra hidden under the sand.

It certainly was a experience I won't ever forget.

It's worth noting that Jeanne was only a tropical storm/depression when it neared Haiti yet it caused over 3000 deaths there. A mature, powerful hurricane moving slowly and carrying an unusually high amount of precipitation is a real recipe for disaster. We can only hope the rainfall forecasts (up to 40 inches) prove to have been overdone.

1 hour ago, Jack Wales said:

I especially hope the Miami hit doesn't prevail.  As a cat 5, it would floor many of the concrete buildings and displace millions. 

In the meantime Cuba is next in the firing line. Baracoa should take a direct hit, here is the weather station which is worth keeping an eye on (pardon the pun)...

https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/today/l/CUXX0021:1:CU

Renowned stormchaser Mike Theiss is riding it out in Baracoa: https://twitter.com/MikeTheiss

Baracoa does have a degree of shelter as it faces northwards to the ocean. Guantanamo is a westward wobble away from getting shafted.

I think the Bahamas are really in the firing line though. A larger, reorganised Matthew restrengthening over warm seas has the potential to become a real monster storm.

• Like 2

Posted

The worlds best performing global models (Euro and UKMO) both slam him into Florida and then miss the trough, loop and then the Euro slams him again and gets into the Gulf. 

Three days out and the GFS disagrees. 

If i were in the US, i'd start to worry. There's a reasonable chance that the 11 year streak is about to break in some style. 

Ct8io6WWYAEmNfH.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This could well be the most expensive hurricane ever, hopefully not in human cost, but in insurance costs if the tracks now modelled come off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Skeletor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Looks like Terminator .

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
48 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

never has Hurricane imagery been more apt (if you see what I see!)

skull.jpg

Haiti....

Baron Samedi...

751d3a2ff6c714ebd52341fdd17d2987.jpg