Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Q&A Session with NOAA Hurricane Hunters Today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

We're hosting this Q&A session today on reddit.com/r/science. They'll be answering questions later this evening. Ye can read everything without registering, but to ask a question or vote on questions you'll need to regester. Here's the intro:

----------------------------------------------------------

Science AMA Series: Hi Reddit! We are Dr. Frank Marks and Commander Justin Kibbey, hurricane hunters and scientists at NOAA’s Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory (AOML). We fly into hurricanes to help improve forecasts! Ask us anything!

Hi Reddit! As hurricane season is in full swing we wanted to give you the opportunity to ask us any questions you have:

My name is Dr. Frank Marks. I am the Director of the Hurricane Research Division at NOAA’s Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory. I received my Sc.D. in Meteorology from MIT. I’m an expert in tropical cyclones (known as hurricanes here in the US) and serve as the research lead of NOAA’s Hurricane Forecast Improvement Project (HFIP). I have been flying into tropical cyclones since 1980, and have logged over 10,000 hours on the P-3 aircraft! I’m here to answer all your questions about hurricanes and the latest hurricane research at NOAA. Ask me anything!

I’m Commander Justin Kibbey of the NOAA Corps. I am a trained P-3 pilot. In March 2010, I was selected for an interservice transfer from the United States Navy to the NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps, at the Aircraft Operations Center in Tampa, Florida. My first hurricane flight was in September 2010, and ever since, I have flown about 20 flights per year! I help scientists gather data by piloting planes into hurricanes. Ask me anything!

You can follow us on twitter @NOAA_AOML & @HRD_NOAA_AOML or visit our website www.aoml.noaa.gov to stay up to date with all the different research projects at the lab!

I’ll be back at 1 pm EST (10 am PST, 6 pm UTC) to answer your questions, ask me anything!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/53ydgr/science_ama_series_hi_reddit_we_are_dr_frank/

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2