Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Advice

Jodie35

Posted

Hello all, I'm very excited to be on tour 1 for next year. Just looking for advice from previous storm chasers on a few things. I am looking to buy a new camera but would also like to record video so was unsure if i should buy a combi or buy a camcorder separately. I'm certainly no professional so top spec/expensive no need. Also while i'm asking, what size holdall is acceptable to bring along? as you can tell i have some shopping to do!!!!

Posted

Hi Jodie

Am no expert on photography as I leave that to the clever people my job is to find you guys the Tornadoes but there are plenty on here who will guide you in that area, some professional and some just like you. Am sure someone will be along in the next few days to reply on that.

With regards to holdall some people bring those long sports type holdalls that can easily fit in 10-12 days clothes, toiletries etc so that will be fine.

Regards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Hi Jodie, an early welcome,  this will be my 3rd tour 1 and this is likely to be your best holiday ever! This year I took a digital SLR for decent photography, mostly wide angle, plus I took my work phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S6. The SLR camera is a combi which is great for versatility but when it's all kicking off you really need a separate camera for either video work or photography and versatility. I was surprised how good a decent phone can be for filming decent footage, plus something small and easy to use makes all the difference when it's kicking off. I hope this helps, listen to other peoples ideas too about what works for them as what works for one person may not work for someone else. Look forward to meeting you out in tornado alley :-)  Olly 

Posted

Hi Jodie,

I actually used my phone a lot the past 2 seasons I've been out as the quality really is good these days. In the heat of the moment though using a digital slr sometimes isn't the best option if you're pretty new to the game. Lots of fumbling around with settings on it and head down looking at the camera rather than what's happening in front of you and you could miss it all! Don't let that put you off though as some time spent learning how to use it could give you some great results. Mind you, Paul has been trying with his for over 10 years and is still failing... :rofl:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
15 hours ago, Arron said:

Hi Jodie,

I actually used my phone a lot the past 2 seasons I've been out as the quality really is good these days. In the heat of the moment though using a digital slr sometimes isn't the best option if you're pretty new to the game. Lots of fumbling around with settings on it and head down looking at the camera rather than what's happening in front of you and you could miss it all! Don't let that put you off though as some time spent learning how to use it could give you some great results. Mind you, Paul has been trying with his for over 10 years and is still failing... :rofl:

and passing off other peoples pictures of his own too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 minutes ago, Crashlanding said:

and passing off other peoples pictures of his own too!

And being from Essex.

Posted

Jodie, welcome.

Off course you could go the whole hog and buy a go-pro for mounting on the SUV, as well :)

With respect to the size of the holdall, it's simple really. what can you carry fully loaded up a flight of steps, as Paul has a "thing" about not being on the ground floor so you'll 90% have to cart your luggage upstairs, as most single storey places in the USA don't have lifts..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

And being from Essex.

but wants to be a cockney!

• 3 months later...
Posted

Thank you for all your advice. I went with the Fujifilm XP90 camera and have for a reasonable sized bag both of which i also managed to get as christmas presents :) 

• Like 2