Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

geo location not working

sriram

On a samsung galaxy j5

When I run my finger down from the top so that location icon is green (where WiFi  vibrate  screen rotation  and Bluetooth is located) and then select the geo location button from the radar - I get an error message - and tells me to select location which I have already done

Error message is sorry we are unable to get the coordinates from the browser please select the geo location option

Browser is Mozilla firefox

Thanks

Edited by sriram
info

Posted

If you switch the location service on once the page is loaded, you'll need to refresh the page and then say yes/allow when the browser asks if it can use your location :) 

Still having problems in getting this to work

I have the Firefox beta browser installed

The location icon is green and on for my phone

In about:config for my browser for the Firefox beta browser,   geo.enabled is set to true

After doing this and refreshing the browser and then pressing the geo-tracker button,  I get an error message:-

The page at http://www.netweather.tv says: 

Sorry we are unable to get coordinates from your browser - please switch on the Geo-Location option

The geo location option is switched on within the phone and for the browser - but the facility of geo tracking does not work after this

Thanks Sriram

Edited by sriram
Info

Posted

The browser will ask permission to use your location for each site that requests it, so if you've denied permission previously then you'll need to go into settings and revoke that. If it's not that, being a beta version, it may be that there's a bug in the browser. 

As it seems likely there is a bug in the browser - can you suggest a browser that I can try that supports all the features of the netweather radar ?

Thanks

Edit - geo location works fine on Chrome browser

Edited by sriram
Info

Posted

It works fine in the stable version of Firefox too, and should work in all the major browsers (and I'm sure in the vast majority of others too). Using beta versions of any browser (or indeed other software) always carries the risk of things not working though, so would always recommend sticking with the stable versions unless you have a specific reason to use the beta test versions of things. 

Posted

It uses the api in the browser to get your location so will only place you where the browser function tells it you are, have you got location etc switched on, on your phone? If so, perhaps clear the cache. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Paul said:

It uses the api in the browser to get your location so will only place you where the browser function tells it you are, have you got location etc switched on, on your phone? If so, perhaps clear the cache. 

This is on the PC Paul. I use it alongside a light opacity on the radar echoes so that I can easily see it when the precip is over me. It was working ok before I changed my IP address, but I thought it used some other method? This is the first time it has put me in Devon though.  :cc_confused:

I've tested it on 4 browsers, all of which show me in Devon.

I think this could be a Windows 10 issue? I use a cabled connection for the PC, so it seems it is reporting where my data centre is, rather than my location? 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

It could be, on a pc with no geo facilities it'll link from the ip. so if your isp doesn't report a more accurate location using that, then it'll revert to the datacentre.

• 2 weeks later...

Geo location not working on J5 and A3 Samsung phones when outside currently

Browser is chrome - do I need to change it to something else - tried toggling green location button, refresh and geo button press in various orders and sequences -and it still does not work

Interesting to note that geo location does work on wifi when indoors when I tried it this morning- very strange

My samsung phones J5 and A3 pick up 4G when outside

Thanks

Edited by sriram
Info

Posted

If it's working in the house but not outside when you have geo switched on, then the likeliest issue is that the gps on the phone isn't picking up the satellites, you need to give it some time to do so, and once it does it'll pass the info to the browser. 

Posted

It's hard to say what the issue may be, as we've tested using gps outdoors etc on devices and not seen a problem, and at this point you're the only person who's reporting this. 

What it could be is something on your phone, or perhaps a GPS reception issue in your location. Are you able to use GPS in other applications? 

Just to update - tried geo location on both Samsung J5 and A3 today outside on both phones and it does work

Seems to be a bit hit and miss if it works outside - guess its something to do with reception of GPS outside for the netweather geo location facility in particular - for the J5 and A3 phones

The only thing I am not sure of is what order you are supposed to press the following things in order to pick up the signal - that is the green location button at the top of my phone, refresh button for my chrome browser, and the geolocation button for the netweather radar

Thanks Sriram

Edited by sriram