Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you put your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

90f + for some of us last week and I found its gone on tonight for the first time . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

You having a laugh? Way too mild for that still. We try and keep the heating off until November 01st in this house. If it gets chilly before then we put the fire on in the lounge and congregate in there.

Posted

This 'joke' thread is started every year. Heating on?!

It is still 15c outside here right now.

Heating goes on late Oct/early Nov....if temps hit 7/8c by early evening. Crikes!.....last year it was still 15c one week before Crimbo...at midnight in Central Bristol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Got down to 5C here this morning and the missus wanted it on for 20 mins when she got up first thing, this is a cold house in a cold area but if I lived on my own I could happily go through most of the Winter without it on even if there is snow on the ground knowing I would save quite a bit of money, bar only the coldest weather like 2010 when we got close to -18C here. I think I would give in by then.

• Like 3

Posted

My house gets too warn with heating on if it's above 10C outside and even then it's only if it's below that for an extended period of the day so a long way off yet. In a mild winter the only reason our heating's on is to dry clothes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I think a lot of people - more so men - like to try and appear tough and will refrain from putting the heating on so they don't look weak (presumably like women), as opposed to any real concern about saving money. This is something I've noticed a lot - and not just on this forum.

No heating on for me, even though it is a tad chilly this evening, but I will not hesitate to put it on if it gets cold indoors. I've spoken to countless people from abroad and they find it absolutely bonkers that in the UK we will just put on layers and layers of clothing because it's cold indoors instead of doing the sensible thing and putting the heating on for an hour in the morning. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

No Cheese - it just is NOT cold at the mo.....or anywhere near.

I agree, I'm just talking in general. If it's cold inside, I'll pop the heating on. It's not cold inside so I'm not doing that. If it got very cold in September I'd turn the heating on, even though some people refuse to do so out of principle or something.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Got down to 5C here this morning and the missus wanted it on for 20 mins when she got up first thing, this is a cold house in a cold area but if I lived on my own I could happily go through most of the Winter without it on even if there is snow on the ground knowing I would save quite a bit of money, bar only the coldest weather like 2010 when we got close to -18C here. I think I would give in by then.

I tried a winter season without the heating on much at all in quite a draughty 4 bed town house. Put it this way, chilblains on your feet are not much fun and itchy as hell!

The trouble is, in the UK without heating in winter, houses get damp very quickly because of how wet it is. Damp and cold isn't a nice combination.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
19 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

No Cheese - it just is NOT cold at the mo.....or anywhere near.

Could see my breath, just about, when going the shop at about 10pm tonight

Temperature currently at 9.1C so down comfortably into single figures tonight and comfortably colder than some nights we had back in December and January already.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

1st November in this house, unless there's a really cold blast. At the moment a. Way too warm and b. We've been having some work done and need to wait for the decorator to do some trickier bits before we can get some of the radiators back on the wall, so the heating is out of commission until that's sorted anyway!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Still shorts and tee shirt weather by me,heating not even thought of!

• Like 1

Posted

Organised a filled up of the tank on Friday in preparation. Domestic kerosene is 10p/litre more expensive than it was in March. 

Have to admit, the heating is timed to come on for an hour in the mornings now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

If it gets too chllly in the mornings will put the heating on for a short blast to make having a shower more comfortable,  not been cold enough just yet to do that though.  Not been using the central heating at night now at all for 3-years other than the odd night when lighting the burner wasn't feasible.  Had a log burner fitted September 2013 and I have found It does heat the bungalow enough to avoid using the heating - be interesting to see if it kept the place warm enough if we had weather as cold as 2010..   

Edited by Snowycat

Posted

If it starts to get cold-ish and persistently damp mid October then I'll probably put it on a timer on/off/on/off etc in the morning and evenings. No point actively encouraging damp if we have another wet autumn. Otherwise if it's mostly dry then will probably just put it on occasionally if my feet are getting cold.

Nowhere near cold enough yet though, September has been pretty pleasant so far.

Posted

I tend to use the dehumidifier upstairs rather than the heating during most of the Autumn as it keeps the house dry and adds just enough heat that unless it gets into low single-figures outside overnight then things are still comfortable.

As it stands though we're about as far away from needing the heating as can be. We haven't had a minimum temperature below 10C yet this month and the mean max is 21.1C. The house hasn't dropped below 21C yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Heating? I'm wearing only a pair of shorts...IMO, it's still 10C too warm to worry about heating. Did put the AC on this morning, however. It was useless!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
21 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

This 'joke' thread is started every year. Heating on?!

It is still 15c outside here right now.

Heating goes on late Oct/early Nov....if temps hit 7/8c by early evening. Crikes!.....last year it was still 15c one week before Crimbo...at midnight in Central Bristol!

It was 9c here yesterday and that was enough. Funny it was 20c min a few days earlier

i don't set a time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Still wearing shorts most days with my window open most of the time. Won't need heating for at least a month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Well southern had their train heaters on when I travelled last week when it was 33c (no joke) I admit though I was tempted Saturday night . I think it was my body in shock from all the heat 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hopefully all the way down here it will be very late until the heating is needed. The Atlantic will act as our blanket as we go into Winter. :D 

Edited by Costa Del Fal