Sign in to follow this  
Ed Stone

So who, apart from Muggins, has bought a TV License?

Well peeps, I've just gone and bought myself a TV license...Any other iPlayer-watchers done the same?:D

Edited by Nick L

Don't understand the whining by some people, myself. If you watch BBC content you can damn well pay for it like the rest of us!

10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Don't understand the whining by some people, myself. If you watch BBC content you can damn well pay for it like the rest of us!

I agree with that 100%, Nick. And why would anyone fork-out £30+, for the crap that Sky et al  put out? Can you put a comma after 'Muggins', in the title, please?

28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well peeps, I've just gone and bought myself a TV license...Any other iPlayer-watchers done the same?:D

Having found the record failed, I went into iplayer last night to watch the 'hour to save your life' and was taken aback to see the bit about a licence. I clicked yes and it worked fine but was expecting to have to put in a reference number or something like that.

I do have a British licence anyway - for my house the grandson and girlfriend live in - as is usual in such circumstances, granny still pays the utility bills!

Just now, Nouska said:

Having found the record failed, I went into iplayer last night to watch the 'hour to save your life' and was taken aback to see the bit about a licence. I clicked yes and it worked fine but was expecting to have to put in a reference number or something like that.

I do have a British licence anyway - for my house the grandson and girlfriend live in - as is usual in such circumstances, granny still pays the utility bills!

It's a bit of a rubbish check isn't it? It was the same on the live TV streams they have on the BBC sites.

8 minutes ago, Nouska said:

It is rather pathetic innit? It's a joke really, but I cannot lie (hence my stance on Brexit)...And thanks Nick for altering the title!:D

Had an issue with this in my local shop, they have an internet cafe built onto the side of the building and I service their systems for them, seeing as their Dell contract has ended.

They had a visit from a TV licensing bloke a couple of months ago demanding them to pay for a license,the shop then asked me to block access to all of the on demand content from BBC iPlayer and other catch up services, which I did, also attempted to block some of the proxy services using the router firewall, licensing guy demanded still that they purchase a license even though I've printed logs off for the last 4 months showing no content has been accessed, the issue is still ongoing! Not too sure where they stand on this one

6 hours ago, Essex Easterly said:

Had an issue with this in my local shop, they have an internet cafe built onto the side of the building and I service their systems for them, seeing as their Dell contract has ended.

They had a visit from a TV licensing bloke a couple of months ago demanding them to pay for a license,the shop then asked me to block access to all of the on demand content from BBC iPlayer and other catch up services, which I did, also attempted to block some of the proxy services using the router firewall, licensing guy demanded still that they purchase a license even though I've printed logs off for the last 4 months showing no content has been accessed, the issue is still ongoing! Not too sure where they stand on this one

They do say if you have a tv, computer, you have to have a licence because you can access their broadcasts.

So I don't think it matters if you don't watch the BBC, basically TV's/Computers are taxed twice. When you first buy them, and then yearly like road tax for cars.

I'm guessing they don't really know what to do about somewhere that can prove that can't access BBC broadcasts.

Edited by alexisj9

6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

They do say if you have a tv, computer, you have to have a licence because you can access their broadcasts.

So I don't think it matters if you don't, basically TV's/Computers are taxed twice. When you first buy them, and then yearly like road tax for cars.

I'm guessing they don't really know what to do about somewhere that can prove that can't access BBC broadcasts.

Well I'd rather pay £149 per year for the BBC, ITV and History (have they got past 1945 yet?) than fork out something like £360 per year for Sky...Isn't that also rather like paying a third tax?

I did once bemoan the licence fee, then I woke up and saw what the likes of SKY charged to what you got and now happily pay it[BBC not SKY], always did and always will.

£12 a month is nothing compared, what is SKY these days? £36+ basic (not including any sucker deals), so three times the cost and you still get adverts.

Simple message to those that complain, it is like SKY, don't pay then don't watch it/cannot get it, after all they costs still have to come from somewhere.

If the BBC went subscription I would still pay for it, less than I can say for the likes of SKY et all.

Also if you *MUST* see a series on SKY, I realised I could only see 4/5 episodes a month of it max, yet wait a few months and get the box set for £17-£22 approx for all 22 odd episodes, so less than one months sub and you had the lot, you have to watch a lot of TV to match that or beat it (I do about 3-4 hours a week).

*hides back under stone*

Aye Jax and Alexis - I'm now watching the Sweaty Socks 'thrash' Macedonia 0-0...I couldn't do that with Netflix...But, with the 'MSM'?:D

PS: Scotland 0-1 Macedonia...Thank you BBC Alba!

Edited by Ed Stone

1 hour ago, Essex Easterly said:

BBC are vermin, want money off everyone and I thought the inland revenue was bad. I pay £7.50 a month for sky movies only and everyone pays a license fee, yet the BBC seem to have three film premiers a year:rofl: and even they are Sky left overs.

2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

BBC are vermin, want money off everyone and I thought the inland revenue was bad. I pay £7.50 a month for sky movies only and everyone pays a license fee, yet the BBC seem to have three film premiers a year:rofl: and even they are Sky left overs.

disagree there.  Sky Movies have a different agreement to BBC on film rights and when they can be shown, same as it was with the film shops before (used to work in them), SKY pay for it and charge you for it long before as PPV long before the BBC does at a lower rate on freeview.

4 hours ago, Essex Easterly said:

Didn't even know that internet cafes still existed!

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Didn't even know that internet cafes still existed!

library here

6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well I'd rather pay £149 per year for the BBC, ITV and History (have they got past 1945 yet?) than fork out something like £360 per year for Sky...Isn't that also rather like paying a third tax?

Just got in from karaoke a bit tipsy and realised I missed some words out, from what I was trying to say above. Edited now.

My wife has free TV license  .having reached the necessary age of being in her 70's. Not free until then. You have to be 75 years old..... to get a free one...

I know it's not fair, but when we have a friend had no money, we have taken a fare for two, while the other used the access through a proxy and changed ip adress. A kind of lifehacking. :)

Edited by Sunmef

No idea why the BBC don't do away with the license and just encrypt their services instead. Oh hang on, yes I do have an idea...because they most likely make more money this way.

On 03/09/2016 at 19:55, Snowyowl9 said:

If your pension age its free.

Nup, you have to be over 75 atm. 

Edit: I see ARDEMOLE has already replied.

Edited by frogesque

Don't watch the beeb so shouldn't have to pay for a license, when is match of the day back on, after the international break

yup, it's a bit of a pain to pay a license fee for something I hardly use....but to be honest, it's the only TV I pay for....when i want to watch sky or pay-tv, I just use Kodi...job done