Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Air Frost watch season 2016-2017

damianslaw

Posted

Min of 4.9C last night, coldest since June 4th (4.8C)

I have actually scraped an air frost in September before, 2010 at -0.1C (and even a ground frost in August with 3.0C on the 30th in 2010). In contrast 2009 waited until December the 1st.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, 4wd said:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IUNITEDK529

This is in Farndale North York Moors, they got below 3C early this morning - really good frost hollow there.

Nice one. I picked up a cold pocket on the M1 near Luton at 5:30am, 7c. Generally 9-10c elsewhere around the Midlands

Posted
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

2.4c early doors there Colin, 5c colder than yourself:cc_confused:

You need look at the wind, there was a westerly between 5mph and 10mph here all night but in the bottom of Farndale (just over the hill) it was practically calm all night.
I'm in a valley but not right at the bottom, plus we are a wider more open valley the wind can get in more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, 4wd said:

You need look at the wind, there was a westerly between 5mph and 10mph here all night but in the bottom of Farndale (just over the hill) it was practically calm all night.
I'm in a valley but not right at the bottom, plus we are a wider more open valley the wind can get in more.

All very fascinating! We fell to 8c this morning, we are also exposed slightly to the wind here being on the edge of a hillside 30m above the River Derwent. Monday morning looks like another cold one, poss a touch cooler than last night so we may well see the first ground frost of the season in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
10 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

All very fascinating! We fell to 8c this morning, we are also exposed slightly to the wind here being on the edge of a hillside 30m above the River Derwent. Monday morning looks like another cold one, poss a touch cooler than last night so we may well see the first ground frost of the season in places.

You could be in luck, surface pressure charts forecast for the wider region has high-pressure in place across England following some NW winds going into October:

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=eur&run=00&mod=gemglb&stn=PNM&hh=000&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=gemglb&stn2=PNM&hh2=033&fixhh=1

Edited by iapennell
  • Like 1

Posted
On 05/09/2016 at 19:15, Frosty hollows said:

Well, I shall let you know as soon as I record one being so favourably placed! The coldest I've recorded was - 17.1 C in 2010. Yet, we get very little in the way of snow

I remember that particular morning. Here 12 miles down the road in Reading we recorded a minimum of -7.1, exactly 10 degrees 'warmer', and we average only around 30-35 air frosts per year. Recent years have given us our first air frost remarkably consistently around the second week of November, which is about average here.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I remember that particular morning. Here 12 miles down the road in Reading we recorded a minimum of -7.1, exactly 10 degrees 'warmer', and we average only around 30-35 air frosts per year. Recent years have given us our first air frost remarkably consistently around the second week of November, which is about average here.

It's amazing how local the weather is.Henley managed a mere -12 that night! I remember getting up at regular intervals to flush the downstairs toilet as it has no heating and is on an outside wall! Friend of mine wasn't so lucky and her loo pipes froze! Was an exceptionally cold period

Posted

Hoping this thread may see a bit more action come the weekend - still a bit off, but the models are suggesting a possible widespread ground frost over northern parts early hours of Sunday, with the usual frost prone spots seeing an air frost. Conditions do look conducive, uppers will be cold enough and winds look like falling light with, much will depend on cloud cover and if we see any showery activity. We shall see.

Early hours of Monday brought a min of 0.1 degrees in Aboyne just shy of an air frost.. so we still await the first sub freezing min of the season, quite late this year, I'm not including August as I class the 1 Sept as the start of the new season.

Posted
On 24 September 2016 at 18:37, Frosty hollows said:

It's amazing how local the weather is.Henley managed a mere -12 that night! I remember getting up at regular intervals to flush the downstairs toilet as it has no heating and is on an outside wall! Friend of mine wasn't so lucky and her loo pipes froze! Was an exceptionally cold period

Early January 2010, if I remember right. Woodford not far from me recorded -17.6C and I think exactly -17.0C the following night. I remember actually being disappointed in that; I wanted -20C! Was amazing to experience, the steam coming out of vents and manhole covers, the sound carrying for miles, and the sharp sting on the tip of my ears, all with about a foot of snow on the ground. Surreal, really, and that spell was more severe here than anything during December of the same year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
30 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

Early January 2010, if I remember right. Woodford not far from me recorded -17.6C and I think exactly -17.0C the following night. I remember actually being disappointed in that; I wanted -20C! Was amazing to experience, the steam coming out of vents and manhole covers, the sound carrying for miles, and the sharp sting on the tip of my ears, all with about a foot of snow on the ground. Surreal, really, and that spell was more severe here than anything during December of the same year.

Yes Woodford like here is sat in a frost hollow. We got down to -17.7C in January 2010 & -16.5C in the December. It's a shame they closed the weather station at Woodford as I really enjoyed comparing temps to here. Around here I wouldn't at all be surprised if the valley bottom got very close to -20C that year as my station is a bit higher up from it. People get very surprised at how cold low lying inland valley's can be with snow on the ground and clear skies at night, just look at Altnaharra, only 81m asl and it got down to -27.2C in 1995.

Posted
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Hoping this thread may see a bit more action come the weekend - still a bit off, but the models are suggesting a possible widespread ground frost over northern parts early hours of Sunday, with the usual frost prone spots seeing an air frost. Conditions do look conducive, uppers will be cold enough and winds look like falling light with, much will depend on cloud cover and if we see any showery activity. We shall see.

Early hours of Monday brought a min of 0.1 degrees in Aboyne just shy of an air frost.. so we still await the first sub freezing min of the season, quite late this year, I'm not including August as I class the 1 Sept as the start of the new season.

Yes this weekend looks like we may see the coldest temps of the Autumn, might go frost chasing :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 9/23/2016 at 08:35, Evening thunder said:

Min of 4.9C last night, coldest since June 4th (4.8C)

I have actually scraped an air frost in September before, 2010 at -0.1C (and even a ground frost in August with 3.0C on the 30th in 2010). In contrast 2009 waited until December the 1st.

How did you do on August 31st 2012? That's my coldest August reading to date.

Posted
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

How did you do on August 31st 2012? That's my coldest August reading to date.

I had 4.7C here then

Also 2014 gave 3.4, 3.8 and 3.8 degrees on the 20th, 21st and 24th, and July 2015 had 3.7C on the 31st. Seem to have had a number of notably cool minima in recent summers.

Posted

Expecting a few reports come Sunday, of first air and ground frosts in northern rural areas - around average. Fingers crossed we see a ground frost at least. 

• Like 1

Posted

Temps generally down to 4-7c overnight across the region but one well known cold spot fell to 1.2c so almost certain of a ground frost here. Potentially colder over the next couple of nights especially Monday morning.

Posted

Very little wind and still below 4C here, but we only got down to 3.1C.

Definite frost on grass for first time though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
On 28/09/2016 at 22:43, Evening thunder said:

I had 4.7C here then

Also 2014 gave 3.4, 3.8 and 3.8 degrees on the 20th, 21st and 24th, and July 2015 had 3.7C on the 31st. Seem to have had a number of notably cool minima in recent summers.

Indeed, the 31st July 2015 was the 5th coldest July minimum in CET history!

Posted

Quiet in here this evening, would be good to know what the coldest spot currently is. Here temps are a bit higher than expected, currently 8.8 degrees, but we have clear skies and no wind  and I suspect a rapid drop will take place from now on..

Posted

0.5c here at 6.00am car frozen over and grass sparkling no frozen ground or ice on puddles so  not quite an air frost but a big change from the last few autumns

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

last night low here was 3.7c. Coldest early Oct night over the last number of years.

Posted

Remarkably last year I could count the ground frosts I had here in the SE on one hand. Hoping for more this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Overnight low of 0.4C here but due to a boozy night out I wasn't awake early enough to see any frost. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

-3.3°c 08:00 BST Tulloch Bridge
-2.8°c 07:00 BST Altnaharra Saws
-1.1°c 07:00 BST Loch Glascarnoch Saws
-1°c 06:00 BST Inverness / Dalcross
-0.8°c 08:00 BST Aviemore
-0.6°c 08:00 BST Strathallan

Air frosts this morning taken from the NW Top 20

• Like 2